AS THE festive season gets into full swing with carol concerts, nativity plays, Yuletide markets and more, The Westmorland Gazette has put together a list of 50 things to do and places to go over Christmas and the New Year.
1) St John’s Church, Yealand Conyers - December 20 (7pm) - Carol Evening where glasses of mulled wine are to be provided followed by carols and readings and rounded off with mince pies and more mulled wine.
2) Cartmel Village Hall - December 15 (7.30pm) - Carols for All. Tickets available from Marion Airey on 015395-36459.
3) Victoria Hall, Grange-over-Sands - December 13 (7.30pm) - Cartmel and District Flower Club’s Christmas Gala. The demonstrator will be Sue Davies. Tickets are available from Dot Hadwin on 015395-33581 or at the door on the night.
4) Cartmel Priory - December 10 (8pm) - Sedbergh School Choral Society performs Vivaldi’s Gloria and JS Bach’s Sleepers Wake.
5) Ambleside Parish Church - December 10 (7.30pm) - Ambleside Choral Society’s Christmas Concert, which features the South Cumbria Brass Quintet. Booking is essential - go to Hayes Garden World or www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk.
6) Grasmere Village Hall - December 15 - 17 (7.30pm) - Grasmere Players perform their annual winter production, which this year is Dick Whittington. For tickets telephone 015394 35637.
7) Kendal Parish Church - December 10 (7.30pm) - Conductor Ian Thompson directs Kendal South Choir’s Christmas Concert, which features Handel’s Messiah.
8) Staveley Village Hall - December 12 (7.30pm) - Medley of festive music by the Staveley Choral Society, including the Little Drummer Boy and 12 Days of Christmas.
9) The Folly, Settle - Saturday, December 10 (10am - 12pm) - Yuletide seasonal words and music event with mulled wine and mince pies. Tel - 01729 822930.
10) Ulverston Coronation Hall - December 30 (7.30pm) - The multi-talented Houghton Weavers return with their annual Christmas Show full of music, song and humour.
11) Westmorland Hall, lakes leisure, Kendal - December 17 (7.30pm) - Lakeland Sinfonia’s Charity Christmas Concert featuring the Kentside Singers and coprano Catrine Kirkman. Box office - 01539 729777.
12) Kendal Town Hall - December 9 (8pm) - Ian Allen will lead the K Shoes Male Voice Choir Annual Christmas Concert with light hearted music, Christmas revelry plus special guests.
13) St Oswald’s Church, Burneside - December 10 (7pm - 10pm) - Burneside Brass Band Christmas Concert featuring traditional Christmas music 14) Morrison’s supermarket, Kendal - December 20 (11.30am) - Christmas music performed by the Kendal Millennium Youth Choir.
15) St Mary’s Parish Church, Kirkby Lonsdale - December 10 - Three Choirs... and a Brass Orchestra featuring Kirkby Lonsdale and Arnside Choral Societies, the Kendal Millennium Youth Choir plus soprano Tracie Penwarden.
16) The Gill, Ulverston - December 9 (6.30pm) - Mulled music festival with alternative carols from local musicians Rita Baugh, Hilary Grieve and Naomi Edwards. The Cumbria Way Marker has also been decorated with golden baubles and a disco ball. For more information go to the Facebook page Christmas Mulled Music or contact Christine Atkinson on 01229 480347.
17) Coronation Hall, Ulverston - December 10 (7.30pm) - Christmas carols. Telephone 01229 588994 to book.
18) Water Yeat village hall - December 10 (7.30pm) - Christmas fun with Latin/Blues band Lava.
19) Eccle Riggs, Broughton-in-Furness - December 14 (7.30pm) - Ulverston Music Festival Christmas Concert. A mix of arias and popular classics. For tickets call the box office on 01229 587140.
20) Unitarian Chapel, Kendal - December 13 - The Riversiders and Steps charity hosts its Christmas Carol Service. All welcome.
21) Coronation Hall, Ulverton - January 2 (7.30pm) - Light-hearted, entertaining and uplifting, Manchester Camerata's much-loved New Year's Viennese Gala is a wonderful event for the family featuring a sparkling array of waltzes, polkas and songs. Telephone 01229 588994.
22) The Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal - Runs until December 31 - The Christmas show this year is Beasts and Beauties. For performance times call the box office on 01539 725133.
23) Sizergh Castle - December 10 and 11 - Drama students from Kendal College perform Sleeping Beauty.
24) Victoria Hall, Grange-over-Sands - December 8 - 10 - Grange Youth Theatre performs Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Box office - 015395 32375 25) Bryce Institute, Burneside - January 6-8 and 11-14 - Burneside Amateur Theatrical Society stage a comic blast of Puss in Space Boots.
26) Theatre on the Bay , Storth - January 11-14 - Storth Entertainers’ Christmas pantomime will be Sing a Song of Sixpence by Norman Robbins.
27) Lakes School, Troutbeck - January 24 - 29 - Lakes Players’ glittering panto extravanganza Cinderella.
28) The Dukes, Lancaster - Runs until January 7 - The Christmas Show at the theatre is Roald Dahl’s heart-warming tale The BFG. For box office phone 01524 598500.
29) Gaskell Memorial Hall, Silverdale - December 8-11 - Silverdale Village Players’ Puss in Boots runs with Simon ‘Yakkers; Yaxley in the director’s chair.
30) Yew Tree Barn, Low Newton near Grange-over-Sands - December 10 and 11 (9am to 5pm) - Christmas market including crafts, gifts, live music and Yuletide goodies. Tel: 015395 31498.
31) Holy Trinity Church, Holme - December 10 (10am - 4pm) and Sunday, December 11 (12pm - 4pm) Christmas Tree Festival on Saturday followed by a special service on Sunday. On both days, different groups in the village will have decorated trees on display.
32) Westmorland Shopping Centre, Kendal - December 12 - 18 (9am - 5pm) - Kendal Christmas Arts and Crafts Fair, selling artisan goods from ceramics, jewellery, glass and leather to textiles and fragrances. For more information telephone 01524 784197.
33) Orton Farmers’ Market - December 10 (9.30am - 2pm) - Christmas trees and food on sale at stalls in the town.
34) Brockhole Visitor Centre, Windermere - December 10, 11, 17 and 18 - Festive music, children’s activities, food and gifts for all visitors. Phone 015395 46601 for more information.
35) Market Place, Kendal - December 23 (9.30am - 3.30pm) - Christmas Farmer’s Market organised by Made in Cumbria, with Christmas fare and organic food.
36) Sizergh Castle - December 23 (11am - 4pm) - A specially created ice rink has been built in Sizergh Castle’s Get Ya Skates On event.
37) Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway - December 10, 11, 17 and 18 - A family trip out riding with Santa on the railway during two December weekends, including a gift for every child and festive treats for adults. Booking is essential so call 015395 31594.
38) Pier House, Glenridding - December 18 (10.30am and 1.30pm) - Ullswater Steamers Santa Cruises sails nonstop into a magical experience which includes meeting Santa and Sammy Squirrel.
39) Sizergh Castle - December 17 and 18 - Big Party Weekend including silly games and jokes, with a Christmas Woofs ‘n’ Wellies day planned for the Sunday which includes dog walks and fun activities.
40) Kendal Town Hall assembly room - December 17 (9.30am - 12pm) - Mayor’s Christmas Coffee morning with Kendal mayor Coun Jonathan Brook.
41) - Holker Hall - December 19, 20 and 21 - Visitors can go on a magical walk to catch a glimpse of the Holker deer. Design your own festive biscuit and Santa will give out gifts. Live Christmas music plus a Hearty Hog Roast are also available. For more information go to www.holker.co.uk.
42) Lakeland Wildlife Oasis, between Milnthorpe and Carnforth - December 10, 11, and 17-24 - The Santa Snow Leopard Special Offer is £8.95, which includes zoo entry for one child and one adult, a meeting with Santa and a present. For every child that Santa gives a present to, the zoo will make a donation to a conservation charity supporting snow leopards in the wild.
43) Haverthwaite - December 10, 11, 17 and 18 - Santa Specials with gifts for children. Telephone 015395 31594.
44) Sawyers Arms, Kendal - December 11 (3.30pm) - Festive family fun day.
45) Muncaster Castle - December 11 (4pm) - Candle-lit Victorian Christmas tour of the castle.
46) Coronation Hall, Ulverston - December 12 - Ulverston Victoria High School Christmas Festival.
47) RSPB Leighton Moss, Silverdale - December 13- Christmas meal and shopping night.
48) Royal British Legion Club, Grange-over-Sands - December 15 (9.45am) - The Forum’s Christmas quiz. Telephone 015395 34671.
49) Kendal Town Hall Bindloss Room - December 9 (9.30am - 12pm) - Kendal in Bloom Christmas plant sale and coffee morning.
50) The Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal - December 10, 19, 20 and 21 - Yuletide workshops for those aged six to 16, who can make unique presents for their loved ones. For more details phone 01539 725133.