When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Kendal woman badly burned after clothing catches fire
A KENDAL woman was taken to hospital today (Tuesday) with 22 per cent burns after her clothing caught fire at her home.
Emergency services were called to a house in Castle Grove this lunchtime.
The victim was taken to Royal Preston Hospital with burns to her face, back, torso and arms. It is understood that she will remain in hospital for a number of days.
Kendal fire station manager Brian Steadman said: "Her clothing, a nylon-type jumper, had come into contact with a naked flame. She managed to get out of the house and had removed the clothing by the time we arrived.
"It was an unfortunate accident. Synthetic clothing such as nylon tends to burn more readily. We would urge people need to be careful when wearing synthetic clothing."