UPDATE: Suspended Cumbria chief Stuart Hyde 'indicates' he will stand down at the end of the year following 'retire or resign' ultimatum (From The Westmorland Gazette)
When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
UPDATE: Suspended Cumbria chief Stuart Hyde 'indicates' he will stand down at the end of the year following 'retire or resign' ultimatum
CUMBRIA’S suspended chief constable looks set to step down on New Year’s Eve following a ‘retire or resign’ ultimatum last week.
Stuart Hyde will return to work in just over a week but has ‘indicated’ he will retire on December 31, less than a week after details of his suspension were made public and he was urged to stand down by police and crime commissioner, Richard Rhodes.
The announcement was made this morning Mr Hyde’s replacement, temporary Chief Constable Bernard Lawson.
Chief Constable Lawson said: “I have concluded that whilst Mr Hyde’s behaviour did fall short of what the police service and the public should demand from a senior public servant, I do believe that in his role as deputy chief constable, Mr Hyde should return to work, albeit under a detailed plan to ensure lessons are learnt from what has been identified during the investigation.
“Mr Hyde has agreed that he has learnt a great deal from the experience and accepts the recommended management advice.
“Mr Hyde will have a managed return to the constabulary on September 9, 2013, when he will initially be responsible for a range of strategic IT developments for the force, for which he is nationally recognised.
“He has indicated his intention to retire with effect from December 31, 2013.”
Last week Mr Rhodes revealed for the first time that Mr Hyde was suspended for showing a ‘lack of professionalism’ by completing a charity swim in ‘swimming attire’ and tweeting about ‘eating pies’ while on duty, among other things.
The details were revealed following an independent investigation into Mr Hyde by South Wales Police, who also made several recommendations to the wider Cumbria force.
Chief Constable Lawson continued: “Whilst much of the media and social media attention has been directed towards Mr Hyde’s situation, it’s important for me to stress that as a constabulary, we will look very closely at the recommendations relating to us as an organisation.
“I do not believe that the issues identified are widespread across the force as a great deal of work has already taken place to revise policies and tighten up procedures, but clearly we will make improvements where we need to.
“Cumbria has a great constabulary with a proud reputation for excellence and I know that with the dedication and commitment that I see every day from police officers and staff, we will continue to strive to deliver first rate policing services for all of our communities.”
Mr Hyde had been filling in as ‘temporary’ chief constable before he was suspended last September and will return until the end of the year as deputy chief constable.
Mr Hyde added: “This has been a very difficult time for me and my family.
“I am pleased that this has been brought to an end by Bernard Lawson and that I can return to an important role as deputy chief constable and look forward to working with him and the officers and staff of the constabulary.
“I am glad that a clear line has been drawn under the last 12 months and that I can continue contributing to policing and making our society safer as I have done for nearly 30 years.
“Although I could have retired on August 31 after 30 years of service I aim to leave the constabulary by the end of December.
“I have always worked hard for the people of Cumbria and have made a significant contribution to policing in the past and I hope, and expect, this to continue in the future.”
Mr Rhodes said: “I fully support the decision of temporary chief constable, Bernard Lawson, to invite Mr Hyde back to Cumbria Constabulary as his deputy until Mr Hyde's retirement in December."
Comments are closed on this article.