When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
50 things to do in the Lake District this Christmas
AS THE festive season gets into full swing with carol concerts, nativity plays, Yuletide markets and more, The Westmorland Gazette has put together a list of 50 things to do and places to go over Christmas and the New Year.
1) St John’s Church, Yealand Conyers - December 20 (7pm) - Carol Evening where glasses of mulled wine are to be provided followed by carols and readings and rounded off with mince pies and more mulled wine.
2) Cartmel Village Hall - December 15 (7.30pm) - Carols for All. Tickets available from Marion Airey on 015395-36459.
3) Victoria Hall, Grange-over-Sands - December 13 (7.30pm) - Cartmel and District Flower Club’s Christmas Gala. The demonstrator will be Sue Davies. Tickets are available from Dot Hadwin on 015395-33581 or at the door on the night.
4) Cartmel Priory - December 10 (8pm) - Sedbergh School Choral Society performs Vivaldi’s Gloria and JS Bach’s Sleepers Wake.
5) Ambleside Parish Church - December 10 (7.30pm) - Ambleside Choral Society’s Christmas Concert, which features the South Cumbria Brass Quintet. Booking is essential - go to Hayes Garden World or www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk.
6) Grasmere Village Hall - December 15 - 17 (7.30pm) - Grasmere Players perform their annual winter production, which this year is Dick Whittington. For tickets telephone 015394 35637.
7) Kendal Parish Church - December 10 (7.30pm) - Conductor Ian Thompson directs Kendal South Choir’s Christmas Concert, which features Handel’s Messiah.
8) Staveley Village Hall - December 12 (7.30pm) - Medley of festive music by the Staveley Choral Society, including the Little Drummer Boy and 12 Days of Christmas.
9) The Folly, Settle - Saturday, December 10 (10am - 12pm) - Yuletide seasonal words and music event with mulled wine and mince pies. Tel - 01729 822930.
10) Ulverston Coronation Hall - December 30 (7.30pm) - The multi-talented Houghton Weavers return with their annual Christmas Show full of music, song and humour.
11) Westmorland Hall, lakes leisure, Kendal - December 17 (7.30pm) - Lakeland Sinfonia’s Charity Christmas Concert featuring the Kentside Singers and coprano Catrine Kirkman. Box office - 01539 729777.
12) Kendal Town Hall - December 9 (8pm) - Ian Allen will lead the K Shoes Male Voice Choir Annual Christmas Concert with light hearted music, Christmas revelry plus special guests.
13) St Oswald’s Church, Burneside - December 10 (7pm - 10pm) - Burneside Brass Band Christmas Concert featuring traditional Christmas music 14) Morrison’s supermarket, Kendal - December 20 (11.30am) - Christmas music performed by the Kendal Millennium Youth Choir.
15) St Mary’s Parish Church, Kirkby Lonsdale - December 10 - Three Choirs... and a Brass Orchestra featuring Kirkby Lonsdale and Arnside Choral Societies, the Kendal Millennium Youth Choir plus soprano Tracie Penwarden.
16) The Gill, Ulverston - December 9 (6.30pm) - Mulled music festival with alternative carols from local musicians Rita Baugh, Hilary Grieve and Naomi Edwards. The Cumbria Way Marker has also been decorated with golden baubles and a disco ball. For more information go to the Facebook page Christmas Mulled Music or contact Christine Atkinson on 01229 480347.
17) Coronation Hall, Ulverston - December 10 (7.30pm) - Christmas carols. Telephone 01229 588994 to book.
18) Water Yeat village hall - December 10 (7.30pm) - Christmas fun with Latin/Blues band Lava.
19) Eccle Riggs, Broughton-in-Furness - December 14 (7.30pm) - Ulverston Music Festival Christmas Concert. A mix of arias and popular classics. For tickets call the box office on 01229 587140.
20) Unitarian Chapel, Kendal - December 13 - The Riversiders and Steps charity hosts its Christmas Carol Service. All welcome.
21) Coronation Hall, Ulverton - January 2 (7.30pm) - Light-hearted, entertaining and uplifting, Manchester Camerata's much-loved New Year's Viennese Gala is a wonderful event for the family featuring a sparkling array of waltzes, polkas and songs. Telephone 01229 588994.
22) The Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal - Runs until December 31 - The Christmas show this year is Beasts and Beauties. For performance times call the box office on 01539 725133.
23) Sizergh Castle - December 10 and 11 - Drama students from Kendal College perform Sleeping Beauty.
24) Victoria Hall, Grange-over-Sands - December 8 - 10 - Grange Youth Theatre performs Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Box office - 015395 32375 25) Bryce Institute, Burneside - January 6-8 and 11-14 - Burneside Amateur Theatrical Society stage a comic blast of Puss in Space Boots.
26) Theatre on the Bay , Storth - January 11-14 - Storth Entertainers’ Christmas pantomime will be Sing a Song of Sixpence by Norman Robbins.
27) Lakes School, Troutbeck - January 24 - 29 - Lakes Players’ glittering panto extravanganza Cinderella.
28) The Dukes, Lancaster - Runs until January 7 - The Christmas Show at the theatre is Roald Dahl’s heart-warming tale The BFG. For box office phone 01524 598500.
29) Gaskell Memorial Hall, Silverdale - December 8-11 - Silverdale Village Players’ Puss in Boots runs with Simon ‘Yakkers; Yaxley in the director’s chair.
30) Yew Tree Barn, Low Newton near Grange-over-Sands - December 10 and 11 (9am to 5pm) - Christmas market including crafts, gifts, live music and Yuletide goodies. Tel: 015395 31498.
31) Holy Trinity Church, Holme - December 10 (10am - 4pm) and Sunday, December 11 (12pm - 4pm) Christmas Tree Festival on Saturday followed by a special service on Sunday. On both days, different groups in the village will have decorated trees on display.
32) Westmorland Shopping Centre, Kendal - December 12 - 18 (9am - 5pm) - Kendal Christmas Arts and Crafts Fair, selling artisan goods from ceramics, jewellery, glass and leather to textiles and fragrances. For more information telephone 01524 784197.
33) Orton Farmers’ Market - December 10 (9.30am - 2pm) - Christmas trees and food on sale at stalls in the town.
34) Brockhole Visitor Centre, Windermere - December 10, 11, 17 and 18 - Festive music, children’s activities, food and gifts for all visitors. Phone 015395 46601 for more information.
35) Market Place, Kendal - December 23 (9.30am - 3.30pm) - Christmas Farmer’s Market organised by Made in Cumbria, with Christmas fare and organic food.
36) Sizergh Castle - December 23 (11am - 4pm) - A specially created ice rink has been built in Sizergh Castle’s Get Ya Skates On event.
37) Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway - December 10, 11, 17 and 18 - A family trip out riding with Santa on the railway during two December weekends, including a gift for every child and festive treats for adults. Booking is essential so call 015395 31594.
38) Pier House, Glenridding - December 18 (10.30am and 1.30pm) - Ullswater Steamers Santa Cruises sails nonstop into a magical experience which includes meeting Santa and Sammy Squirrel.
39) Sizergh Castle - December 17 and 18 - Big Party Weekend including silly games and jokes, with a Christmas Woofs ‘n’ Wellies day planned for the Sunday which includes dog walks and fun activities.
40) Kendal Town Hall assembly room - December 17 (9.30am - 12pm) - Mayor’s Christmas Coffee morning with Kendal mayor Coun Jonathan Brook.
41) - Holker Hall - December 19, 20 and 21 - Visitors can go on a magical walk to catch a glimpse of the Holker deer. Design your own festive biscuit and Santa will give out gifts. Live Christmas music plus a Hearty Hog Roast are also available. For more information go to www.holker.co.uk.
42) Lakeland Wildlife Oasis, between Milnthorpe and Carnforth - December 10, 11, and 17-24 - The Santa Snow Leopard Special Offer is £8.95, which includes zoo entry for one child and one adult, a meeting with Santa and a present. For every child that Santa gives a present to, the zoo will make a donation to a conservation charity supporting snow leopards in the wild.
43) Haverthwaite - December 10, 11, 17 and 18 - Santa Specials with gifts for children. Telephone 015395 31594.
44) Sawyers Arms, Kendal - December 11 (3.30pm) - Festive family fun day.
45) Muncaster Castle - December 11 (4pm) - Candle-lit Victorian Christmas tour of the castle.
46) Coronation Hall, Ulverston - December 12 - Ulverston Victoria High School Christmas Festival.
47) RSPB Leighton Moss, Silverdale - December 13- Christmas meal and shopping night.
48) Royal British Legion Club, Grange-over-Sands - December 15 (9.45am) - The Forum’s Christmas quiz. Telephone 015395 34671.
49) Kendal Town Hall Bindloss Room - December 9 (9.30am - 12pm) - Kendal in Bloom Christmas plant sale and coffee morning.
50) The Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal - December 10, 19, 20 and 21 - Yuletide workshops for those aged six to 16, who can make unique presents for their loved ones. For more details phone 01539 725133.
Comments are closed on this article.