The Westmorland GazetteKillington wind farm 'call in' decision welcomed by conservationists (From The Westmorland Gazette)

When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Killington wind farm 'call in' decision welcomed by conservationists

The Westmorland Gazette: Killington wind farm 'call in' decision welcomed by conservationists Killington wind farm 'call in' decision welcomed by conservationists

A DECISION to call-in a planning application to build three wind turbines at Killington Reservoir has been welcomed by conservationists.

The Open Spaces Society was one of a number of groups including FELLS (Friends of Eden, Lakeland and Lunedale Scenery), the Friends of the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales Society who wrote to the Secretary of State urging him to call the matter in because of its far-reaching, national implications.

They argued that the site is adjacent to the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District National Parks and the three 123-metre high turbines would destroy the view of the Howgills from the M6 motorway.

Eric Pickles, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, announced that he was ‘calling in’ the decision earlier this week.

Kate Ashbrook, general secretary of the Open Spaces Society: “This is wonderful news and is a fitting decision for this outstanding, nationally-valued landscape. The turbines would ruin the breath-taking views in an area which is extremely popular for quiet recreation."

MORE TOP STORIES:

And Penrith and the Border MP Rory Stewart, who has been waging a campaign against wind farms being build in his constituency, said: "These structures would be seen for miles in every direction. The visual impact would be immense - and immensely damaging. Tourism is the largest sector of our economy here in Cumbria, and tourists are not drawn here by the weather but by our spectacular, unspoilt landscape.”

South Lakeland District Council’s planning committee approved the controversial application in January despite 1,000 individual objections being made against the plan.

“I remain concerned that too often our local planning authorities are still failing to see the inherent value within this vast area of natural beauty - something which local communities recognise instantly,” said Mr Stewart, who also welcomed a recent decision to reject a turbine application at Orton.

“Time and again Cumbrians have come together in demonstrations to highlight how strongly they oppose this blight on their landscape. We did so in Orton last month, and I was delighted to see planning authorities reject the turbine. I remain convinced that with well-organised and vocal opposition, we can successfully beat any inappropriate wind turbine application.

" A public inquiry into the plans, by the Banks Group, will be held later this year to examine whether the council's decision was made on a sound basis.

Mr Stewart set up and runs the Cumbria Wind Watch website, which serves as a tool for individuals and communities seeking to fighting wind turbine applications in their community.

For further information visit: www.cumbriawindwatch.co.uk.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:02pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Kendal Jock says...

Thank God for that!
Thank God for that! Kendal Jock
  • Score: -104

4:49pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Kendal lad says...

Kendal Jock wrote:
Thank God for that!
Well lets hope God also has a plan for you when the lights go out because we have run out of oil.
Or he can also assist with the increased flooding and storms due to global warming.
As I have posted before, I wouldn't want a wind farm at the bottom of my garden. However, they can be beautiful, graceful and in in no way detract from the landscape. They have to be sited in windy places by definition.
If you don't like the view, turnaround. There is plenty of green space all around you.
[quote][p][bold]Kendal Jock[/bold] wrote: Thank God for that![/p][/quote]Well lets hope God also has a plan for you when the lights go out because we have run out of oil. Or he can also assist with the increased flooding and storms due to global warming. As I have posted before, I wouldn't want a wind farm at the bottom of my garden. However, they can be beautiful, graceful and in in no way detract from the landscape. They have to be sited in windy places by definition. If you don't like the view, turnaround. There is plenty of green space all around you. Kendal lad
  • Score: -10

3:52pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Kendal Jock says...

Kendal lad wrote:
Kendal Jock wrote:
Thank God for that!
Well lets hope God also has a plan for you when the lights go out because we have run out of oil.
Or he can also assist with the increased flooding and storms due to global warming.
As I have posted before, I wouldn't want a wind farm at the bottom of my garden. However, they can be beautiful, graceful and in in no way detract from the landscape. They have to be sited in windy places by definition.
If you don't like the view, turnaround. There is plenty of green space all around you.
Where is the proof that increased flooding and storms are due to
global warming? You mean to say the Heavy hailstorm and sleet I
came through last night, on my way back from Harrogate and the
frost this morning, are due to global WARMING? That does not
make much sense to me!!
[quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kendal Jock[/bold] wrote: Thank God for that![/p][/quote]Well lets hope God also has a plan for you when the lights go out because we have run out of oil. Or he can also assist with the increased flooding and storms due to global warming. As I have posted before, I wouldn't want a wind farm at the bottom of my garden. However, they can be beautiful, graceful and in in no way detract from the landscape. They have to be sited in windy places by definition. If you don't like the view, turnaround. There is plenty of green space all around you.[/p][/quote]Where is the proof that increased flooding and storms are due to global warming? You mean to say the Heavy hailstorm and sleet I came through last night, on my way back from Harrogate and the frost this morning, are due to global WARMING? That does not make much sense to me!! Kendal Jock
  • Score: 4

12:07pm Tue 25 Mar 14

JimTraficantforPresident says...

