Couple in lucky escape after house fire near Windermere

The Westmorland Gazette: Windermere house fire extinguished by two crews Windermere house fire extinguished by two crews

A TROUTBECK couple had a lucky escape after their house caught fire this morning (March 15).

Fire crews from Windermere and Ambleside were called out at 6.10am to the fire on Longmire Road, in Troutbeck, near Windermere.

A decorative oak lintel by a wood burning stove on the ground floor of the house got slowly hotter until it started to smoulder, causing the fire.
 

The couple who own the property were inside and alerted Cumbria Fire and Rescue after waking up to the smell of smoke.

MORE TOP STORIES:

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet and small hand tools to extinguish the fire.

Martin Holroyd, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service’s Watch Manager, said: “No one was hurt but there's always the potential for these fires to be worse.

“Fortunately there wasn’t too much damage, just smoke logging of the property.

"We want to highlight the importance of having working smoke alarms in all properties, especially in rural locations.”

The two crews were on the scene for one and a half hours.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree