When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
UPDATE: Kendal hairdressing salon cleared of smoke and fire
5:40pm Friday 11th April 2014 in News
A KENDAL hairdressing salon has been cleared of smoke and fire after a blaze in the town centre today.
Three fire engines attended the fire at Jo and Cass hair salon on Highgate.
Sean Hevey, station manager at Kendal Fire Station, said the fire was caused by an electrical fault with a washer dryer inthe basement, believed to be in relation to a tumble drier.
"There is smoke and heat damage to the basement and severe smoke damage on the first and second floors."
The smoke did initially spread to the neighbouring buildings but Mr Hevey said no other businesses had been affected.
Mr Hevey, whose crew had to use a pressure ventilation system to clear the smoke, praised the actions of those working in the Jo and Cass hair salon at the time of the incident.
He said: "We do get fires caused by electrical faults but they did the right thing. They made sure they got all the customers and staff out quickly and safely."
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Schools lose 189 years of experience
- Blue-green algae detected in Windermere
- Devil's Bridge tombstoners will be prosecuted, say police
- Monkey on the loose in Furness
Comments are closed on this article.