What's going on ? Common sense from politicians ! Whatever next ?
What's going on ? Common sense from politicians ! Whatever next ? JimTraficantforPresident
  • Score: -1

3:31pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Kendal lad says...

Kendal Jock,
The evidence is all around you and the fact that it snowed doesn't mean that the warming has stopped.
Its the long term trend that is the issue, not the fact that it snowed for one day.
Maybe you could look at the melting ice sheets, the disappearing glaciers, the melting permafrost, the rising sea levels, the increased rainfall on the Atlantic seaboard, the islands being overrun by the rising sea etc and THEN tell me that global warming is a figment of everyone's imagination.
Get real. If we do nothing we can simply expect more of the same and worse. We have to act now for our children's future.
Kendal Jock, The evidence is all around you and the fact that it snowed doesn't mean that the warming has stopped. Its the long term trend that is the issue, not the fact that it snowed for one day. Maybe you could look at the melting ice sheets, the disappearing glaciers, the melting permafrost, the rising sea levels, the increased rainfall on the Atlantic seaboard, the islands being overrun by the rising sea etc and THEN tell me that global warming is a figment of everyone's imagination. Get real. If we do nothing we can simply expect more of the same and worse. We have to act now for our children's future. Kendal lad
  • Score: -6

11:23am Wed 26 Mar 14

JimTraficantforPresident says...

Kendal lad wrote:
Kendal Jock,
The evidence is all around you and the fact that it snowed doesn't mean that the warming has stopped.
Its the long term trend that is the issue, not the fact that it snowed for one day.
Maybe you could look at the melting ice sheets, the disappearing glaciers, the melting permafrost, the rising sea levels, the increased rainfall on the Atlantic seaboard, the islands being overrun by the rising sea etc and THEN tell me that global warming is a figment of everyone's imagination.
Get real. If we do nothing we can simply expect more of the same and worse. We have to act now for our children's future.
Kendal lad, you are long on emotive statements and short on factual evidence.
I'll give you one example - Melting ice sheets. Yes the Arctic is close to historic lows but the increase in Antarctic ice has compensated for this. The US National Climatic Data Center states:

"According to data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center, the average February Arctic sea ice extent was 5.58 million square miles, 350,000 square miles (5.9 percent) below the 1981–2010 average of 5.93 million square miles. This was the fourth smallest February Arctic ice extent since satellite records began in 1979 and the smallest since 2011.
The February Antarctic sea ice extent was 1.48 million square miles, 310,000 square miles (26.3 percent) above the 1981–2010 average of 1.17 million square miles. This was the fourth largest February sea ice extent for the Antarctic."

Now you state that islands are being overrun with the rising sea. Could you please give me a specific example backed up by reputable source.
[quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: Kendal Jock, The evidence is all around you and the fact that it snowed doesn't mean that the warming has stopped. Its the long term trend that is the issue, not the fact that it snowed for one day. Maybe you could look at the melting ice sheets, the disappearing glaciers, the melting permafrost, the rising sea levels, the increased rainfall on the Atlantic seaboard, the islands being overrun by the rising sea etc and THEN tell me that global warming is a figment of everyone's imagination. Get real. If we do nothing we can simply expect more of the same and worse. We have to act now for our children's future.[/p][/quote]Kendal lad, you are long on emotive statements and short on factual evidence. I'll give you one example - Melting ice sheets. Yes the Arctic is close to historic lows but the increase in Antarctic ice has compensated for this. The US National Climatic Data Center states: "According to data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center, the average February Arctic sea ice extent was 5.58 million square miles, 350,000 square miles (5.9 percent) below the 1981–2010 average of 5.93 million square miles. This was the fourth smallest February Arctic ice extent since satellite records began in 1979 and the smallest since 2011. The February Antarctic sea ice extent was 1.48 million square miles, 310,000 square miles (26.3 percent) above the 1981–2010 average of 1.17 million square miles. This was the fourth largest February sea ice extent for the Antarctic." Now you state that islands are being overrun with the rising sea. Could you please give me a specific example backed up by reputable source. JimTraficantforPresident
  • Score: 2

12:10pm Wed 26 Mar 14

Kendal lad says...

Why not have a look at http://papers.rising
sea.net/NJ/CM.html
Or, maybe you could look at http://tidesandcurre
nts.noaa.gov/sltrend
s/mtsparker.html
Or, maybe look at https://ncar.ucar.ed
u/press/evaluating-t
he-effects-of-future
-sea-level-rise-and-
storm-surges-along-u
s-coastlines
Will that do????????
Why not have a look at http://papers.rising sea.net/NJ/CM.html Or, maybe you could look at http://tidesandcurre nts.noaa.gov/sltrend s/mtsparker.html Or, maybe look at https://ncar.ucar.ed u/press/evaluating-t he-effects-of-future -sea-level-rise-and- storm-surges-along-u s-coastlines Will that do???????? Kendal lad
  • Score: -3

12:52am Thu 27 Mar 14

JimTraficantforPresident says...

Kendal lad wrote:
Why not have a look at http://papers.rising

sea.net/NJ/CM.html
Or, maybe you could look at http://tidesandcurre

nts.noaa.gov/sltrend

s/mtsparker.html
Or, maybe look at https://ncar.ucar.ed

u/press/evaluating-t

he-effects-of-future

-sea-level-rise-and-

storm-surges-along-u

s-coastlines
Will that do????????
No.

All those links are for "papers" that describe how future climate change "could" affect us. For at least the last twenty years I have read predictions by many so called climate scientists and practically none of their predicitions have occurred. Give me facts not conjecture. You stated " the islands being overrun by the rising sea ". Tell me which islands are currently being overrun and give me references.
[quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: Why not have a look at http://papers.rising sea.net/NJ/CM.html Or, maybe you could look at http://tidesandcurre nts.noaa.gov/sltrend s/mtsparker.html Or, maybe look at https://ncar.ucar.ed u/press/evaluating-t he-effects-of-future -sea-level-rise-and- storm-surges-along-u s-coastlines Will that do????????[/p][/quote]No. All those links are for "papers" that describe how future climate change "could" affect us. For at least the last twenty years I have read predictions by many so called climate scientists and practically none of their predicitions have occurred. Give me facts not conjecture. You stated " the islands being overrun by the rising sea ". Tell me which islands are currently being overrun and give me references. JimTraficantforPresident
  • Score: 3

11:41am Thu 27 Mar 14

Kendmoor says...

Kendal Jock wrote:
Kendal lad wrote:
Kendal Jock wrote:
Thank God for that!
Well lets hope God also has a plan for you when the lights go out because we have run out of oil.
Or he can also assist with the increased flooding and storms due to global warming.
As I have posted before, I wouldn't want a wind farm at the bottom of my garden. However, they can be beautiful, graceful and in in no way detract from the landscape. They have to be sited in windy places by definition.
If you don't like the view, turnaround. There is plenty of green space all around you.
Where is the proof that increased flooding and storms are due to
global warming? You mean to say the Heavy hailstorm and sleet I
came through last night, on my way back from Harrogate and the
frost this morning, are due to global WARMING? That does not
make much sense to me!!
"WARMING? That does not make much sense to me!!

Haha, Why is it so hard to understand? the theory goes

Warmer climate, less arctic ice and without a substantial ice cover, Arctic wind is less constrained. The jet stream—the belt of cool air that regulates weather around most of the Northern Hemisphere—then dips farther and farther south, bringing cold air from the Arctic closer to the Equator.


A quick google search answers that question fairly well, much more informative than just pointing at the word "warming" and just jumping to conclusions.
[quote][p][bold]Kendal Jock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kendal lad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kendal Jock[/bold] wrote: Thank God for that![/p][/quote]Well lets hope God also has a plan for you when the lights go out because we have run out of oil. Or he can also assist with the increased flooding and storms due to global warming. As I have posted before, I wouldn't want a wind farm at the bottom of my garden. However, they can be beautiful, graceful and in in no way detract from the landscape. They have to be sited in windy places by definition. If you don't like the view, turnaround. There is plenty of green space all around you.[/p][/quote]Where is the proof that increased flooding and storms are due to global warming? You mean to say the Heavy hailstorm and sleet I came through last night, on my way back from Harrogate and the frost this morning, are due to global WARMING? That does not make much sense to me!![/p][/quote]"WARMING? That does not make much sense to me!! Haha, Why is it so hard to understand? the theory goes Warmer climate, less arctic ice and without a substantial ice cover, Arctic wind is less constrained. The jet stream—the belt of cool air that regulates weather around most of the Northern Hemisphere—then dips farther and farther south, bringing cold air from the Arctic closer to the Equator. A quick google search answers that question fairly well, much more informative than just pointing at the word "warming" and just jumping to conclusions. Kendmoor
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree