The Westmorland GazetteLake District campers warned of deadly carbon monoxide risk with barbecues (From The Westmorland Gazette)

When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Lake District campers warned of deadly carbon monoxide risk with barbecues

The Westmorland Gazette: Picture used for illustrative purposes Picture used for illustrative purposes

LAKE District campers and caravanners are being warned to keep themselves safe from carbon monoxide this summer.

The warning comes as the school holidays approach and revellers head to music festivals including Kendal Calling.

Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service says the use of gas or charcoal barbecues in confined spaces poses a serious carbon monoxide risk.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas and can kill quickly if inhaled in high concentrations, said the fire service.

The symptoms of poisoning are similar to flu or food poisoning, and include headaches, nausea and dizziness.

CFRS’s tips for staying safe and minimising the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

  •  Never take a barbeque into a tent, caravan or motorhome. 
  • A warm, smouldering barbecue will give off poisonous carbon monoxide.
  • Never place a lit barbeque near the sleeping area outside your tent.
  • Never use a fuel-burning appliance to heat your tent.
  • Never run a gas, petrol or diesel-powered generator inside a tent.
  • Do not cook with a stove inside your tent or awning, unless there is an area specifically designed for this purpose and you are sure there is adequate ventilation.
  • Use a portable carbon monoxide detector in your tent.

Mark Clement, for the service, said: “Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, but just taking a few simple precautions to minimise the dangers can keep you and your friends and family safe.

Related links

“I’d urge anybody going camping or caravaning this summer to make sure they protect themselves from carbon monoxide so they remember their time away for all the right reasons."

During the summer months Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service will be distributing carbon monoxide safety leaflets at campsites and tourist information centres and visiting supermarkets around the county to promote the safe use of barbeques.

MORE TOP STORIES:

 

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree