When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Events and festival listings 2013
11:20am Tuesday 3rd July 2012 in Event listings
- Sat 4 - Sun 5 May: Printfest, Ulverston - www.printfest.org.uk The UK’s only artist led printmaking festival.
- Thu 9 - Sun 12 May: Keswick Jazz Festival - www.keswickjazzfestival.co.uk Live music from of some of the world's top jazz musicians.
- Fri 10 - 12 May: Cumbria Bike Show 2013 - www.cumbriabikeshow.co.uk Motorcycling show near Wigton
- Sat 11 - Sun 12 May: Western Lake District KiteFest - www.kite-fest.co.uk Land-based kite display teams from across northern England will descend upon the coastal village of Haverigg for two full days of displays
- Wed 15 - Sat 18 May: Freerange Comedy Festival - www.breweryarts.co.uk/events-and-festivals/freerange-comedy-festival Top stand-up comics including Al Murray
- Wed 15 – Sun 19 May: Keswick Mountain Festival - www.keswickmountainfestival.co.uk Adventure sport films, activities, speakers and more
- Sun 19 May: Hutton in the Forest Plant and Food Fair - www.hutton-in-the-forest.co.uk/plants_food Stock up on plants and fine foods.
- Sun 19 May: Brathay Windermere Marathon - www.brathay.org.uk/the-marathon Charity run with beautiful course covering an entire circuit of Windermere
- Sat 25 May - Sun 2 June: Black Combe Walking Festival - www.walkingfest.org.uk Nine days of guided walks at the gateway to the western Lake District
- Fri 31 May - Sun 2 June: Holker Garden Festival - www.holkerfestival.co.uk The Holker Garden Festival celebrates its 21st anniversary this June with a three day summer spectacle, showcasing only the very best of gardening, countryside, food and crafts.
- Fri 1 - Sat 2 June: Keswick Beer Festival -- www.keswickbeerfestival.co.uk Live music and a wide variety of beers, lagers and ciders
- Thu 6 - Sun 9 June: Boot Beer Festival - http://www.bootbeer.co.uk/ Fun and attractions for beer-lovers and non-drinkers
- Thu 6 - Wed 12 June: Appleby Horse Fair - www.applebyfair.org Unique fair attracting 10,000 gypsies and travellers to the Eden Valley
- Sat 8 June: Cumberland County Show - www.cumberlandshow.co.uk Traditional agricultural show celebrating farming and food
- Sat 8 June: Grasmere Gallop - www.grasmeregallop.co.uk Trail race with 6km, 10km and 17km routes
- Fri 14 - Sun 16 June: Great North Swim in Windermere - http://www.greatswim.org/Events/Great-North-Swim/Default.aspx Open water swimming festival, with events for all abilities
- Fri 28 - Sat 29 June: Woolfest in Cockermouth - www.woolfest.co.uk Event celebrating the best of wool and woolcrafts
- Sun 7 July: Lakeland Trails – www.lakelandtrails.org/marathon/index Starting and ending in Coniston this event is considered Britain's most scenic trail marathon
- Sat 13 and Sun 14 July: West Cumbria Game Fair - www.westcumbriagamefair.co.uk A celebration of shooting, hunting and fishing
- Sun 21 July: Coniston Country Fair - www.conistoncountryfair.co.uk Traditional Lakeland Show offering visitors an enthralling insight into traditional Cumbrian Life
- Thu 25 July: Ambleside Traditional Sports Day - http://www.amblesidesports.co.uk/ Traditional Lakeland sporting event
- Sat 27 July: Penrith Show - www.penrithshow.co.uk Agricultural event showcasing farming around Penrith
- Sat 27 and Sun 28 July: Cumbria Steam Gathering - www.steamgathering.org.uk Display of vintage vehicles from around the world
- Fri 2 - Sun 4 Aug: Potfest in the Pens - www.potfest.co.uk/potfestpens.htm Exhibition by some of the country's top potters in Penrith
- Sat 3 Aug: Cockermouth Agricultural Show - www.cockermouthshow.co.uk Attractions include sheepdog trials, sheep clipping and Cumberland and Westmorland wrestling
- Sat 3 - Sun 18 August: Lake District Summer Music - www.ldsm.org.uk Festival focused on chamber music but taking in many different genres.
- Sat 3 - Sun 4 Aug: 10k and 10 mile Total Warrior Challenges - www.totalwarrior.co.uk Event billed as 'the toughest 10k and 10 miles on Earth'
- Wed 7 Aug: Cartmel Show - www.cartmelagriculturalsociety.org.uk South Lakeland's traditional country show
- Sat 17 Aug: Rusland Show - www.coltonparishcouncil.org.uk/Rusland/ruslandshow.htm Produce displays, crafts, fell races and more
- Sat 17 Aug: Gosforth Show - www.gosforthshow.co.uk Agricultural show, sports and much more
- Sat 17 Aug: Appleby Agricultural Show - www.applebyshow.co.uk Agricultural show and gymkhana
- Tues 20 Aug: Hawkshead Show - www.hawksheadshow.co.uk Agriculture, produce and craft show in the heart of the Lake District
- Fri 23 - Sat 24 Aug: Solfest - http://www.solfest.org.uk/ Music festival at Silloth, north west Cumbria with headliners Maximo Park
- Sat 24 Aug: Millom and Broughton Agricultural Show - www.millomandbroughtonshow.co.uk Agricultural show in west Cumbria
- Sun 25 Aug: Grasmere Lakeland Sports and Show - www.grasmeresports.com Founded in 1868, the event includes a variety of sports, including Cumberland wrestling, fell running and hound trails.
- Mon 26 Aug: Black Combe Country Fair - www.blackcombecountryfair.co.uk Agricultural show to be opened by shepherdess and writer Alison O'Neil
- Fri 30 - Sun 1 Sept: Mintfest - www.lakesalive.org/mintfest Kendal hosts the international festival of street arts
- Sat 7 Sept: Lakeland Trails - www.lakelandtrails.org/keswick/index.php Trail races and challenges starting in Keswick
- Sun 8 Sept: Jane Tomlinson's Walk For All Lake District Walking festival around Windermere in aid of the Jane Tomlinson Appeal cancer charity
- Thu 12 Sept: Westmorland County Show - www.westmorlandshow.co.uk South Lakeland's agricultural show
- Fri 13 Sept: Kendal Torchlight Carnival - www.kendaltorchlightcarnival.co.uk Spectacular evening parade through the streets of Kendal
- Sat 14 Sept: Chillswim Coniston - http://chillswim.com/the-swims/coniston-end-to-end Swimmers brave the chilly Coniston Water, swimming the lake from end to end
- Sat 14 Sept: Ulverston Lantern Procession - www.ulverstonfestivaltown.co.uk Night-time event to celebrate the granting of the town's royal charter in 1280
- Sat 14 - Sun 29 Sept: Cumbria Artists Open Studios - www.c-art.org.uk Visit local artists in their own studios all over the county
- Sun 15 Sept: Borrowdale Shepherds' Meet and Show - www.borrowdaleshow.org.uk Traditional agricultural show and shepherds' meet
- Sat 21 Sept: Egremont Crab Fair and Sports - www.egremontcrabfair.com Unique event including the World Championship Gurning Competition
- Sat 28 Sept: Eskdale Show - www.eskdale.info/show.html Country show with hound trails
- Fri 4 - Sun 6 Oct: Beer 'n' Bangers Festival - www.beernbangers.com A celebration of local produce at pubs between Ravenglass and Broughton
- Sat 5 Oct: Lakeland Trails, Coniston - www.lakelandtrails.org/coniston/index.php Trail races and challenges starting and ending in Coniston
- Sat 12 Oct: Wasdale Head Shepherds' Meet and Show - http://www.wasdaleheadshow.co.uk/ Traditional Lakeland meet with a stunning backdrop of the region's highest fells
- Sat 2 and Sun 3 Nov: Lakeland Trails, Helvellyn and Ullswater - www.lakelandtrails.org/helvellyn/index.php Trail races and challenges around Glenridding. Taking part in both events is known as 'the Dirty Double'
- Mon 4 - Fri 8 Nov: Powerboat Speed Records Week on Coniston - www.conistonpowerboatrecords.co.uk Astonishing feats of engineering and bravery at the event's 'spiritual home'
- Thu 14 - Sun 17 Nov: Kendal Mountain Festival - www.mountainfest.co.uk/ The world's biggest mountain festival, with films, guest speakers and much more
- Sun 17 Nov: World's Biggest Liar, Holmrook - www.santonbridgeinn.com/liar/ Unique contest created in tribute to Wasdale's Will Ritson.
- Sat 23 - Sun 24 Nov: Dickensian Christmas Festival - http://www.dickensianfestival.co.uk/ Take a trip back in time at this popular Ulverston event
- Sun 1 Dec: Keswick Traditional Christmas Fayre - www.keswick.org/whats-on/festivals/ Get in the festive spirit at this popular event
- Sat 7 - Sun 8 Dec: Kirkby Lonsdale Christmas Fair and Procession - http://www.kirkbylonsdale.co.uk Christmas event in the picturesque south Cumbria village