Electric fire in shop window display mistaken for a real one, says store (From The Westmorland Gazette)
When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Electric fire in shop window display mistaken for a real one, says store
11:09am Saturday 14th December 2013 in News
A SHOP in Milnthorpe displaying a new electric fire range in its front window - almost saw firefighters called out.
Clocktower Electrics on Beetham Road was displaying a fire which uses 3D 'flames' and gives off real mist for a smoking effect.
Tom Harvey, the owner of the electrical retailer, says a passing member of the public mistook it for a real one and ran in to report it.
Mr Harvey said: "This is the first time anybody has said they thought it was a real fire in the window. In some ways we are lucky as I know of another store in Scotland where a customer actually called the fire brigade as they were so convinced it was a real fire."
Mr Harvey said the incident related to a new product called the Dimplex 'Opti-myst' Westbrook, which its manufacturers say uses a 'world first 3D effect for fires.'
Karen Trewick, for Dimplex, said: “It uses ultrasonic technology to break up water from an internal reservoir, creating a fine mist which is illuminated to create the ‘flames’ and ‘smoke’.
“It’s a truly revolutionary effect and I’m not surprised it’s been mistaken for a real fire."
The company said that in Nairn, Scotland, a passer-by called 999 to report a ‘fire’ after seeing ‘flames’ and ‘smoke’ - glowing in the window of a Scottish Hydro Electric when the store was closed.
Comments are closed on this article.