Controversial Killington wind turbine plan approved

First published in News
Last updated

CONTROVERSIAL plans to build three large wind turbines close to the Yorkshire Dales National Park have been approved.

Opinion had been polarised over whether planners should approve the application to site the trio of 132 metre turbines to land north of Killington Reservoir.

South Lakeland District Council's planning committee this morning went against their officers recommendation to refuse and gave the thumbs up to the plan.

Concerns had been raised over the affect the turbines would have on local wildlife, scenery and the tourism trade - with one member of the public describing the area as ‘wind farm alley’.

Supporters included South Lakes Action on Climate Change, Radiation Free Lakeland and Queen Elizabeth School pupil Laura Hunt.

Chris Rowley, of SLACC, said: “I'm not naive enough to imagine it will solve climate change but have an ethical responsibility to do what we can.”

However Dr Malcolm Petyt, of the Yorkshire Dales Society, said: "It would be an enormous man-made feature in the landscape that maintains its natural feel."

Mike Hall, of Friends of Eden, Lakeland & Lunesdale Scenery, echoed that view. He said: “It is perverse that the area is relentlessly targeted. Please stop this becoming wind farm alley.”

And Norman Atkins, a retired planning officer, said: “The turbines would relegate the natural grandeur of the fells to a backdrop of brutal engineering.”

Nearby parish councils also opposed the application, citing the detrimental visual impact of the turbines as one of their main objections.

There was also opposition from Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority, Cumbria County Council, Friends of the Lake District, Natural England, Friends of Kirkby Lonsdale and District Civic Society, the Open Spaces Society and Killington Wildlife Group.

Phil Dyke, development director at Banks Renewables, said after the decision: “We’re very pleased that South Lakeland District Council’s planning committee has agreed with our view that this is a well-designed scheme that is set in a suitable location, and that the committee members have taken note of the local support that this project has received.

“More than 1,400 letters were submitted to the Council in support of the Killington wind farm, the vast majority of which came from people living within ten miles of the site. It will be the people of the area who will enjoy the economic, social and employment benefits that it will bring to their community, and we’re extremely grateful to all those who have strongly supported this project in the run-up to and at today’s committee meeting.

“As well as helping to generate more of the energy that we all use through renewable means, this project will see up to 50 people working on site through its construction and will lead to contracts worth around £2m becoming available for tender to local businesses around various different aspects of its development."

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:53pm Thu 30 Jan 14

cumbrianrealist says...

By economic benefits I guess you mean the bribery of local residents. A sad day for Cumbria!
By economic benefits I guess you mean the bribery of local residents. A sad day for Cumbria! cumbrianrealist
  • Score: 0

6:04pm Thu 30 Jan 14

JuJuCumbria says...

I cannot believe this has been approved. I'm not sure people realise how massive these turbines will be. A very sad day.
I cannot believe this has been approved. I'm not sure people realise how massive these turbines will be. A very sad day. JuJuCumbria
  • Score: 2

6:32pm Thu 30 Jan 14

furthersouth says...

great news, the benefits of these mighty machines is clear. In time they will be commonplace and accepted, like in the forward thinking Northern European countries. Once the NIMBYS have, without sounding disrespectful, have passed, the children of today will see the benefits of greener energy production, In 10/20 years time no one will bat an eyelid about wind turbines. Get over it NIMBYS.
great news, the benefits of these mighty machines is clear. In time they will be commonplace and accepted, like in the forward thinking Northern European countries. Once the NIMBYS have, without sounding disrespectful, have passed, the children of today will see the benefits of greener energy production, In 10/20 years time no one will bat an eyelid about wind turbines. Get over it NIMBYS. furthersouth
  • Score: -15

6:51pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Yarbles says...

How depressing. Will this ever stop, where next I wonder. These things will be huge, 132m is massive and entirely out of proportion with the landscape.
Planning rules need to be changed - how did such a poor application with major technical errors in it get through planning, absolute farce.
How can people be so stupid! Unbelievable.
How depressing. Will this ever stop, where next I wonder. These things will be huge, 132m is massive and entirely out of proportion with the landscape. Planning rules need to be changed - how did such a poor application with major technical errors in it get through planning, absolute farce. How can people be so stupid! Unbelievable. Yarbles
  • Score: 6

6:54pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Wind Energy's Absurd says...

It's a very sad day indeed.
It will be interesting to learn of the rationale behind the committee's decision to overturn their planner's robust advice and to ignore the objections of the NGOs and individuals who objected, equally robustly. It will also be interesting to hear, in detail, the grounds of the debate in committee
It's a very sad day indeed. It will be interesting to learn of the rationale behind the committee's decision to overturn their planner's robust advice and to ignore the objections of the NGOs and individuals who objected, equally robustly. It will also be interesting to hear, in detail, the grounds of the debate in committee Wind Energy's Absurd
  • Score: 6

10:22pm Thu 30 Jan 14

meroepyramid says...

I was present at the Planning Committee meeting today. I have never before witnessed such a shambles at a planning committee meeting in the north west - and I have been to many. The application was very poorly presented, we had to suffer a pointless video for 8 minutes, the primary reasons for recommending refusal were not explained nor highlighted. The supporting Councillors (I assume lib dems) showed complete ignorance of the main issues. They showed no understanding of the impact this development will have on the Howgills and YDNP, and the National Park Extension, and totally ignored the impacts the turbines will have on an iconic and very rare bird - the osprey. Most Scottish Ospreys migrate through Killington but neither the Planning Officer or any of the councillors even bothered to mention the osprey and what the loss of even one bird would result in. It was embarrassing to see the majority of councillors behave in such a pathetic way. They voted for the money on offer and clearly have no understanding of climate change or how wind turbines actually add to the problem with their intermittent generation. They should be ashamed of themselves. 3 pathetic wind turbines will reverse climate change? With councillors like these God help us all!
I was present at the Planning Committee meeting today. I have never before witnessed such a shambles at a planning committee meeting in the north west - and I have been to many. The application was very poorly presented, we had to suffer a pointless video for 8 minutes, the primary reasons for recommending refusal were not explained nor highlighted. The supporting Councillors (I assume lib dems) showed complete ignorance of the main issues. They showed no understanding of the impact this development will have on the Howgills and YDNP, and the National Park Extension, and totally ignored the impacts the turbines will have on an iconic and very rare bird - the osprey. Most Scottish Ospreys migrate through Killington but neither the Planning Officer or any of the councillors even bothered to mention the osprey and what the loss of even one bird would result in. It was embarrassing to see the majority of councillors behave in such a pathetic way. They voted for the money on offer and clearly have no understanding of climate change or how wind turbines actually add to the problem with their intermittent generation. They should be ashamed of themselves. 3 pathetic wind turbines will reverse climate change? With councillors like these God help us all! meroepyramid
  • Score: 22

4:18am Fri 31 Jan 14

JimTraficantforPresident says...

Another well balanced article from the Gazette. It reports the pro side of the "controversial" plan but reports nothing from the con side.
Another well balanced article from the Gazette. It reports the pro side of the "controversial" plan but reports nothing from the con side. JimTraficantforPresident
  • Score: 4

5:23am Fri 31 Jan 14

searcher21c says...

Do we know who the councillors were who supported this?
Do we know who the councillors were who supported this? searcher21c
  • Score: 10

7:09am Fri 31 Jan 14

Moonbase says...

And these fools are the same people who want 'World Heritage' status.
Another blot on the landscape!!!!
And these fools are the same people who want 'World Heritage' status. Another blot on the landscape!!!! Moonbase
  • Score: -4

7:44am Fri 31 Jan 14

A view From Cumbria says...

Refusal was moved by David Williams (Con) and seconded by Janette Jenkinson (Con). On the vote this was defeated with only the mover, seconder and John Holmes (Con) supporting the motion to refuse.

There was then some further discussion before a motion to approve was moved, not sure who by and seconded etc. All Lib Dems present and the Labour member and two Conservatives voted for the motion.

The meeting was chaired by Sheila Eccles (Lib Dem) in a very constructive manner, the committee chairman Ian McPherson (LD) having claimed a cumulative interest making it inappropriate for him to chair the meeting. This was not challenged.

The LD and Labour contributions demonstrated very little understanding of the landscape issues and the reported contribution from Brenda Gray was exceptionally offensive in light of the fact that three years ago she alone prevented SLDC opposing the extention of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. I would welcome an explanation of the apparent inconsistency in her two positions.

Whatever your position it is clear that a vote for Lib Dems in South Lakeland including the European and Westminster candidates is a vote for more windfarms in areas which they themselves describe as being of the highest landscape quality.

Farron will squirm but that is the realitly from yesterday.
Refusal was moved by David Williams (Con) and seconded by Janette Jenkinson (Con). On the vote this was defeated with only the mover, seconder and John Holmes (Con) supporting the motion to refuse. There was then some further discussion before a motion to approve was moved, not sure who by and seconded etc. All Lib Dems present and the Labour member and two Conservatives voted for the motion. The meeting was chaired by Sheila Eccles (Lib Dem) in a very constructive manner, the committee chairman Ian McPherson (LD) having claimed a cumulative interest making it inappropriate for him to chair the meeting. This was not challenged. The LD and Labour contributions demonstrated very little understanding of the landscape issues and the reported contribution from Brenda Gray was exceptionally offensive in light of the fact that three years ago she alone prevented SLDC opposing the extention of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. I would welcome an explanation of the apparent inconsistency in her two positions. Whatever your position it is clear that a vote for Lib Dems in South Lakeland including the European and Westminster candidates is a vote for more windfarms in areas which they themselves describe as being of the highest landscape quality. Farron will squirm but that is the realitly from yesterday. A view From Cumbria
  • Score: 9

10:00am Fri 31 Jan 14

SadSally says...

Well, you can say goodbye to the many tourists that enjoyed the peace and quiet of this beautiful and comparatively unspoilt area of what was Westmorland.
The difference in height and thus speed will draw the eye, and distract for walkers and for drivers, and yes they will be seen from the M6 as well.
The noise will be horrendous 1km away and restful sleeping no longer possible.
What HAVE they done?
And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning - and there is nothing so sad as a shredded marsh harrier, unless of course its an Osprey in bits.
PS. I write nothing I cannot evidence!
Well, you can say goodbye to the many tourists that enjoyed the peace and quiet of this beautiful and comparatively unspoilt area of what was Westmorland. The difference in height and thus speed will draw the eye, and distract for walkers and for drivers, and yes they will be seen from the M6 as well. The noise will be horrendous 1km away and restful sleeping no longer possible. What HAVE they done? And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning - and there is nothing so sad as a shredded marsh harrier, unless of course its an Osprey in bits. PS. I write nothing I cannot evidence! SadSally
  • Score: 2

11:32am Fri 31 Jan 14

phil_smith says...

What a sad day. We gave up using windmills many years ago. They were inefficient then and are not much better now. What are the folks who voted for this proposal thinking of? It is a shame that they have contributed to ruining the planet through their actions in destroying rare countryside and allowing this monstrous carbuncle to be built. (We do of course have a perfectly safe and efficient solution to green power by building more nuclear stations).
We CAN engineer a better solution than this!
Countryside lover
What a sad day. We gave up using windmills many years ago. They were inefficient then and are not much better now. What are the folks who voted for this proposal thinking of? It is a shame that they have contributed to ruining the planet through their actions in destroying rare countryside and allowing this monstrous carbuncle to be built. (We do of course have a perfectly safe and efficient solution to green power by building more nuclear stations). We CAN engineer a better solution than this! Countryside lover phil_smith
  • Score: 3

3:39pm Fri 31 Jan 14

onelocal says...

What really made the mainly Lib Dem faction vote for this, going against their own planning officer (why employ him?), the County Council, all the local Parish Councils, the two National Park bodies, Natural England, the Friends of the Lake District, Kirkby Lonsdale and Eden, The Open Space Society, the Killington Wild Life Group and the Yorkshire Dales Society, as well as over 1000 local objectors? What makes those on SLDC think that they are more knowledgeable than the combined strength of opinion against this development. Was it the Lib Dem whip, the "we who must be obeyed" mindset of the council", or is there something that requires further investigation? Whatever it is, it shows the electorate that the Lib Dems at SLDC are so entrenched in power that they are no longer listening to the electorate. When that happens it's a clear indication that it's time for a change. Elections are approaching.
What really made the mainly Lib Dem faction vote for this, going against their own planning officer (why employ him?), the County Council, all the local Parish Councils, the two National Park bodies, Natural England, the Friends of the Lake District, Kirkby Lonsdale and Eden, The Open Space Society, the Killington Wild Life Group and the Yorkshire Dales Society, as well as over 1000 local objectors? What makes those on SLDC think that they are more knowledgeable than the combined strength of opinion against this development. Was it the Lib Dem whip, the "we who must be obeyed" mindset of the council", or is there something that requires further investigation? Whatever it is, it shows the electorate that the Lib Dems at SLDC are so entrenched in power that they are no longer listening to the electorate. When that happens it's a clear indication that it's time for a change. Elections are approaching. onelocal
  • Score: 12

4:59pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Keeping_it_real says...

Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning"

Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick
er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?
Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning" Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers? Keeping_it_real
  • Score: -2

6:00pm Fri 31 Jan 14

SadSally says...

Keeping_it_real wrote:
Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning"

Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick

er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?
Or of course farmers with turbines on their land can go and pick the bits up themselves. No need to emply someone then.

http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=FSksoxoPx
cI 40 seconds in

http://www.rspb.org.
uk/community/ourwork
/farming/b/farming-b
log/archive/2013/07/
17/nicholas-watts-gi
ves-nature-a-home.as
px

Like I said - this is fact.
[quote][p][bold]Keeping_it_real[/bold] wrote: Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning" Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?[/p][/quote]Or of course farmers with turbines on their land can go and pick the bits up themselves. No need to emply someone then. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=FSksoxoPx cI 40 seconds in http://www.rspb.org. uk/community/ourwork /farming/b/farming-b log/archive/2013/07/ 17/nicholas-watts-gi ves-nature-a-home.as px Like I said - this is fact. SadSally
  • Score: -8

6:10pm Fri 31 Jan 14

meroepyramid says...

NOF‐BirdLife Norway calls for improved requirements for environmental impact assessments associated with establishment of new windfarms and
power lines. By January 2014, a total of 54 white‐tailed eagles have been documented killed at the windfarm at Smøla, Møre og Romsdal alone.

Data is in the report just issued:

http://birdlife.no/i
nnhold/bilder/2014/0
1/27/2582/nof_rappor
t_12014.pdf

Ospreys have similar flight paths / habits to white tailed eagles.........
NOF‐BirdLife Norway calls for improved requirements for environmental impact assessments associated with establishment of new windfarms and power lines. By January 2014, a total of 54 white‐tailed eagles have been documented killed at the windfarm at Smøla, Møre og Romsdal alone. Data is in the report just issued: http://birdlife.no/i nnhold/bilder/2014/0 1/27/2582/nof_rappor t_12014.pdf Ospreys have similar flight paths / habits to white tailed eagles......... meroepyramid
  • Score: 0

6:46pm Fri 31 Jan 14

eco and logical says...

SadSally wrote:
Keeping_it_real wrote:
Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning"

Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick


er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?
Or of course farmers with turbines on their land can go and pick the bits up themselves. No need to emply someone then.

http://www.youtube.c

om/watch?v=FSksoxoPx

cI 40 seconds in

http://www.rspb.org.

uk/community/ourwork

/farming/b/farming-b

log/archive/2013/07/

17/nicholas-watts-gi

ves-nature-a-home.as

px

Like I said - this is fact.
Sad Sally claims she has evidence of birds being mashed by wind turbines. I have checked her links and they contain NO evidence - just a video clip from an anti-windfarm propaganda film.

I have worked on assessing the environmental impacts of windfarms in Scotland and, despite the temptation not to, had windfarm operators report bird casualties to help provide a scientific basis for understanding the issue - rather than just heresay.

I am very pleased that we have councillors who can show leadership in tackling climate change. We all use electricity and we live in a hilly windy area - we need to take positive action to move to low carbon energy and stop hoping someone else will address climate change in their backyard and avoid ours.
[quote][p][bold]SadSally[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keeping_it_real[/bold] wrote: Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning" Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?[/p][/quote]Or of course farmers with turbines on their land can go and pick the bits up themselves. No need to emply someone then. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=FSksoxoPx cI 40 seconds in http://www.rspb.org. uk/community/ourwork /farming/b/farming-b log/archive/2013/07/ 17/nicholas-watts-gi ves-nature-a-home.as px Like I said - this is fact.[/p][/quote]Sad Sally claims she has evidence of birds being mashed by wind turbines. I have checked her links and they contain NO evidence - just a video clip from an anti-windfarm propaganda film. I have worked on assessing the environmental impacts of windfarms in Scotland and, despite the temptation not to, had windfarm operators report bird casualties to help provide a scientific basis for understanding the issue - rather than just heresay. I am very pleased that we have councillors who can show leadership in tackling climate change. We all use electricity and we live in a hilly windy area - we need to take positive action to move to low carbon energy and stop hoping someone else will address climate change in their backyard and avoid ours. eco and logical
  • Score: 5

8:20pm Fri 31 Jan 14

furthersouth says...

Did you know that Bats explose when they fly behind wind turbines due to a pressure change? Did you know that at certain time sof the day, when the sun is in a certain position, the blade flicker can set off seizures? If the blades get struck by lightening they can fall apart? If the gearbox fails, they can go into overspeed and explode sending debris for miles? Did you know everything you read on the internet is true?

I work with folk who work on windfarms on a daily basis, and have not yet met anyone who has to clean up dead bird debris.
Did you know that Bats explose when they fly behind wind turbines due to a pressure change? Did you know that at certain time sof the day, when the sun is in a certain position, the blade flicker can set off seizures? If the blades get struck by lightening they can fall apart? If the gearbox fails, they can go into overspeed and explode sending debris for miles? Did you know everything you read on the internet is true? I work with folk who work on windfarms on a daily basis, and have not yet met anyone who has to clean up dead bird debris. furthersouth
  • Score: 7

9:01pm Fri 31 Jan 14

life cycle too says...

I heard that the turbines will be the height of Blackpool Tower.

Very impressive. I shall add them to the list of turbines to visit! I visited Lambrigg on one of the open days, and went inside a turbine.There was little noise from the site - a tractor a few fields away was making more noise!

I don't believe they are the saviours of the green energy drive - that needs hydro power at the very least, But I don't hold that they are the visual nightmare some claim either... I find them relaxing and don't mind watching them in action.
I wonder if Hadrians Wall, the Old Bridge House, or Edinburgh Castle arouse such resentful protests?
I heard that the turbines will be the height of Blackpool Tower. Very impressive. I shall add them to the list of turbines to visit! I visited Lambrigg on one of the open days, and went inside a turbine.There was little noise from the site - a tractor a few fields away was making more noise! I don't believe they are the saviours of the green energy drive - that needs hydro power at the very least, But I don't hold that they are the visual nightmare some claim either... I find them relaxing and don't mind watching them in action. I wonder if Hadrians Wall, the Old Bridge House, or Edinburgh Castle arouse such resentful protests? life cycle too
  • Score: 2

12:02am Sat 1 Feb 14

SadSally says...

eco and logical wrote:
SadSally wrote:
Keeping_it_real wrote:
Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning"

Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick



er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?
Or of course farmers with turbines on their land can go and pick the bits up themselves. No need to emply someone then.

http://www.youtube.c


om/watch?v=FSksoxoPx


cI 40 seconds in

http://www.rspb.org.


uk/community/ourwork


/farming/b/farming-b


log/archive/2013/07/


17/nicholas-watts-gi


ves-nature-a-home.as


px

Like I said - this is fact.
Sad Sally claims she has evidence of birds being mashed by wind turbines. I have checked her links and they contain NO evidence - just a video clip from an anti-windfarm propaganda film.

I have worked on assessing the environmental impacts of windfarms in Scotland and, despite the temptation not to, had windfarm operators report bird casualties to help provide a scientific basis for understanding the issue - rather than just heresay.

I am very pleased that we have councillors who can show leadership in tackling climate change. We all use electricity and we live in a hilly windy area - we need to take positive action to move to low carbon energy and stop hoping someone else will address climate change in their backyard and avoid ours.
The video clip is of an actual farmer, who has wind turbines on his land, and part owns two of them himself, admitting that they kill birds, and then showing one of the mangled birds to the cameraman. he, the farmer is a very well known supprorter of the RSPB, and has an MBE for his work with conservation, he accepts that bird kill is a sad part of the price to pay, for what he, and others, believe to be a better way of creating energy.
Those are the facts and the evidence is there in the links.
[quote][p][bold]eco and logical[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SadSally[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keeping_it_real[/bold] wrote: Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning" Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?[/p][/quote]Or of course farmers with turbines on their land can go and pick the bits up themselves. No need to emply someone then. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=FSksoxoPx cI 40 seconds in http://www.rspb.org. uk/community/ourwork /farming/b/farming-b log/archive/2013/07/ 17/nicholas-watts-gi ves-nature-a-home.as px Like I said - this is fact.[/p][/quote]Sad Sally claims she has evidence of birds being mashed by wind turbines. I have checked her links and they contain NO evidence - just a video clip from an anti-windfarm propaganda film. I have worked on assessing the environmental impacts of windfarms in Scotland and, despite the temptation not to, had windfarm operators report bird casualties to help provide a scientific basis for understanding the issue - rather than just heresay. I am very pleased that we have councillors who can show leadership in tackling climate change. We all use electricity and we live in a hilly windy area - we need to take positive action to move to low carbon energy and stop hoping someone else will address climate change in their backyard and avoid ours.[/p][/quote]The video clip is of an actual farmer, who has wind turbines on his land, and part owns two of them himself, admitting that they kill birds, and then showing one of the mangled birds to the cameraman. he, the farmer is a very well known supprorter of the RSPB, and has an MBE for his work with conservation, he accepts that bird kill is a sad part of the price to pay, for what he, and others, believe to be a better way of creating energy. Those are the facts and the evidence is there in the links. SadSally
  • Score: -4

10:14am Sat 1 Feb 14

JimTraficantforPresident says...

Keeping_it_real wrote:
Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning"

Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick

er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?
As a regular user of the Old Scotch Road I used to often see two buzzards in the field at the junction infront of the new turbines. I have not seen them since the new turbines were constructed.
[quote][p][bold]Keeping_it_real[/bold] wrote: Keep calm, this will all blow over eventually. Although SadSally's comment made me curious "And as for the birds - well - most wind farm operators who have turbines on bird flight paths make sure that any mashed up birds are cleared early every morning" Since you say you can evidence everything you write, perhaps you could share a link with said evidence? Assuming the wind farm operators have someone to collect said "mashed-up" birds, they must then employ "mashed-up-bird-pick er-upper-errs". Unsuprisingly, a quick Google search reavels no such vacancies? How strange? Perhaps you're simply spitting feathers?[/p][/quote]As a regular user of the Old Scotch Road I used to often see two buzzards in the field at the junction infront of the new turbines. I have not seen them since the new turbines were constructed. JimTraficantforPresident
  • Score: -1

2:58pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Kendal Jock says...

Typical of the ignorant and abrasive Lib Dems, forcing their very expensive green agenda on the populace without a thought to the very environment they are ruining. Next it'll be new affordable housing for immigrants only.
Typical of the ignorant and abrasive Lib Dems, forcing their very expensive green agenda on the populace without a thought to the very environment they are ruining. Next it'll be new affordable housing for immigrants only. Kendal Jock
  • Score: 4

4:19pm Sat 1 Feb 14

brokenbanjo says...

Beauty is evidently in the eye of the beholder for that part of Westorland. It's a desolate ecological desert. The turbines at Old Hutton actually improve the view since they drag your eyes from the fields below. We need electricity, we need to cut down on the amount of CO2 we release, unless the current weather becomes the norm. But then again, the selfish generation don't really care about the future, just themselves. Wind plus hydropower could work in a mountainous area such as the Lake District.
Beauty is evidently in the eye of the beholder for that part of Westorland. It's a desolate ecological desert. The turbines at Old Hutton actually improve the view since they drag your eyes from the fields below. We need electricity, we need to cut down on the amount of CO2 we release, unless the current weather becomes the norm. But then again, the selfish generation don't really care about the future, just themselves. Wind plus hydropower could work in a mountainous area such as the Lake District. brokenbanjo
  • Score: -6

5:11am Sun 2 Feb 14

JimTraficantforPresident says...

brokenbanjo, your statement that "The turbines at Old Hutton actually improve the view since they drag your eyes from the fields below" is patently ridiculous. The landscape up there is a superb representation of local rough fell pasture complete with attendant wild life. Also, the view from Fairthorns Road above Killington Services looking towards the Reservoir, the Howgills and across the Dent Fells towards Barbon are superb. Funnily enough, the Motorway and the Services don't intrude upon the view as they have been really well screened. Something you can't say about wind turbines.
brokenbanjo, your statement that "The turbines at Old Hutton actually improve the view since they drag your eyes from the fields below" is patently ridiculous. The landscape up there is a superb representation of local rough fell pasture complete with attendant wild life. Also, the view from Fairthorns Road above Killington Services looking towards the Reservoir, the Howgills and across the Dent Fells towards Barbon are superb. Funnily enough, the Motorway and the Services don't intrude upon the view as they have been really well screened. Something you can't say about wind turbines. JimTraficantforPresident
  • Score: 9

1:27pm Sun 2 Feb 14

Andrew1980 says...

In the 33 years I have lived, countless birds have sadly died by mistaking my windows for something else, an unlucky few were mercilessly murdered by my car on the motorway.
Not to mention the veritable genicide that it the fault of the cat owners of the country.

So it is simple people, ban windows, cars and cats. SAVE THE BIRDS
In the 33 years I have lived, countless birds have sadly died by mistaking my windows for something else, an unlucky few were mercilessly murdered by my car on the motorway. Not to mention the veritable genicide that it the fault of the cat owners of the country. So it is simple people, ban windows, cars and cats. SAVE THE BIRDS Andrew1980
  • Score: 3

12:31pm Mon 3 Feb 14

marianneb says...

well done all those who supported this ... If we want electricity then wind, solar, tide and hydro are infinitely less damaging than nuclear. No doubt when the fossil fuel runs out electricity from all of the above will be needed to cool the wastes and continually shore up nuclear waste dumps.
well done all those who supported this ... If we want electricity then wind, solar, tide and hydro are infinitely less damaging than nuclear. No doubt when the fossil fuel runs out electricity from all of the above will be needed to cool the wastes and continually shore up nuclear waste dumps. marianneb
  • Score: -8

6:40am Wed 5 Feb 14

searcher21c says...

I wouldn't say well done at all and I'll remember come election time. Is it true that there is no right of appeal for local people and organisations on this, whereas if the decision had gone the other way the turbine developers could have appealed?
I wouldn't say well done at all and I'll remember come election time. Is it true that there is no right of appeal for local people and organisations on this, whereas if the decision had gone the other way the turbine developers could have appealed? searcher21c
  • Score: 3

9:15am Thu 6 Feb 14

moneypennie says...

I don't oppose all wind turbines on principle, but I do feel that the position of these three turbines is completely wrong. Once these beautiful landscapes have been ‘industrialised’ there is no going back. We go into hysterics over the loss of iconic paintings, raising huge sume of money to keep them in our national galleries, yet our beautiful landscape is allowed to be industrialized with hardly a thought. I wish SLDC - and Cumbria County Council - would look into providing a BIOGAS plant. WARMINSTER has recently installed one of these plants and they are an alternative to wind farms, where the circumstances are appropriate (i.e large farming communities with good road access to the BIOGAS site).

However, these BIOGAS sites require considerable effort and intellectual ability to set up, whereas the wind farms are just a 'tick-box' option with little or no effort needed on the part of the local authority.
I don't oppose all wind turbines on principle, but I do feel that the position of these three turbines is completely wrong. Once these beautiful landscapes have been ‘industrialised’ there is no going back. We go into hysterics over the loss of iconic paintings, raising huge sume of money to keep them in our national galleries, yet our beautiful landscape is allowed to be industrialized with hardly a thought. I wish SLDC - and Cumbria County Council - would look into providing a BIOGAS plant. WARMINSTER has recently installed one of these plants and they are an alternative to wind farms, where the circumstances are appropriate (i.e large farming communities with good road access to the BIOGAS site). However, these BIOGAS sites require considerable effort and intellectual ability to set up, whereas the wind farms are just a 'tick-box' option with little or no effort needed on the part of the local authority. moneypennie
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Thu 6 Feb 14

1985onwards says...

I cannot believe the ignorance of some of the comments here. Would you prefer the impressive sight of these very clean looking turbines amongst an otherwise unspoilt landscape or a ruined landscape further poisoned by the use of fossil fuels? Green energy is the only way forward we have if we are to continue as a species. We will lose what we have without this.
The ignorance of the 'do they need another three' and 'immigrants' comments shows the narrow mindedness of some Cumbrians who are just interested in their house prices & local snobbery rights.
I for one love the view of the new Old Hutton farm from driving over Kendal Bypass, a true indication of our positive impact on our environment. I have driven around Europe and this is a very common sight even in rural France & Germany.
Compare this to the unsightly Coal stations of North Yorkshire, I'm sure we are paying a small price.
I cannot believe the ignorance of some of the comments here. Would you prefer the impressive sight of these very clean looking turbines amongst an otherwise unspoilt landscape or a ruined landscape further poisoned by the use of fossil fuels? Green energy is the only way forward we have if we are to continue as a species. We will lose what we have without this. The ignorance of the 'do they need another three' and 'immigrants' comments shows the narrow mindedness of some Cumbrians who are just interested in their house prices & local snobbery rights. I for one love the view of the new Old Hutton farm from driving over Kendal Bypass, a true indication of our positive impact on our environment. I have driven around Europe and this is a very common sight even in rural France & Germany. Compare this to the unsightly Coal stations of North Yorkshire, I'm sure we are paying a small price. 1985onwards
  • Score: 1

12:37pm Thu 6 Feb 14

1985onwards says...

1985onwards wrote:
I cannot believe the ignorance of some of the comments here. Would you prefer the impressive sight of these very clean looking turbines amongst an otherwise unspoilt landscape or a ruined landscape further poisoned by the use of fossil fuels? Green energy is the only way forward we have if we are to continue as a species. We will lose what we have without this.
The ignorance of the 'do they need another three' and 'immigrants' comments shows the narrow mindedness of some Cumbrians who are just interested in their house prices & local snobbery rights.
I for one love the view of the new Old Hutton farm from driving over Kendal Bypass, a true indication of our positive impact on our environment. I have driven around Europe and this is a very common sight even in rural France & Germany.
Compare this to the unsightly Coal stations of North Yorkshire, I'm sure we are paying a small price.
This is not an argument of 'Wind Turbine vs No Wind Turbine' it is 'Wind Turbine & reduced reliance on fossil fuels' vs 'No Wind Turbine & further environmental damage'.
[quote][p][bold]1985onwards[/bold] wrote: I cannot believe the ignorance of some of the comments here. Would you prefer the impressive sight of these very clean looking turbines amongst an otherwise unspoilt landscape or a ruined landscape further poisoned by the use of fossil fuels? Green energy is the only way forward we have if we are to continue as a species. We will lose what we have without this. The ignorance of the 'do they need another three' and 'immigrants' comments shows the narrow mindedness of some Cumbrians who are just interested in their house prices & local snobbery rights. I for one love the view of the new Old Hutton farm from driving over Kendal Bypass, a true indication of our positive impact on our environment. I have driven around Europe and this is a very common sight even in rural France & Germany. Compare this to the unsightly Coal stations of North Yorkshire, I'm sure we are paying a small price.[/p][/quote]This is not an argument of 'Wind Turbine vs No Wind Turbine' it is 'Wind Turbine & reduced reliance on fossil fuels' vs 'No Wind Turbine & further environmental damage'. 1985onwards
  • Score: -2

1:34pm Thu 6 Feb 14

meroepyramid says...

To all who have posted on this flawed decision - the latest news is that the application has been called in by the Secretary of State for review. This only happens in exceptional circumstances such as this i.e. when a Planning Committee over rules the Planning Officer and many of the Statutory Consultees including Natural England and the YDNP. Common sense has prevailed:

http://www.thewestmo
rlandgazette.co.uk/n
ews/10992120.Killing
ton_wind_turbine_dec
ision__called_in__by
_government/?ref=var
_0
To all who have posted on this flawed decision - the latest news is that the application has been called in by the Secretary of State for review. This only happens in exceptional circumstances such as this i.e. when a Planning Committee over rules the Planning Officer and many of the Statutory Consultees including Natural England and the YDNP. Common sense has prevailed: http://www.thewestmo rlandgazette.co.uk/n ews/10992120.Killing ton_wind_turbine_dec ision__called_in__by _government/?ref=var _0 meroepyramid
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree