Residents evacuated after 'serious' fire in Kendal flat

First published in News

AROUND 10 elderly residents were evacuated from a Kendal building in the early hours of the morning after a ‘serious’ fire in a second floor flat.

Two fire engines from Kendal and one from Staveley were called to the incident on Blackhall Road just after 1am today.

The fire was caused by an electrical appliance fault in the lounge of one of the flats, where the occupant made an attempt to extinguish it themselves before the building’s fire alarm system activated.

The building’s warden persuaded the occupant to leave the flat unharmed and the fire was contained to one property.

Station Manager Paul Dorrington said that as some smoke had escaped the flat and was affecting the rest of the building, some of the residents were evacuated and two were assessed for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

Two breathing apparatus wearers used extinguishers and one main jet to put out the fire and a large industrial fan was used to disperse the smoke.

No-one was hurt during the incident.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree