SLDC council leader to appear on BBC's Sunday Politics Show

First published in News

THE leader of South Lakeland District Council, Coun Peter Thornton, is to appear on the BBC’s Sunday Politics Show.

Coun Thornton said: “I’m really looking forward to appearing on the show and debating a host of subjects.

"It will give me the chance to talk about how we are working with the people of South Lakeland to give them the council they need.”

The show will be screened on Sunday, February 10, at noon.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:21pm Fri 8 Feb 13

snuggle-bunny says...

Debating a host of subjects-I take it this will include the closing of all the sldc public toilet and the rip-off car parking charges etc. Dont forget to claim your expenses
Debating a host of subjects-I take it this will include the closing of all the sldc public toilet and the rip-off car parking charges etc. Dont forget to claim your expenses snuggle-bunny
  • Score: 0

4:48pm Fri 8 Feb 13

zaney5 says...

Might have to tune in for a laugh!
Might have to tune in for a laugh! zaney5
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Fri 8 Feb 13

onelocal says...

What about the costs of redoing the rejected LDP, the losses incurred from the Lake Users debacle, the legal cost of throwing 20 plus families off Holme Farm. Also the payments for the disabled car parking, the new parking machines, the funds never received from K Village. Coming soon will be costs to develop Ferry Nab. Finally the costs incurred so far in all the consultants and reports for Canal Head development. Should be a long interview.
What about the costs of redoing the rejected LDP, the losses incurred from the Lake Users debacle, the legal cost of throwing 20 plus families off Holme Farm. Also the payments for the disabled car parking, the new parking machines, the funds never received from K Village. Coming soon will be costs to develop Ferry Nab. Finally the costs incurred so far in all the consultants and reports for Canal Head development. Should be a long interview. onelocal
  • Score: 0

6:04pm Fri 8 Feb 13

TomHarvey says...

Fear not, the subjects are said to include: vote on the Nuclear Repository and the resignation of Tim Knowles

Two topics that Peter has absolutely no involvement in (it was recorded this afternoon), still sure it won't stop him continuing ignoring the important issues in our area that onelocal mentions that he actually IS in charge of

http://goo.gl/JYqFC
Fear not, the subjects are said to include: vote on the Nuclear Repository and the resignation of Tim Knowles Two topics that Peter has absolutely no involvement in (it was recorded this afternoon), still sure it won't stop him continuing ignoring the important issues in our area that onelocal mentions that he actually IS in charge of http://goo.gl/JYqFC TomHarvey
  • Score: 0

8:41pm Fri 8 Feb 13

oceancloud says...

Muppet show returns to the BBC!!
Muppet show returns to the BBC!! oceancloud
  • Score: 0

8:42pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Lakeuk says...

Doesn't matter they may of not matched the questions to those they invited to interview, I notice the interview has already been put on youtube:-

http://youtu.be/_LmI
1KkICFA
Doesn't matter they may of not matched the questions to those they invited to interview, I notice the interview has already been put on youtube:- http://youtu.be/_LmI 1KkICFA Lakeuk
  • Score: 0

8:46am Sat 9 Feb 13

Moonbase says...

'How we are working with the people of South Lakeland'.........wh
at utter tosh,I think not.
Just as blinkered and as arrogant as the CEO of the NHS.
Money is being squanderd left right and centre.
Self importance at it's best.
Dilluded............
.....
'How we are working with the people of South Lakeland'.........wh at utter tosh,I think not. Just as blinkered and as arrogant as the CEO of the NHS. Money is being squanderd left right and centre. Self importance at it's best. Dilluded............ ..... Moonbase
  • Score: 0

1:52pm Sat 9 Feb 13

Blogtrotter says...

"It will give me the chance to talk about how we are working with the people of South Lakeland to give them the council they need.”

We all seem to be living in a parallel universe to Peter Thornton. He seems to be the only one who thinks he is doing a great job as leader of the council.
"It will give me the chance to talk about how we are working with the people of South Lakeland to give them the council they need.” We all seem to be living in a parallel universe to Peter Thornton. He seems to be the only one who thinks he is doing a great job as leader of the council. Blogtrotter
  • Score: 0

5:08pm Sat 9 Feb 13

FrontalLobe says...

Who is going to appear as the front of the pantomime horse?
Who is going to appear as the front of the pantomime horse? FrontalLobe
  • Score: 0

10:22pm Sat 9 Feb 13

in despair says...

Well I do have the stomach to watch what will inevitable be self congratulatory and delusional drivel.
Sooner we get this lot thrown out the better
Well I do have the stomach to watch what will inevitable be self congratulatory and delusional drivel. Sooner we get this lot thrown out the better in despair
  • Score: 0

10:23pm Sat 9 Feb 13

in despair says...

Meant to say I do NOT have the stomach.........
Meant to say I do NOT have the stomach......... in despair
  • Score: 0

2:17am Sun 10 Feb 13

onelocal says...

On another topic, why did the WG lead with a nonsense, ill researched sensationalist article on deprivation in Windermere, and then delete contributions from readers and finally close the blog on the article. Data shows that of a total of almost 4000 homes in Windermere, 4 are classed as Category 4 deprived, hardly a major issue, and probably due to more underlying issues.
Was the blog closed because of the sensitivity of the comments, or because the original article was rubbish, sucked leading politicians into making ill informed comments, and risks damaging the food name of Windermere.
On another topic, why did the WG lead with a nonsense, ill researched sensationalist article on deprivation in Windermere, and then delete contributions from readers and finally close the blog on the article. Data shows that of a total of almost 4000 homes in Windermere, 4 are classed as Category 4 deprived, hardly a major issue, and probably due to more underlying issues. Was the blog closed because of the sensitivity of the comments, or because the original article was rubbish, sucked leading politicians into making ill informed comments, and risks damaging the food name of Windermere. onelocal
  • Score: 0

2:18am Sun 10 Feb 13

onelocal says...

*good
*good onelocal
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Sun 10 Feb 13

zaney5 says...

onelocal wrote:
On another topic, why did the WG lead with a nonsense, ill researched sensationalist article on deprivation in Windermere, and then delete contributions from readers and finally close the blog on the article. Data shows that of a total of almost 4000 homes in Windermere, 4 are classed as Category 4 deprived, hardly a major issue, and probably due to more underlying issues.
Was the blog closed because of the sensitivity of the comments, or because the original article was rubbish, sucked leading politicians into making ill informed comments, and risks damaging the food name of Windermere.
Both? Gotta love that freedom of speech thing we have in this country!
[quote][p][bold]onelocal[/bold] wrote: On another topic, why did the WG lead with a nonsense, ill researched sensationalist article on deprivation in Windermere, and then delete contributions from readers and finally close the blog on the article. Data shows that of a total of almost 4000 homes in Windermere, 4 are classed as Category 4 deprived, hardly a major issue, and probably due to more underlying issues. Was the blog closed because of the sensitivity of the comments, or because the original article was rubbish, sucked leading politicians into making ill informed comments, and risks damaging the food name of Windermere.[/p][/quote]Both? Gotta love that freedom of speech thing we have in this country! zaney5
  • Score: 0

8:42pm Sun 10 Feb 13

magical trevor says...

He was vapid, hollow and didn't really have anything of any substance to say. He's most definitely not Brendan Jameson. He did not represent the South Lakes area at all...especially when compared to his fellow guest from Salford. A hugely missed opportunity Peter, to show the South Lakes electorate where your sympathies lie.
He was vapid, hollow and didn't really have anything of any substance to say. He's most definitely not Brendan Jameson. He did not represent the South Lakes area at all...especially when compared to his fellow guest from Salford. A hugely missed opportunity Peter, to show the South Lakes electorate where your sympathies lie. magical trevor
  • Score: 0

9:57pm Sun 10 Feb 13

FrontalLobe says...

