When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Bowness fish and chip shop that was gutted by fire has reopened
A POPULAR Lake District fish and chip shop that was gutted by fire has reopened after a major revamp.
Nearly 40 firefighters fought the blaze at Vinegar Jones, Bowness, which left the business in total ruins last April.
After 18 months of hard work, owners Paul and Tracey Hogg said it was ‘wonderful’ to see the project come together.
“At the time it was hard to see the wood for the trees because we were in complete shock, but we are very pleased now,” said Mrs Hogg.
“It looks great and it has all been rejigged to make better use of the space — we are delighted.”
The pair, who live near their Lake Road business, said they had ‘never been away’ from the premises to make sure it looked top-notch.
They have gone for a grey modern-feel theme, got all new equipment, added a seating area at the front and have updated the upstairs restaurant.
“I am really happy with the room upstairs,” said Mrs Hogg. “It’s absolutely been done to a 2013 spec — before it was quite outdated. “We want to give quality food to families who may not have a lot of money to spend but didn’t want them to have to sit in a dated room as a compromise.” But the couple have also vowed not to put up prices. “Things have gone up in cost but we are trying to swallow quite a bit of this,” said Mr Hogg. Vinegar Jones will also offer a loyalty card to local customers, giving them a five per cent discount.
“The builders have said it’s amazing how many people have been asking when we are opening again,” said Mr Hogg.