RESIDENTS in South Lakeland are being offered the opportunity to help shape ‘the future of local communities’.
South Lakeland District Council plans to hold several public consultation events before suggestions from local people will be used to help prepare ‘development briefs’ for areas across the district.
“This is a way that residents of South Lakeland can get involved and have their say on the development of these significant sites,” said SLDC’s Councillor Jonathan Brook.
“We welcome suggestions on important issues such as accessibility, landscaping, design and site layout.
“Such local knowledge and information will help to shape the look and feel of these important sites.”
The Development Briefs, which are being prepared following the recent adoption of the Local Plan and its Land Allocations document, will be taken into account when councillors are considering planning applications.
The briefs will also inform developers and other interested groups of the constraints and opportunities presented by each site.
At consultation, between February 17 and March 31, ideas will be welcomed regarding issues such as landscaping, open space, access and design principles.
The public participation events, focussing on specific areas, will be held as follows:
* February 25 - Cross-a-Moor, at Swarthmoor - to be discussed on February 25 at the football club on Park Road, Swarthmoor
* February 27 - Kendal Parks - to be discussed at The Heron Pub, Heron Hill, Kendal
* March 3 - the south and east of Milnthorpe - to be discussed at the Methodist Church Hall, Milnthorpe
* March 6 - the south of Underbarrow Road - to be discussed at the Town Hall Chamber at Kendal Town Hall
* March 10 - Scroggs Wood - to be considered at the Georgian Room at Kendal Town Hall
* March 12 - north of Kendal - to be discussed at Lunesdale Hall, Bective Road, Kirkby Lonsdale
* March 17 - Croftlands - to be considered at the Coronation Hall, Ulverston
* March 20 - Stainbank Green - to be discussed at the Assembly Room, Kendal Town Hall
Residents can drop in and officers will be on hand to discuss issues and options between 11am and 7pm on each of the days.
For more information visit www.southlakeland.gov.uk/development-briefs