Kirkby Lonsdale councillor calls for Devil's Bridge 'tombstoners' to be hauled before court

First published in News The Westmorland Gazette: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

‘SENSELESS’ thrillseekers illegally jumping from Devil’s Bridge should be hauled before the courts and ‘made an example of’.

That is the call being made by Kirkby Lonsdale town councillor Paul Stephenson.

He was this week among those slamming people who continued making the 30ft leap almost a year to the day since 22-year-old Darrell Teal died ‘tombstoning’ from the town’s monument.

Coun Stephenson said a bylaw introduced to stop the action was not working.

He wants people who dice with death to face magistrates so a message is sent to others.

Meanwhile, Cumbria Police has urged the public to stop watching the decades-old danger activity and tell would-be jumpers they could die.

Sergeant John Stephens encouraged people to be ‘community spirited’ and said individuals must be responsible for their own safety as police could not monitor the bridge all the time.

The renewed calls came as large crowds gathered at the beauty spot, with South Lakeland sizzling in its hottest temperatures of the year.

Coun Stephenson told the Gazette: “I don’t know of anyone that has been fined. Obviously, it’s not working because it’s not stopping them.

“If the police were there a bit more and a few people were put before the magistrates and made an example of, it might deter people.

“I don’t think they appreciate what it’s like to lose someone close. They have no sense.

“It’s really down to education or fining them for doing it but the police can’t be there to do it all the time.

Sgt Stephens said: “One of the issues is we don’t get many calls from members of the public saying people are jumping.

“Don’t stand there watching and encouraging and clapping, go and stop them – not physically – but point out that’s it’s dangerous.

“You wouldn’t watch someone cross a railway line, so why watch them throw themselves off Devil’s Bridge and potentially die, or seriously injure themselves?”

An inquest found Mr Teal, of Manchester, drowned after hitting the cold water and passing out while jumping with friends last July.

South and East Cumbria Coroner Ian Smith ruled his death was accidental and pleaded with people to ‘think twice’ before jumping, adding: “It’s almost like hitting a solid object from that height.”

But with scores of people eager to enjoy the long-awaited heatwave, Mr Smith’s warning appeared to have fallen on deaf ears.

While, many sun-seekers were happy to cool off by paddling in the River Lune, others made death-defying jumps into the dark water just feet away.

To the amazement of stunned onlookers, some threw themselves off the three-arched structure head-first backwards, close to jagged rocks.

The jumpers – mainly sunburt young men in their late teens and early twenties - could be seen doing ‘trial runs’ by diving off a rockface into the deepest part of the river.

Some then opted against the illegal leap, while others seemed to grow in confidence. One teenager – aged around 17 - tapped his fingers on the 14th century brickwork while looking thoughtfully below, before turning away.

On Tuesday afternoon, four people jumped in half an hour, with two people ignoring the advice of a concerned woman who told them ‘it really isn’t as deep as it looks’.

People watched with bated breath to see if the plucky plungers came up again unscathed.

One man gasped loudly for air after resurfacing, as he was caught by the river’s icy temperature.

He did not wish to be named, but later told the Gazette he did it ‘for the rush’.

An echoing smacking noise could be heard when another young man entered the water, drawing groans from people looking on from the bridge and riverbank.

He shouted ‘ouch’ to his cheering friends and later complained of having a sore arm.

The man – aged 22 – said it wasn’t the first time he had made the jump, telling the Gazette: “I did it last year.”

The bridge bylaw was introduced in 1998 and is enforced by Cumbria Police and South Lakeland District Council.

If caught, people flouting it can be fined £500.

But Sgt Stephens said prosecutions relied on police actually seeing people jump, or witnesses being prepared to give statements.

He added: “As individuals, we have all got to take responsibility for our own safety. The police and other organisations can’t completely control every individual.”

Matthew Neal, solicitor to South Lakeland District Council, said: “This is a criminal activity and anyone who indulges in such reckless behaviour faces the risk of being prosecuted and receiving a hefty fine.

“In previous years people have been killed and seriously injured at Devil’s Bridge.

“There are clear signs in the area warning people of the dangers. We would ask the public to work with the council and the police to help prevent another tragedy.”

Comments (60)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:30pm Thu 11 Jul 13

Ambience says...

A Bye Law isn't going to stop this stupidity. Nor is the threat of a £500 fine. But if they're daft enough to do it, let them do it.
A Bye Law isn't going to stop this stupidity. Nor is the threat of a £500 fine. But if they're daft enough to do it, let them do it. Ambience
  • Score: 0

1:24pm Thu 11 Jul 13

A view From Cumbria says...

I totally agree with Paul Stephenson and if I had the time I would be taking photos of people doing this with a view to bringing private prosecutions.

Fishing out the corpses of those who don't surface is one of the most gut-wrenching things we expect of our emergency services.

Ultimately jumping off this bridge, or riding a motorbile at 95 mph, or playing dare with an intercity express are not just private actions which affect no-one else. They are the acts of supreme selfishness dressed up in the minds of the socially inadequate as bravura.
I totally agree with Paul Stephenson and if I had the time I would be taking photos of people doing this with a view to bringing private prosecutions. Fishing out the corpses of those who don't surface is one of the most gut-wrenching things we expect of our emergency services. Ultimately jumping off this bridge, or riding a motorbile at 95 mph, or playing dare with an intercity express are not just private actions which affect no-one else. They are the acts of supreme selfishness dressed up in the minds of the socially inadequate as bravura. A view From Cumbria
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Thu 11 Jul 13

Kendmoor says...

I agree with Ambience.
I agree with Ambience. Kendmoor
  • Score: 0

1:47pm Thu 11 Jul 13

Lakeuk says...

Bye laws are only as good as the resources put in to enforce them, it's not good use of police time to stake out all the local jumping points on a hot summers day - they'll attend if notified but as they say they rarely get the call.

Town councillor Paul Stephenson asking for those jumping to face magistrates fails to grasp that to get to that point evidence is needed that a bylaw has been broken to support a court case and since he says the bylaw isn't working then his grand idea isn't going to work.

Idiots will continue to take risks and ignore warns - if the town council want action to be taken then they need to do the policing and act as witnesses against those breaking the bylaw
Bye laws are only as good as the resources put in to enforce them, it's not good use of police time to stake out all the local jumping points on a hot summers day - they'll attend if notified but as they say they rarely get the call. Town councillor Paul Stephenson asking for those jumping to face magistrates fails to grasp that to get to that point evidence is needed that a bylaw has been broken to support a court case and since he says the bylaw isn't working then his grand idea isn't going to work. Idiots will continue to take risks and ignore warns - if the town council want action to be taken then they need to do the policing and act as witnesses against those breaking the bylaw Lakeuk
  • Score: 0

2:38pm Thu 11 Jul 13

archiebored says...

the idiots have also been jumping into the lune from the motorway bridge at junction 34. which is probably worse as they are putting motorists at risk. and it has been going on for years but no one seems too concerned!
the idiots have also been jumping into the lune from the motorway bridge at junction 34. which is probably worse as they are putting motorists at risk. and it has been going on for years but no one seems too concerned! archiebored
  • Score: 0

4:56pm Thu 11 Jul 13

Spotty Fish says...

