When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Watch out for algae in Windermere
12:39pm Wednesday 28th August 2013 in News
THOSE about to take a dip in Windermere are being warned to do so with caution, after evidence of blue-green algae has been found in part of the water.
The Environment Agency informed South Lakeland District Council that caution should be taken by anybody accessing the lake in the Millerground area.
They also said farmers and pet owners should prevent livestock and animals coming into contact to drinking the affected water, as it can sometimes prove fatal for animals.
Humans could develop skin rashes on contact with the algae and algal scum, and illness if it is swallowed.
South Lakeland District Council’s public protection manager, Phil Greenup, said: “Lake Windermere is the largest natural lake in England and is a very large body of water. Whilst this one location has been identified as being affected with algae it does not affect all areas and the other lakes. Tourists and residents are still able to enjoy its beauty and a wealth of water activities.
“Blue-green algae can potentially make people feel quite ill if swallowed or even by just swimming in it. We want the public to be aware of the affects and are asking people to be extra careful and vigilant when using the lakes and rivers for recreational purposes during the summer months.
"People should observe any notices near affected areas and avoid contact or drinking water from areas identified.”
Comments are closed on this article.