THREE fire engines were called to ‘a chemical incident’ at Westmorland General Hospital today (May 13) after a drugs fridge in the day centre started leaking.
Two engines from Kendal and one from Barrow attended the report of ‘a strong smell of ammonia’ at around 9.40am.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and gas tight suits investigated and found that the engineering behind a drugs fridge was faulty.
The drugs were not contaminated, and Watch Manager Phil Stannet said crews used natural ventilation to clear the smell and removed the fridge to a safe location.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- GALLERY: Readers pictured with their mums on Mothers' Day
- New sporting challenge for young people heads to the Lake District
- Here's the new-look pound coin you could start to see from today
- Online poll: Ahead of Article 50 notification triggering Brexit, would you vote to leave or remain in the European Union?