Surely these sort of things have been going on ever since bridges were invented. It's human nature to want to push the boundaries, to get the adrenalin flowing. We can't live in a perfectly safe world where no one dies or gets injured. The human race would stagnate if people didn't push the envelope a little bit now and again, and this is just one small example of people doing that. Do we want The Mountain Rescue to stand at the foot of each mountain telling people not to go up because they could die?
Surely these sort of things have been going on ever since bridges were invented. It's human nature to want to push the boundaries, to get the adrenalin flowing. We can't live in a perfectly safe world where no one dies or gets injured. The human race would stagnate if people didn't push the envelope a little bit now and again, and this is just one small example of people doing that. Do we want The Mountain Rescue to stand at the foot of each mountain telling people not to go up because they could die? Spotty Fish
  • Score: 1

5:00pm Thu 11 Jul 13

Samlock says...

Think of it as cleansing the gene pool... Darwin Awards an all that :)
Think of it as cleansing the gene pool... Darwin Awards an all that :) Samlock
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Thu 11 Jul 13

A view From Cumbria says...

Reasonable efforts are made to disuade the stupid from going up mountains in adverse conditions. Sadly when they resist Mountain Rescue do have to go up to bring them down, or their bodies.

I was very moved by the incident at Devil's Bridge last year and I know how stressful it was to members of the emergency services and the relatives of the deceased.

When the signs were put up a journalist said to me sotto voce that the sign was an example of the Town Council covering its a**e. Emphatically it wasn't, and isn't. There was and is a sincere wish to save lives - however limited the contribution the life will make to the gene pool.
Reasonable efforts are made to disuade the stupid from going up mountains in adverse conditions. Sadly when they resist Mountain Rescue do have to go up to bring them down, or their bodies. I was very moved by the incident at Devil's Bridge last year and I know how stressful it was to members of the emergency services and the relatives of the deceased. When the signs were put up a journalist said to me sotto voce that the sign was an example of the Town Council covering its a**e. Emphatically it wasn't, and isn't. There was and is a sincere wish to save lives - however limited the contribution the life will make to the gene pool. A view From Cumbria
  • Score: 0

8:05pm Thu 11 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

I would suggest Paul Stephenson mind his own business.
If I choose to leap from Devil's Bridge then that is my business and my choice to experience a life-threatening situation.
If I die then that's a result of MY own choosing and he has no right to interfere.
I skydive, climb and mountaineer and all these activities obviously involve a degree of risk and I accept that, indeed relish it, but I don't plan to die as indeed would any of the Devil's Bridge jumpers, however, accepting the potential of death is a reality.
If that's not your 'scene' then fine but don't feel you have any right at all to try to stop me - the cheek of the man.
If you choose to live a safe life, that's fine and your choice, but that is NOT what I and countless others want from life.
And before we hear the tedious old line - think about the emergency services having to deal with the aftermath - I'd like to say if they can't handle that then maybe they should reconsider their chosen career.
I have to say though that the two friends I have currently working in the emergency services both openly admit to liking 'getting their hands dirty', sort of why they joined up I would have thought.
So I say again to the Town Councillor Stephenson - mind your own business and go and set up a committee for awarding the best hanging basket or something .
I would suggest Paul Stephenson mind his own business. If I choose to leap from Devil's Bridge then that is my business and my choice to experience a life-threatening situation. If I die then that's a result of MY own choosing and he has no right to interfere. I skydive, climb and mountaineer and all these activities obviously involve a degree of risk and I accept that, indeed relish it, but I don't plan to die as indeed would any of the Devil's Bridge jumpers, however, accepting the potential of death is a reality. If that's not your 'scene' then fine but don't feel you have any right at all to try to stop me - the cheek of the man. If you choose to live a safe life, that's fine and your choice, but that is NOT what I and countless others want from life. And before we hear the tedious old line - think about the emergency services having to deal with the aftermath - I'd like to say if they can't handle that then maybe they should reconsider their chosen career. I have to say though that the two friends I have currently working in the emergency services both openly admit to liking 'getting their hands dirty', sort of why they joined up I would have thought. So I say again to the Town Councillor Stephenson - mind your own business and go and set up a committee for awarding the best hanging basket or something . Fact181
  • Score: 1

8:51pm Thu 11 Jul 13

zaney5 says...

Samlock wrote:
Think of it as cleansing the gene pool... Darwin Awards an all that :)
I was thinking the exact same thing!
[quote][p][bold]Samlock[/bold] wrote: Think of it as cleansing the gene pool... Darwin Awards an all that :)[/p][/quote]I was thinking the exact same thing! zaney5
  • Score: 0

12:41am Fri 12 Jul 13

Kendmoor says...

I wholeheartedly agree with Fact181.
I wholeheartedly agree with Fact181. Kendmoor
  • Score: 0

9:22am Fri 12 Jul 13

outdoorman says...

Well said Fact181!
I'm an outdoor instructor that takes groups canyoning in the Lakes doing similar jumps.does that mean i have to tell each customer they can die from doing this activity!
Even after they have been driving up the M6 which has more accidents each year!
When people get injured from such activities its mainly from bad judgement or another factor and are very rare.
people drown swimming in lakes when the cold water shocks them,are they going to put bylaws on every lake saying if you swim in here you will fined!
Paul Stephenson sounds very narrow minded with no understanding of what he's talking about!
Well said Fact181! I'm an outdoor instructor that takes groups canyoning in the Lakes doing similar jumps.does that mean i have to tell each customer they can die from doing this activity! Even after they have been driving up the M6 which has more accidents each year! When people get injured from such activities its mainly from bad judgement or another factor and are very rare. people drown swimming in lakes when the cold water shocks them,are they going to put bylaws on every lake saying if you swim in here you will fined! Paul Stephenson sounds very narrow minded with no understanding of what he's talking about! outdoorman
  • Score: 1

10:11am Fri 12 Jul 13

PeterRogerson says...

I say leave them to it, if they want to potentially kill themselves then let them, more fool them to be honest. As long as the council have put up enough warning signs advising them of the perils of doing the jump and potential risks then they have done their part. These mindless idiots that jump have the choice not to jump so let them, there are risks in things we do everyday, some we can avoid and some we can't, in this case the risk could be avoided, however this type of person will always think they have more sense then the rest of us.
I say leave them to it, if they want to potentially kill themselves then let them, more fool them to be honest. As long as the council have put up enough warning signs advising them of the perils of doing the jump and potential risks then they have done their part. These mindless idiots that jump have the choice not to jump so let them, there are risks in things we do everyday, some we can avoid and some we can't, in this case the risk could be avoided, however this type of person will always think they have more sense then the rest of us. PeterRogerson
  • Score: 0

11:16am Fri 12 Jul 13

littlemy says...

If people want to take stupid risks I don't have a problem with it. However I do think they should be charged for medical treatment if they are injured especially if they are breaking the law !
If people want to take stupid risks I don't have a problem with it. However I do think they should be charged for medical treatment if they are injured especially if they are breaking the law ! littlemy
  • Score: 0

11:37am Fri 12 Jul 13

outdoorman says...

i think its highly offensive to call people stupid or idiots just because they enjoy themselves doing something that they don't do themselves!
a lack of understanding why people do it is pure ignorance,as my job i take people jumping off things with out any degree of danger it is just bad luck if someone gets hurt or injured,would you call some one an idiot for been in a car accident or falling off there bike?
i think its highly offensive to call people stupid or idiots just because they enjoy themselves doing something that they don't do themselves! a lack of understanding why people do it is pure ignorance,as my job i take people jumping off things with out any degree of danger it is just bad luck if someone gets hurt or injured,would you call some one an idiot for been in a car accident or falling off there bike? outdoorman
  • Score: 1

11:46am Fri 12 Jul 13

A view From Cumbria says...

I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.
I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it. A view From Cumbria
  • Score: 0

12:06pm Fri 12 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

littlemy wrote:
If people want to take stupid risks I don't have a problem with it. However I do think they should be charged for medical treatment if they are injured especially if they are breaking the law !
So by that outstanding logic we must also charge for the medical attention that drinkers, smokers and the overweight receive?
Shall we research the tax imposed on these groups? Smokers for example should be given private care given the taxation they are exposed too.
How about those people who remain in violent relationships and attend A&E, that's a conscious decision, penalise those too?
If you spend your life watching The X Factor, drinking, eating rubbish, smoking and happen to suffer a condition that requires medical attention as a result, and much as I disagree wholeheartedly with that lifestyle, I wouldn't deny you medical attention even if that lifestyle does costs the NHS an infinite amount more than the odd person injuring themselves participating in an activity that has gone wrong.
The vast majority of the people in the UK are tax payers, even those on benefits, and regardless of your misguided beliefs they SHOULD be entitled to that medical attention as a result.
You need to understand something about life - the lifestyle we all lead now is the best and most comfortable ever in the history of our species but it is very temporary and can only deteriorate, be thankful that you have such a luxurious life and that you're able to spend time making such inane statements in the comfort of your home.
I'd rather live to fifty having experienced a full life than live to a hundred in a politically correct, hermetically sealed, safe and non-eventful life.
As I stated in my previous post, I wouldn't punish you for not wishing to live like that so I and many others would appreciate you extending us the same courtesy.
[quote][p][bold]littlemy[/bold] wrote: If people want to take stupid risks I don't have a problem with it. However I do think they should be charged for medical treatment if they are injured especially if they are breaking the law ![/p][/quote]So by that outstanding logic we must also charge for the medical attention that drinkers, smokers and the overweight receive? Shall we research the tax imposed on these groups? Smokers for example should be given private care given the taxation they are exposed too. How about those people who remain in violent relationships and attend A&E, that's a conscious decision, penalise those too? If you spend your life watching The X Factor, drinking, eating rubbish, smoking and happen to suffer a condition that requires medical attention as a result, and much as I disagree wholeheartedly with that lifestyle, I wouldn't deny you medical attention even if that lifestyle does costs the NHS an infinite amount more than the odd person injuring themselves participating in an activity that has gone wrong. The vast majority of the people in the UK are tax payers, even those on benefits, and regardless of your misguided beliefs they SHOULD be entitled to that medical attention as a result. You need to understand something about life - the lifestyle we all lead now is the best and most comfortable ever in the history of our species but it is very temporary and can only deteriorate, be thankful that you have such a luxurious life and that you're able to spend time making such inane statements in the comfort of your home. I'd rather live to fifty having experienced a full life than live to a hundred in a politically correct, hermetically sealed, safe and non-eventful life. As I stated in my previous post, I wouldn't punish you for not wishing to live like that so I and many others would appreciate you extending us the same courtesy. Fact181
  • Score: 1

12:11pm Fri 12 Jul 13

outdoorman says...

With that in mind we wouldn't ever be able to do anything that has an element of risk! such as crossing a road,cooking a meal,having a bath!
There are far more incidents related to basic everyday life than what is going on here!
Are we going to do the same for every car manufacturer,super market or sport that might result in potential tragedy?
what next make bylaws and fine people for using a cooker or playing golf!
With that in mind we wouldn't ever be able to do anything that has an element of risk! such as crossing a road,cooking a meal,having a bath! There are far more incidents related to basic everyday life than what is going on here! Are we going to do the same for every car manufacturer,super market or sport that might result in potential tragedy? what next make bylaws and fine people for using a cooker or playing golf! outdoorman
  • Score: 0

12:18pm Fri 12 Jul 13

Spotty Fish says...

Fishing is a dangerous sport. Should fishermen be charged for any emergency assistance and medical treatment? The argument as to who should pay could go on.
Fishing is a dangerous sport. Should fishermen be charged for any emergency assistance and medical treatment? The argument as to who should pay could go on. Spotty Fish
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Fri 12 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

A view From Cumbria wrote:
I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.
Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business.
Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive.
I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement?
Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life!
You don't need to agree, it's a fact.
[quote][p][bold]A view From Cumbria[/bold] wrote: I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.[/p][/quote]Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business. Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive. I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement? Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life! You don't need to agree, it's a fact. Fact181
  • Score: 1

2:07pm Fri 12 Jul 13

tictoc1 says...

I'm with Fact181 all the way!
I'm with Fact181 all the way! tictoc1
  • Score: 0

2:08pm Fri 12 Jul 13

zaney5 says...

Fact181 wrote:
A view From Cumbria wrote:
I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.
Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business.
Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive.
I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement?
Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life!
You don't need to agree, it's a fact.
Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river.
[quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A view From Cumbria[/bold] wrote: I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.[/p][/quote]Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business. Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive. I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement? Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life! You don't need to agree, it's a fact.[/p][/quote]Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river. zaney5
  • Score: 0

2:32pm Fri 12 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

zaney5 wrote:
Fact181 wrote:
A view From Cumbria wrote:
I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.
Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business.
Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive.
I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement?
Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life!
You don't need to agree, it's a fact.
Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river.
Did you actually read a single word I said?
Your retort is both juvenile and based on ignorance given the fact you weren't prepared to read my posts.
I risk-take when mountaineering just by being in at environment, that is not arrogance it's the price I and many others are prepared to pay to experience that which is far from the norm.
[quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A view From Cumbria[/bold] wrote: I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.[/p][/quote]Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business. Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive. I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement? Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life! You don't need to agree, it's a fact.[/p][/quote]Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river.[/p][/quote]Did you actually read a single word I said? Your retort is both juvenile and based on ignorance given the fact you weren't prepared to read my posts. I risk-take when mountaineering just by being in at environment, that is not arrogance it's the price I and many others are prepared to pay to experience that which is far from the norm. Fact181
  • Score: 1

2:33pm Fri 12 Jul 13

outdoorman says...

unbelievable comment above,do you say that to road crash victims!
what the point is,surely we are aloud to make our on judgement on our ability to do something and not be told what are perceived risk to be over exaggerated into horrendous results.
I do this sort of thing everyday with members of the public and have never encountered any tragedy.
It is sad that it happened a year ago as a rare incident,it is only when press pick on something and rename it as "tomb-stoning" everyone believes if you do this you will die!
unbelievable comment above,do you say that to road crash victims! what the point is,surely we are aloud to make our on judgement on our ability to do something and not be told what are perceived risk to be over exaggerated into horrendous results. I do this sort of thing everyday with members of the public and have never encountered any tragedy. It is sad that it happened a year ago as a rare incident,it is only when press pick on something and rename it as "tomb-stoning" everyone believes if you do this you will die! outdoorman
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Fri 12 Jul 13

zaney5 says...

Fact181 wrote:
zaney5 wrote:
Fact181 wrote:
A view From Cumbria wrote:
I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.
Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business.
Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive.
I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement?
Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life!
You don't need to agree, it's a fact.
Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river.
Did you actually read a single word I said?
Your retort is both juvenile and based on ignorance given the fact you weren't prepared to read my posts.
I risk-take when mountaineering just by being in at environment, that is not arrogance it's the price I and many others are prepared to pay to experience that which is far from the norm.
Actually I did read your post. Several times in fact, which is how I made the judgement about your arrogance.
[quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A view From Cumbria[/bold] wrote: I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.[/p][/quote]Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business. Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive. I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement? Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life! You don't need to agree, it's a fact.[/p][/quote]Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river.[/p][/quote]Did you actually read a single word I said? Your retort is both juvenile and based on ignorance given the fact you weren't prepared to read my posts. I risk-take when mountaineering just by being in at environment, that is not arrogance it's the price I and many others are prepared to pay to experience that which is far from the norm.[/p][/quote]Actually I did read your post. Several times in fact, which is how I made the judgement about your arrogance. zaney5
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Fri 12 Jul 13

zaney5 says...

outdoorman wrote:
unbelievable comment above,do you say that to road crash victims!
what the point is,surely we are aloud to make our on judgement on our ability to do something and not be told what are perceived risk to be over exaggerated into horrendous results.
I do this sort of thing everyday with members of the public and have never encountered any tragedy.
It is sad that it happened a year ago as a rare incident,it is only when press pick on something and rename it as "tomb-stoning" everyone believes if you do this you will die!
I'm assuming you are talking about my comment.

To compare someone who deliberatly jumps from a bridge into a shallow, rocky river to a road crash victim is ridiculous.
The 2 have no bearing on each other whatsoever.
[quote][p][bold]outdoorman[/bold] wrote: unbelievable comment above,do you say that to road crash victims! what the point is,surely we are aloud to make our on judgement on our ability to do something and not be told what are perceived risk to be over exaggerated into horrendous results. I do this sort of thing everyday with members of the public and have never encountered any tragedy. It is sad that it happened a year ago as a rare incident,it is only when press pick on something and rename it as "tomb-stoning" everyone believes if you do this you will die![/p][/quote]I'm assuming you are talking about my comment. To compare someone who deliberatly jumps from a bridge into a shallow, rocky river to a road crash victim is ridiculous. The 2 have no bearing on each other whatsoever. zaney5
  • Score: 0

2:48pm Fri 12 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

zaney5 wrote:
Fact181 wrote:
zaney5 wrote:
Fact181 wrote:
A view From Cumbria wrote:
I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.
Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business.
Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive.
I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement?
Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life!
You don't need to agree, it's a fact.
Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river.
Did you actually read a single word I said?
Your retort is both juvenile and based on ignorance given the fact you weren't prepared to read my posts.
I risk-take when mountaineering just by being in at environment, that is not arrogance it's the price I and many others are prepared to pay to experience that which is far from the norm.
Actually I did read your post. Several times in fact, which is how I made the judgement about your arrogance.
I'm arrogant and you're ignorant - that makes me better than you! -
see what I did there?
Listen if you confuse arrogance for standing up for yourself then that's your problem.
[quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A view From Cumbria[/bold] wrote: I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.[/p][/quote]Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business. Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive. I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement? Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life! You don't need to agree, it's a fact.[/p][/quote]Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river.[/p][/quote]Did you actually read a single word I said? Your retort is both juvenile and based on ignorance given the fact you weren't prepared to read my posts. I risk-take when mountaineering just by being in at environment, that is not arrogance it's the price I and many others are prepared to pay to experience that which is far from the norm.[/p][/quote]Actually I did read your post. Several times in fact, which is how I made the judgement about your arrogance.[/p][/quote]I'm arrogant and you're ignorant - that makes me better than you! - see what I did there? Listen if you confuse arrogance for standing up for yourself then that's your problem. Fact181
  • Score: 0

3:07pm Fri 12 Jul 13

Spotty Fish says...

zaney5 says...
2:08pm Fri 12 Jul 13

Fact181 wrote:
A view From Cumbria wrote:
I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it.
Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business.
Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive.
I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement?
Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life!
You don't need to agree, it's a fact.
Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river.

You're right zaney, it won't help him, but at least Fact181 will have lived a little. I guess someone with that kind of attitude will never understand the life that someone like Fact181 lives, by choice.
Many people deliberately go out in their cars to drive quickly, just for the buzz of it, so you can very easily compare the two. I bet more of the bikers who gather at Devil's Bridge will have accidents and injuries because they pushed it just that little bit too far, than the people who jump off the bridge.
zaney5 says... 2:08pm Fri 12 Jul 13 Fact181 wrote: A view From Cumbria wrote: I can assure you Paul Stephenson is a very open minded individual. With respect, there is plenty of tragedy in this world without making it. Open-minded or otherwise I'm not interested, it's none of his business. Indeed you're right regarding there being plenty of misery in the world but at least there are people in that world doing things that keep the human spirit alive. I climbed Annapurna in the Himalaya a number of years ago, was that reckless or an achievement? Don't be making the mistake of comparing Annapurna and leaping from Devil's Bridge and laughing, if you do I would suggest you try jumping from it. Standing on that edge and mustering the courage is when you really experience life! You don't need to agree, it's a fact. Sheer arogance and dumb luck won't help you when they are scraping you off the bottom of the river. You're right zaney, it won't help him, but at least Fact181 will have lived a little. I guess someone with that kind of attitude will never understand the life that someone like Fact181 lives, by choice. Many people deliberately go out in their cars to drive quickly, just for the buzz of it, so you can very easily compare the two. I bet more of the bikers who gather at Devil's Bridge will have accidents and injuries because they pushed it just that little bit too far, than the people who jump off the bridge. Spotty Fish
  • Score: 1

5:58pm Fri 12 Jul 13

fellsman says...

Here we go again - another bunch of namby pambies wanting to inflict their narrow minded views. I don't engage in such activity, most likely couldn't even if I wanted to, and can't for the life of me believe that anyone should want to do something so stupid, BUT its their decision - leave them to it - for the rest of you, get a life and mind your own business
Here we go again - another bunch of namby pambies wanting to inflict their narrow minded views. I don't engage in such activity, most likely couldn't even if I wanted to, and can't for the life of me believe that anyone should want to do something so stupid, BUT its their decision - leave them to it - for the rest of you, get a life and mind your own business fellsman
  • Score: 1

8:00pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Ambience says...

Enough said. The solution is simple. Large notices erected at Devil's Bridge to the effect that anyone jumping off the bridge into the river does so at their own risk and if they are hurt whilst partaking of this pass time the emergency services won't be called and it is up to the individual to seek out and pay for their own treatment.
Enough said. The solution is simple. Large notices erected at Devil's Bridge to the effect that anyone jumping off the bridge into the river does so at their own risk and if they are hurt whilst partaking of this pass time the emergency services won't be called and it is up to the individual to seek out and pay for their own treatment. Ambience
  • Score: 0

8:07pm Sat 13 Jul 13

craggy says...

I agree with pretty much everything you say Fact181 but I honestly think you are missing the crucial point. Those who push the limits and achieve difficult tasks like mountaineering do so with knowledge, training, skill and a realistic idea of their abilities. When you climbed Annapurna presumably you did so with the correct safety procedures in place? I presume you used tested & functioning equipment?
What would you think if you had to cut short your climb to rescue an ill-equipped, unprepared climber who had no technical ability and no idea of what he was doing?
Do you honestly think those who jump off this bridge have made a skilled assessment of what they are doing and are fully aware of the risk they are choosing to take?
I agree with pretty much everything you say Fact181 but I honestly think you are missing the crucial point. Those who push the limits and achieve difficult tasks like mountaineering do so with knowledge, training, skill and a realistic idea of their abilities. When you climbed Annapurna presumably you did so with the correct safety procedures in place? I presume you used tested & functioning equipment? What would you think if you had to cut short your climb to rescue an ill-equipped, unprepared climber who had no technical ability and no idea of what he was doing? Do you honestly think those who jump off this bridge have made a skilled assessment of what they are doing and are fully aware of the risk they are choosing to take? craggy
  • Score: 0

8:08pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

Ambience wrote:
Enough said. The solution is simple. Large notices erected at Devil's Bridge to the effect that anyone jumping off the bridge into the river does so at their own risk and if they are hurt whilst partaking of this pass time the emergency services won't be called and it is up to the individual to seek out and pay for their own treatment.
Your tedious post has previously been addressed, come on, keep up!
[quote][p][bold]Ambience[/bold] wrote: Enough said. The solution is simple. Large notices erected at Devil's Bridge to the effect that anyone jumping off the bridge into the river does so at their own risk and if they are hurt whilst partaking of this pass time the emergency services won't be called and it is up to the individual to seek out and pay for their own treatment.[/p][/quote]Your tedious post has previously been addressed, come on, keep up! Fact181
  • Score: 0

8:13pm Sat 13 Jul 13

zaney5 says...

Ambience wrote:
Enough said. The solution is simple. Large notices erected at Devil's Bridge to the effect that anyone jumping off the bridge into the river does so at their own risk and if they are hurt whilst partaking of this pass time the emergency services won't be called and it is up to the individual to seek out and pay for their own treatment.
Hear hear. Why should our already overstretched emergency services/health service be stretched even further for some **** who wants to feel like they've "lived a little".
Especially when what they are doing is illegal.
[quote][p][bold]Ambience[/bold] wrote: Enough said. The solution is simple. Large notices erected at Devil's Bridge to the effect that anyone jumping off the bridge into the river does so at their own risk and if they are hurt whilst partaking of this pass time the emergency services won't be called and it is up to the individual to seek out and pay for their own treatment.[/p][/quote]Hear hear. Why should our already overstretched emergency services/health service be stretched even further for some **** who wants to feel like they've "lived a little". Especially when what they are doing is illegal. zaney5
  • Score: 0

8:35pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

zaney5 wrote:
Ambience wrote:
Enough said. The solution is simple. Large notices erected at Devil's Bridge to the effect that anyone jumping off the bridge into the river does so at their own risk and if they are hurt whilst partaking of this pass time the emergency services won't be called and it is up to the individual to seek out and pay for their own treatment.
Hear hear. Why should our already overstretched emergency services/health service be stretched even further for some **** who wants to feel like they've "lived a little".
Especially when what they are doing is illegal.
The emergency services are 'overstretched' due to the result of drugs, alcohol, and the general sedentary lifestyle in the UK and not the odd persons leaping from Devil's Bridge.
Can I ask, do you take it upon yourself to stop overweight people in the street and berate them for endangering their lives and costing the NHS countless millions? Have you asked a group of drunken people on a Saturday night to consider there livers and the drain on resources they are to our hospitals, and if not why not as you seem to happily pass on your opinions in this instance?
[quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambience[/bold] wrote: Enough said. The solution is simple. Large notices erected at Devil's Bridge to the effect that anyone jumping off the bridge into the river does so at their own risk and if they are hurt whilst partaking of this pass time the emergency services won't be called and it is up to the individual to seek out and pay for their own treatment.[/p][/quote]Hear hear. Why should our already overstretched emergency services/health service be stretched even further for some **** who wants to feel like they've "lived a little". Especially when what they are doing is illegal.[/p][/quote]The emergency services are 'overstretched' due to the result of drugs, alcohol, and the general sedentary lifestyle in the UK and not the odd persons leaping from Devil's Bridge. Can I ask, do you take it upon yourself to stop overweight people in the street and berate them for endangering their lives and costing the NHS countless millions? Have you asked a group of drunken people on a Saturday night to consider there livers and the drain on resources they are to our hospitals, and if not why not as you seem to happily pass on your opinions in this instance? Fact181
  • Score: 1

8:50pm Sat 13 Jul 13

zaney5 says...

But we're not talking about over weight people. Or drunken people on a Saturday night.

And I'm still waiting for you to answer craggys post.
But we're not talking about over weight people. Or drunken people on a Saturday night. And I'm still waiting for you to answer craggys post. zaney5
  • Score: 0

9:00pm Sat 13 Jul 13

craggy says...

Again Fact181 you are correct but missing the main point. Of those that choose to jump, who are ones who are getting hurt and causing problems for the overstretched services? is it the fit, athletic go getters or the drunk, normally sedentary idiots?
Again Fact181 you are correct but missing the main point. Of those that choose to jump, who are ones who are getting hurt and causing problems for the overstretched services? is it the fit, athletic go getters or the drunk, normally sedentary idiots? craggy
  • Score: 0

9:05pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

zaney5 wrote:
But we're not talking about over weight people. Or drunken people on a Saturday night.

And I'm still waiting for you to answer craggys post.
But we ARE talking about endangering life and you were the one that pointed out the draining of the emergency services, so come on!
As for Craggy's 'question', don't you concern yourself yet again with something that doesn't concern you, I'll address that shortly.
[quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: But we're not talking about over weight people. Or drunken people on a Saturday night. And I'm still waiting for you to answer craggys post.[/p][/quote]But we ARE talking about endangering life and you were the one that pointed out the draining of the emergency services, so come on! As for Craggy's 'question', don't you concern yourself yet again with something that doesn't concern you, I'll address that shortly. Fact181
  • Score: 0

9:09pm Sat 13 Jul 13

zaney5 says...

Fact181 wrote:
zaney5 wrote:
But we're not talking about over weight people. Or drunken people on a Saturday night.

And I'm still waiting for you to answer craggys post.
But we ARE talking about endangering life and you were the one that pointed out the draining of the emergency services, so come on!
As for Craggy's 'question', don't you concern yourself yet again with something that doesn't concern you, I'll address that shortly.
LOL you know what, don't bother.You'll be seriously wasting your breath.
[quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: But we're not talking about over weight people. Or drunken people on a Saturday night. And I'm still waiting for you to answer craggys post.[/p][/quote]But we ARE talking about endangering life and you were the one that pointed out the draining of the emergency services, so come on! As for Craggy's 'question', don't you concern yourself yet again with something that doesn't concern you, I'll address that shortly.[/p][/quote]LOL you know what, don't bother.You'll be seriously wasting your breath. zaney5
  • Score: 0

9:15pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

craggy wrote:
Again Fact181 you are correct but missing the main point. Of those that choose to jump, who are ones who are getting hurt and causing problems for the overstretched services? is it the fit, athletic go getters or the drunk, normally sedentary idiots?
The 'drunk, normal sedentary idiots' obviously, by far.
What a ridiculous statement!
I'll tell you what, let's choose ANY hospital (or ten) in ANY county you like and I'll meet you there and we will see which demographics are responsible for our overstretched services, right now, come on.
A million pound says it's not down to a minute group of individuals the wish to experience something a little bit extra in life shall we say?
[quote][p][bold]craggy[/bold] wrote: Again Fact181 you are correct but missing the main point. Of those that choose to jump, who are ones who are getting hurt and causing problems for the overstretched services? is it the fit, athletic go getters or the drunk, normally sedentary idiots?[/p][/quote]The 'drunk, normal sedentary idiots' obviously, by far. What a ridiculous statement! I'll tell you what, let's choose ANY hospital (or ten) in ANY county you like and I'll meet you there and we will see which demographics are responsible for our overstretched services, right now, come on. A million pound says it's not down to a minute group of individuals the wish to experience something a little bit extra in life shall we say? Fact181
  • Score: 1

9:21pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

zaney5 wrote:
Fact181 wrote:
zaney5 wrote:
But we're not talking about over weight people. Or drunken people on a Saturday night.

And I'm still waiting for you to answer craggys post.
But we ARE talking about endangering life and you were the one that pointed out the draining of the emergency services, so come on!
As for Craggy's 'question', don't you concern yourself yet again with something that doesn't concern you, I'll address that shortly.
LOL you know what, don't bother.You'll be seriously wasting your breath.
You know what?
Given the obvious narrow-minded consensus here and certain individuals who clearly have an inabilty to argue a valid point coherently, for once, I agree with you.
[quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: But we're not talking about over weight people. Or drunken people on a Saturday night. And I'm still waiting for you to answer craggys post.[/p][/quote]But we ARE talking about endangering life and you were the one that pointed out the draining of the emergency services, so come on! As for Craggy's 'question', don't you concern yourself yet again with something that doesn't concern you, I'll address that shortly.[/p][/quote]LOL you know what, don't bother.You'll be seriously wasting your breath.[/p][/quote]You know what? Given the obvious narrow-minded consensus here and certain individuals who clearly have an inabilty to argue a valid point coherently, for once, I agree with you. Fact181
  • Score: 0

9:28pm Sat 13 Jul 13

churchy66 says...

yawn
yawn churchy66
  • Score: 0

9:41pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

craggy wrote:
I agree with pretty much everything you say Fact181 but I honestly think you are missing the crucial point. Those who push the limits and achieve difficult tasks like mountaineering do so with knowledge, training, skill and a realistic idea of their abilities. When you climbed Annapurna presumably you did so with the correct safety procedures in place? I presume you used tested & functioning equipment?
What would you think if you had to cut short your climb to rescue an ill-equipped, unprepared climber who had no technical ability and no idea of what he was doing?
Do you honestly think those who jump off this bridge have made a skilled assessment of what they are doing and are fully aware of the risk they are choosing to take?
I'm sorry but I really don't think you have thought about what you have typed there.
Clearly mountaineering requires equipment and planning but ultimately the very enviroment you are in renders you exposed to potential dangers beyond your control.
Some of the best mountaineers in history, most in fact, have died as a result of matters being beyond their control, certainly not due to inexperience etc.
Jumping from a bridge into water is not dependent on equipment or experience and of course the jumpers plan, wouldn't you?
I know for a fact they don't plan to die and to be fair, is there a lot of planning required?
I and many others in this world consider some activities worth risking one's life for and as much as I resent others wasting their life creaking to old age I would not take it upon myself to insist they do as I do.
[quote][p][bold]craggy[/bold] wrote: I agree with pretty much everything you say Fact181 but I honestly think you are missing the crucial point. Those who push the limits and achieve difficult tasks like mountaineering do so with knowledge, training, skill and a realistic idea of their abilities. When you climbed Annapurna presumably you did so with the correct safety procedures in place? I presume you used tested & functioning equipment? What would you think if you had to cut short your climb to rescue an ill-equipped, unprepared climber who had no technical ability and no idea of what he was doing? Do you honestly think those who jump off this bridge have made a skilled assessment of what they are doing and are fully aware of the risk they are choosing to take?[/p][/quote]I'm sorry but I really don't think you have thought about what you have typed there. Clearly mountaineering requires equipment and planning but ultimately the very enviroment you are in renders you exposed to potential dangers beyond your control. Some of the best mountaineers in history, most in fact, have died as a result of matters being beyond their control, certainly not due to inexperience etc. Jumping from a bridge into water is not dependent on equipment or experience and of course the jumpers plan, wouldn't you? I know for a fact they don't plan to die and to be fair, is there a lot of planning required? I and many others in this world consider some activities worth risking one's life for and as much as I resent others wasting their life creaking to old age I would not take it upon myself to insist they do as I do. Fact181
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Ambience says...

Could Fact181 please go and take a running jump into the river.
Could Fact181 please go and take a running jump into the river. Ambience
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Sat 13 Jul 13

craggy says...

Fact181 wrote:
craggy wrote:
Again Fact181 you are correct but missing the main point. Of those that choose to jump, who are ones who are getting hurt and causing problems for the overstretched services? is it the fit, athletic go getters or the drunk, normally sedentary idiots?
The 'drunk, normal sedentary idiots' obviously, by far.
What a ridiculous statement!
I'll tell you what, let's choose ANY hospital (or ten) in ANY county you like and I'll meet you there and we will see which demographics are responsible for our overstretched services, right now, come on.
A million pound says it's not down to a minute group of individuals the wish to experience something a little bit extra in life shall we say?
I think you are too busy attacking everybody to notice when somebody is agreeing with you!
[quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]craggy[/bold] wrote: Again Fact181 you are correct but missing the main point. Of those that choose to jump, who are ones who are getting hurt and causing problems for the overstretched services? is it the fit, athletic go getters or the drunk, normally sedentary idiots?[/p][/quote]The 'drunk, normal sedentary idiots' obviously, by far. What a ridiculous statement! I'll tell you what, let's choose ANY hospital (or ten) in ANY county you like and I'll meet you there and we will see which demographics are responsible for our overstretched services, right now, come on. A million pound says it's not down to a minute group of individuals the wish to experience something a little bit extra in life shall we say?[/p][/quote]I think you are too busy attacking everybody to notice when somebody is agreeing with you! craggy
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

churchy66 wrote:
yawn
Go back asleep, you've missed it all.
[quote][p][bold]churchy66[/bold] wrote: yawn[/p][/quote]Go back asleep, you've missed it all. Fact181
  • Score: 0

9:49pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

craggy wrote:
Fact181 wrote:
craggy wrote:
Again Fact181 you are correct but missing the main point. Of those that choose to jump, who are ones who are getting hurt and causing problems for the overstretched services? is it the fit, athletic go getters or the drunk, normally sedentary idiots?
The 'drunk, normal sedentary idiots' obviously, by far.
What a ridiculous statement!
I'll tell you what, let's choose ANY hospital (or ten) in ANY county you like and I'll meet you there and we will see which demographics are responsible for our overstretched services, right now, come on.
A million pound says it's not down to a minute group of individuals the wish to experience something a little bit extra in life shall we say?
I think you are too busy attacking everybody to notice when somebody is agreeing with you!
Then I truly apologise to you sir, I misread your post and retract my response no offence intended.
In my own defence I am typing as I drive.
(I'm joking!).
[quote][p][bold]craggy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]craggy[/bold] wrote: Again Fact181 you are correct but missing the main point. Of those that choose to jump, who are ones who are getting hurt and causing problems for the overstretched services? is it the fit, athletic go getters or the drunk, normally sedentary idiots?[/p][/quote]The 'drunk, normal sedentary idiots' obviously, by far. What a ridiculous statement! I'll tell you what, let's choose ANY hospital (or ten) in ANY county you like and I'll meet you there and we will see which demographics are responsible for our overstretched services, right now, come on. A million pound says it's not down to a minute group of individuals the wish to experience something a little bit extra in life shall we say?[/p][/quote]I think you are too busy attacking everybody to notice when somebody is agreeing with you![/p][/quote]Then I truly apologise to you sir, I misread your post and retract my response no offence intended. In my own defence I am typing as I drive. (I'm joking!). Fact181
  • Score: 0

9:50pm Sat 13 Jul 13

zaney5 says...

Ambience wrote:
Could Fact181 please go and take a running jump into the river.
Probably has already.
[quote][p][bold]Ambience[/bold] wrote: Could Fact181 please go and take a running jump into the river.[/p][/quote]Probably has already. zaney5
  • Score: 0

9:58pm Sat 13 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

zaney5 wrote:
Ambience wrote:
Could Fact181 please go and take a running jump into the river.
Probably has already.
Oh you guys!
I just bet you go down a treat at the Rotary with jokes like that, comedy gold.
Are we not friends any more then?
[quote][p][bold]zaney5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambience[/bold] wrote: Could Fact181 please go and take a running jump into the river.[/p][/quote]Probably has already.[/p][/quote]Oh you guys! I just bet you go down a treat at the Rotary with jokes like that, comedy gold. Are we not friends any more then? Fact181
  • Score: 0

10:14am Sun 14 Jul 13

Spotty Fish says...

Blimey chaps, you all had your handbags out last night!
I have to say that Fact181 seems to be getting it in the neck for what is a perfectly reasonable argument. Some people chose to take risks and they usually spend time to work out the dangers and then decide if they think it's a risk worth taking. Read any mountaineering or exploration book, and that is what they do. Businesses do the same and when they get it wrong the results can be much more damaging, e.g. the banking crisis.
I don't understand why the likes of zaney5 have such a problem with people that wish to challenge themselves in this way.
It's such a tiny percentage of people that do these things that realistically that, when it goes wrong, it's hardly a major drain on the often misused resources of the NHS. I'm sure the struggling staff in A & E would much rather you used your energies to berate the drunk and abusive people they deal with on a weekend.
Blimey chaps, you all had your handbags out last night! I have to say that Fact181 seems to be getting it in the neck for what is a perfectly reasonable argument. Some people chose to take risks and they usually spend time to work out the dangers and then decide if they think it's a risk worth taking. Read any mountaineering or exploration book, and that is what they do. Businesses do the same and when they get it wrong the results can be much more damaging, e.g. the banking crisis. I don't understand why the likes of zaney5 have such a problem with people that wish to challenge themselves in this way. It's such a tiny percentage of people that do these things that realistically that, when it goes wrong, it's hardly a major drain on the often misused resources of the NHS. I'm sure the struggling staff in A & E would much rather you used your energies to berate the drunk and abusive people they deal with on a weekend. Spotty Fish
  • Score: 1

4:48pm Mon 15 Jul 13

Adam_Kendal says...

I agree with Fact181, it’s great to see someone so passionate about pushing the boundaries. I would love to try jumping off the bridge, but to be honest I’d be too petrified!

Generations are growing up wrapped in cotton wool, so-much-so that we forget about all the exciting and challenging activities there are out there.

I say to Fact181, Good on you! You’re clearly enjoying life and I wish I had the b*lls to try it.
I agree with Fact181, it’s great to see someone so passionate about pushing the boundaries. I would love to try jumping off the bridge, but to be honest I’d be too petrified! Generations are growing up wrapped in cotton wool, so-much-so that we forget about all the exciting and challenging activities there are out there. I say to Fact181, Good on you! You’re clearly enjoying life and I wish I had the b*lls to try it. Adam_Kendal
  • Score: 1

8:12pm Mon 15 Jul 13

Lakesgirl81 says...

The natural rock formation underneth and around the bridge is where the risk is. So it isn't as simple as just jumping in, its knowing exactly where to jump.
I feel that if you do chose to jump it should be at your own risk but don't call on our emergency services to fish you out when its gone wrong. As a local man Paul Stephenson has every right to give opinion because he knows the local area and its people better than most.
The natural rock formation underneth and around the bridge is where the risk is. So it isn't as simple as just jumping in, its knowing exactly where to jump. I feel that if you do chose to jump it should be at your own risk but don't call on our emergency services to fish you out when its gone wrong. As a local man Paul Stephenson has every right to give opinion because he knows the local area and its people better than most. Lakesgirl81
  • Score: 0

8:48pm Mon 15 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

Lakesgirl81 wrote:
The natural rock formation underneth and around the bridge is where the risk is. So it isn't as simple as just jumping in, its knowing exactly where to jump.
I feel that if you do chose to jump it should be at your own risk but don't call on our emergency services to fish you out when its gone wrong. As a local man Paul Stephenson has every right to give opinion because he knows the local area and its people better than most.
Do you actually believe that the people who jump from Devil's Bridge do so without any preparartion at all, without checking prior?
Because I'll happily tell you something - you attempt it and see how much you research it. Knowing where to jump is the most basic and most important factor involved.
Your emergency services point has been addressed numerous times so I won't waste my time other than suggesting you apply yourself and read!
As for your statement of Paul Stephenson being a local, knowing best and having a right to an opinion I have to say he may well be a local, as I am to the area, but in no way does that make him automatically correct in his opinions.
[quote][p][bold]Lakesgirl81[/bold] wrote: The natural rock formation underneth and around the bridge is where the risk is. So it isn't as simple as just jumping in, its knowing exactly where to jump. I feel that if you do chose to jump it should be at your own risk but don't call on our emergency services to fish you out when its gone wrong. As a local man Paul Stephenson has every right to give opinion because he knows the local area and its people better than most.[/p][/quote]Do you actually believe that the people who jump from Devil's Bridge do so without any preparartion at all, without checking prior? Because I'll happily tell you something - you attempt it and see how much you research it. Knowing where to jump is the most basic and most important factor involved. Your emergency services point has been addressed numerous times so I won't waste my time other than suggesting you apply yourself and read! As for your statement of Paul Stephenson being a local, knowing best and having a right to an opinion I have to say he may well be a local, as I am to the area, but in no way does that make him automatically correct in his opinions. Fact181
  • Score: 0

10:02pm Mon 15 Jul 13

Lakesgirl81 says...

I doubt you're a local, more an offcomer !!
I doubt you're a local, more an offcomer !! Lakesgirl81
  • Score: 0

11:00pm Mon 15 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

Lakesgirl81 wrote:
I doubt you're a local, more an offcomer !!
I'm not interested in wether you believe I'm a local or an 'offcomer' in the slightest.
The fact remains that regardless of being from the area or otherwise it does not give you the monopoly on being right.
Besides which, can a middle class 57 year old really profess to understanding those with a **** for adventure?
[quote][p][bold]Lakesgirl81[/bold] wrote: I doubt you're a local, more an offcomer !![/p][/quote]I'm not interested in wether you believe I'm a local or an 'offcomer' in the slightest. The fact remains that regardless of being from the area or otherwise it does not give you the monopoly on being right. Besides which, can a middle class 57 year old really profess to understanding those with a **** for adventure? Fact181
  • Score: 0

11:44pm Mon 15 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

**** for adventure?
Since when has **** become an inappropriate word?
**** for adventure? Since when has **** become an inappropriate word? Fact181
  • Score: 0

11:45pm Mon 15 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

Fact181 wrote:
**** for adventure?
Since when has **** become an inappropriate word?
Lu5t then!
[quote][p][bold]Fact181[/bold] wrote: **** for adventure? Since when has **** become an inappropriate word?[/p][/quote]Lu5t then! Fact181
  • Score: 0

5:02pm Tue 16 Jul 13

jazzactivist says...

Fact181, in the whole of your argument you are leaving out the most crucial people - the ones who have no choice but to see people engaging in dangerous activities, may witness a terrible accident because of it, and those who have to deal with the aftermath. Yes, an individual can make a choice to do something dangerous like this 'tombstoning', but it is a completely selfish act, especially if it is done in a place that is open to the public and that attracts families. To feel afraid for someone's safety, and to witness someone injure or kill themselves is a horrible experience, and not one that people should have to deal with as part of a day out.

Funny how the people who do this never seem to do it when they are alone and the weather is bad - probably because scaring others is part of the thrill! By all means go off up into the fells or climb Annapurna and throw yourself into water from a height. All that is being asked here is not to do it in front of others - by accident or design - and don't always assume that someone else will come to your rescue.
Fact181, in the whole of your argument you are leaving out the most crucial people - the ones who have no choice but to see people engaging in dangerous activities, may witness a terrible accident because of it, and those who have to deal with the aftermath. Yes, an individual can make a choice to do something dangerous like this 'tombstoning', but it is a completely selfish act, especially if it is done in a place that is open to the public and that attracts families. To feel afraid for someone's safety, and to witness someone injure or kill themselves is a horrible experience, and not one that people should have to deal with as part of a day out. Funny how the people who do this never seem to do it when they are alone and the weather is bad - probably because scaring others is part of the thrill! By all means go off up into the fells or climb Annapurna and throw yourself into water from a height. All that is being asked here is not to do it in front of others - by accident or design - and don't always assume that someone else will come to your rescue. jazzactivist
  • Score: 0

5:02pm Tue 16 Jul 13

jazzactivist says...

Fact181, in the whole of your argument you are leaving out the most crucial people - the ones who have no choice but to see people engaging in dangerous activities, may witness a terrible accident because of it, and those who have to deal with the aftermath. Yes, an individual can make a choice to do something dangerous like this 'tombstoning', but it is a completely selfish act, especially if it is done in a place that is open to the public and that attracts families. To feel afraid for someone's safety, and to witness someone injure or kill themselves is a horrible experience, and not one that people should have to deal with as part of a day out.

Funny how the people who do this never seem to do it when they are alone and the weather is bad - probably because scaring others is part of the thrill! By all means go off up into the fells or climb Annapurna and throw yourself into water from a height. All that is being asked here is not to do it in front of others - by accident or design - and don't always assume that someone else will come to your rescue.
Fact181, in the whole of your argument you are leaving out the most crucial people - the ones who have no choice but to see people engaging in dangerous activities, may witness a terrible accident because of it, and those who have to deal with the aftermath. Yes, an individual can make a choice to do something dangerous like this 'tombstoning', but it is a completely selfish act, especially if it is done in a place that is open to the public and that attracts families. To feel afraid for someone's safety, and to witness someone injure or kill themselves is a horrible experience, and not one that people should have to deal with as part of a day out. Funny how the people who do this never seem to do it when they are alone and the weather is bad - probably because scaring others is part of the thrill! By all means go off up into the fells or climb Annapurna and throw yourself into water from a height. All that is being asked here is not to do it in front of others - by accident or design - and don't always assume that someone else will come to your rescue. jazzactivist
  • Score: 0

7:31pm Tue 16 Jul 13

Fact181 says...

jazzactivist wrote:
Fact181, in the whole of your argument you are leaving out the most crucial people - the ones who have no choice but to see people engaging in dangerous activities, may witness a terrible accident because of it, and those who have to deal with the aftermath. Yes, an individual can make a choice to do something dangerous like this 'tombstoning', but it is a completely selfish act, especially if it is done in a place that is open to the public and that attracts families. To feel afraid for someone's safety, and to witness someone injure or kill themselves is a horrible experience, and not one that people should have to deal with as part of a day out.

Funny how the people who do this never seem to do it when they are alone and the weather is bad - probably because scaring others is part of the thrill! By all means go off up into the fells or climb Annapurna and throw yourself into water from a height. All that is being asked here is not to do it in front of others - by accident or design - and don't always assume that someone else will come to your rescue.
So what you're saying is people wouldn't have the capacity to decide not to watch?
People have been watching, in numbers, maybe they were forced?
Your point about them only doing it when there's a crowd about might be due to their ego in part but I imagine realistically you would struggle to be alone at Devil's Bridge on a glorious day, just a theory.


' Funny how the people who do this never seem to do it when they are alone and the weather is bad'

Well I imagine you wouldn't see them if they were doing it alone and as for not doing it when the weather is bad can I say that that my mother adores gardening but not when it's wet and windy. My uncle's first love in life is golf but you don't see him playing often in a thunderstorm, odd that!
So in essence what you're actually suggesting is that people should not participate in potentially dangerous activities in case any spectators get offended, that Ayrton Senna hey, how selfish?
Infact we should ban any activity that could potentially inconvenience the emergency services.
We could ban the SAS given two soldiers died over the weekend during selection.
There's a infinite difference between an insignificant number of people jumping off the bridge (less having injured themselves) and the mass that lead a sedentary life contary to endless medical advice and end up costing the NHS and emergency services countless millions through poor health related illnesses - do something useful with your time and address that!
[quote][p][bold]jazzactivist[/bold] wrote: Fact181, in the whole of your argument you are leaving out the most crucial people - the ones who have no choice but to see people engaging in dangerous activities, may witness a terrible accident because of it, and those who have to deal with the aftermath. Yes, an individual can make a choice to do something dangerous like this 'tombstoning', but it is a completely selfish act, especially if it is done in a place that is open to the public and that attracts families. To feel afraid for someone's safety, and to witness someone injure or kill themselves is a horrible experience, and not one that people should have to deal with as part of a day out. Funny how the people who do this never seem to do it when they are alone and the weather is bad - probably because scaring others is part of the thrill! By all means go off up into the fells or climb Annapurna and throw yourself into water from a height. All that is being asked here is not to do it in front of others - by accident or design - and don't always assume that someone else will come to your rescue.[/p][/quote]So what you're saying is people wouldn't have the capacity to decide not to watch? People have been watching, in numbers, maybe they were forced? Your point about them only doing it when there's a crowd about might be due to their ego in part but I imagine realistically you would struggle to be alone at Devil's Bridge on a glorious day, just a theory. ' Funny how the people who do this never seem to do it when they are alone and the weather is bad' Well I imagine you wouldn't see them if they were doing it alone and as for not doing it when the weather is bad can I say that that my mother adores gardening but not when it's wet and windy. My uncle's first love in life is golf but you don't see him playing often in a thunderstorm, odd that! So in essence what you're actually suggesting is that people should not participate in potentially dangerous activities in case any spectators get offended, that Ayrton Senna hey, how selfish? Infact we should ban any activity that could potentially inconvenience the emergency services. We could ban the SAS given two soldiers died over the weekend during selection. There's a infinite difference between an insignificant number of people jumping off the bridge (less having injured themselves) and the mass that lead a sedentary life contary to endless medical advice and end up costing the NHS and emergency services countless millions through poor health related illnesses - do something useful with your time and address that! Fact181
  • Score: 1

10:15am Thu 25 Jul 13

Blogtrotter says...

Nanny State 1 / The people 0
Nanny State 1 / The people 0 Blogtrotter
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree