Jury discharged after failing to reach verdict in Jamie Skelton 'dangerous driving' trial (From The Westmorland Gazette)
When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Jury discharged after failing to reach verdict in Jamie Skelton 'dangerous driving' trial
Updated 3:09pm Tuesday 19th March 2013 in News
THE jury in the trial of a teenager accused of causing death by dangerous driving was discharged this afternoon after failing to reach a verdict.
After retiring for seven hours and 33 minutes, the jury could not decide whether 18-year-old Jamie Skelton had caused the death of Ulverston dad George Tyson by dangerous driving.
Late this morning, after not reaching a unanimous decision, Judge Christopher Cornwall told the jury he would accept a majority verdict of 10 - 2, but they did not find this possible.
Skelton has denied the charge but admitted the lesser charge of causing death by careless driving.
Earlier, the prosecution had claimed the car driven by Skelton, of Hill Road, Barrow, was 'out of control' when it hit a Give Way post near Bardsea, last year.
Mr Tyson, who pushed his 32-year-old son Garry to safety, was killed when he was struck by the triangular metal sign.
The court heard that Skelton had told police he had driven along the A5087 at relevant speeds.
He said a car turning out of Main Street appeared to be pulling out in front of him so he slammed on his brakes.
"I thought I needed to do an emergency stop and then I obviously lost control," he told an officer.
A provisional re-trial date has been set for April 29, although this is to be confirmed on Friday.
Skelton has been given an interim disqualification from driving.