Like many people I have lived in different Council areas. I have to say that I have never known a bunch quite like SLDC. O.K. it is a difficult and at times thankless job but it seems that there is a pattern of failure over several years often followed by denial and waffle. Not to mention a lack of any real consultation with the public they are supposed to serve. The land allocations are just the latest debacle and even when the Inspector had to put the date back at the council's request, SLDC tried to pretend it was actually some kind of success. In addition to the failures mentioned above what about the septic tank matter where several residents were presented with bills of thousands of pounds out of the blue? What about the suspension of several council officers over irregularities a few years ago. Only reluctantly were the public told anything and then we never got the full story. In Grange they managed to let an important footbridge fall into such a bad state that it was demolished. The then chief executive then told a public meeting he didn't know who was responsible for the decision not to maintain it, only that there was no money to replavce it. They then had the cheek to expect praise when years later after much pressure they finally did replace it. I think there is a real problem with the executive and not just the councillors themselves. .
Like many people I have lived in different Council areas. I have to say that I have never known a bunch quite like SLDC. O.K. it is a difficult and at times thankless job but it seems that there is a pattern of failure over several years often followed by denial and waffle. Not to mention a lack of any real consultation with the public they are supposed to serve. The land allocations are just the latest debacle and even when the Inspector had to put the date back at the council's request, SLDC tried to pretend it was actually some kind of success. In addition to the failures mentioned above what about the septic tank matter where several residents were presented with bills of thousands of pounds out of the blue? What about the suspension of several council officers over irregularities a few years ago. Only reluctantly were the public told anything and then we never got the full story. In Grange they managed to let an important footbridge fall into such a bad state that it was demolished. The then chief executive then told a public meeting he didn't know who was responsible for the decision not to maintain it, only that there was no money to replavce it. They then had the cheek to expect praise when years later after much pressure they finally did replace it. I think there is a real problem with the executive and not just the councillors themselves. . FrontalLobe
  • Score: 0

11:53pm Sun 10 Feb 13

snuggle-bunny says...

oceancloud wrote:
Muppet show returns to the BBC!!
The muppet show was on ITV- not BBC
[quote][p][bold]oceancloud[/bold] wrote: Muppet show returns to the BBC!![/p][/quote]The muppet show was on ITV- not BBC snuggle-bunny
  • Score: 0

11:56pm Sun 10 Feb 13

snuggle-bunny says...

magical trevor wrote:
He was vapid, hollow and didn't really have anything of any substance to say. He's most definitely not Brendan Jameson. He did not represent the South Lakes area at all...especially when compared to his fellow guest from Salford. A hugely missed opportunity Peter, to show the South Lakes electorate where your sympathies lie.
his sympathies lie in feathering his own nest at the taxpayers expense- roll on the council elections so we can vote them out
[quote][p][bold]magical trevor[/bold] wrote: He was vapid, hollow and didn't really have anything of any substance to say. He's most definitely not Brendan Jameson. He did not represent the South Lakes area at all...especially when compared to his fellow guest from Salford. A hugely missed opportunity Peter, to show the South Lakes electorate where your sympathies lie.[/p][/quote]his sympathies lie in feathering his own nest at the taxpayers expense- roll on the council elections so we can vote them out snuggle-bunny
  • Score: 0

7:03am Mon 11 Feb 13

magical trevor says...

You say that now though Snuggle-Bunny.....bu
t we'll end up with the same old, same old in power again.....or replaced with something worse or the same.....you get my drift.
You say that now though Snuggle-Bunny.....bu t we'll end up with the same old, same old in power again.....or replaced with something worse or the same.....you get my drift. magical trevor
  • Score: 0

9:05am Mon 11 Feb 13

boris plasticmac says...

My level of expectation is set at competent and if 'same old same old' delivers that I'll have some.
My level of expectation is set at competent and if 'same old same old' delivers that I'll have some. boris plasticmac
  • Score: 0

4:02pm Fri 15 Feb 13

Kendal Jock says...

onelocal wrote:
On another topic, why did the WG lead with a nonsense, ill researched sensationalist article on deprivation in Windermere, and then delete contributions from readers and finally close the blog on the article. Data shows that of a total of almost 4000 homes in Windermere, 4 are classed as Category 4 deprived, hardly a major issue, and probably due to more underlying issues.
Was the blog closed because of the sensitivity of the comments, or because the original article was rubbish, sucked leading politicians into making ill informed comments, and risks damaging the food name of Windermere.
Someone getting a back-hander?
They deleted the posts that didn't show any sympathy for the the overweight boozy scroungers. However! Tim Farron is on their side.....(:0) Ha Ha.
[quote][p][bold]onelocal[/bold] wrote: On another topic, why did the WG lead with a nonsense, ill researched sensationalist article on deprivation in Windermere, and then delete contributions from readers and finally close the blog on the article. Data shows that of a total of almost 4000 homes in Windermere, 4 are classed as Category 4 deprived, hardly a major issue, and probably due to more underlying issues. Was the blog closed because of the sensitivity of the comments, or because the original article was rubbish, sucked leading politicians into making ill informed comments, and risks damaging the food name of Windermere.[/p][/quote]Someone getting a back-hander? They deleted the posts that didn't show any sympathy for the the overweight boozy scroungers. However! Tim Farron is on their side.....(:0) Ha Ha. Kendal Jock
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree