Blaze at Windermere hotel believed to have started in laundry room, say firefighters

Blaze at Windermere hotel believed to have started in laundry room, say firefighters

Picture by Ben Berry.

Queen's Head Hotel after the fire.

Queen's Head Hotel after the fire.

UPDATE: Blaze at Windermere hotel believed to have started in laundry room, say firefighters

UPDATE: Blaze at Windermere hotel believed to have started in laundry room, say firefighters

First published in News
Last updated

FIREFIGHTERS are waiting to be given the all-clear to begin investigating the blaze which tore through a listed Windermere hotel.

Fire crews at the Queen's Head hotel, Troutbeck, say they believe the blaze was started by an electrical fault in the laundry room of the hotel - and will re-enter the building as soon as it has been declared safe to begin investigations.

"I've been here all night and now we're waiting to be told we can go back inside," explained Sean Hevey, station manager at Kendal.

"The bar area is still intact but everything else is totally destroyed.

"It's a mess inside."

Crews were called out at around 9.30pm yesterday and were still 'damping down' at around 7am this morning.

Firefighters attended from Kendal, Windermere, Ambleside, Coniston, Milnthorpe, Staveley, Patterdale, Ulverston, Penrith and Barrow.

A total of 57 men were fighting the fire at its peak, while 11 engines were in attendance including a water bowser and aerial appliance.

By this morning attendance had reduced to two fire engines from Ambleside and Windermere.

The 17th century hotel is a listed building.

District councillor, Coun Ben Berry, said 'you wouldn't wish it on anyone'.

"It's not good at all," he said.

"The whole place is a goner, and it's been there for 100 years or more.

"It's so sad."

All staff and guests were evacuated from the property, totalling around 50 people.

It is believed they were given beds at neighbouring hotels, including The Mortal Man.

"We provided them with rooms for nothing," explained landlady, Kate Barkes.

"There were five couples in total and it was just awful.

"One guy had no socks, no shoes, he was just hugging a cushion and he looked terrified. They were all very spaced out.

"Obviously they followed evacuation procedures like they should, but it meant they'd all left their keys and wallets and everything behind."

She added: "We've got our beer festival on today but there's a very sombre mood."

She explained that the community rallied round to help, with one Troutbeck family carrying fire crews to the river on quad bikes, to get more water.

Last night local people took to Twitter to express their sadness.

Joanne Allen wrote: "Just seen my fave pub, Queens Head, burn down. Such a massive shame. Such a wonderful place with so many memories."

Windermere Town Coun Bill Smith said: "Dreadful news about the fire at The Queens Head Hotel in Troutbeck, hoping all safe."

Nobody was injured.

The A592 to Ullswater was closed for several hours but police have now confirmed it has re-opened.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:18am Sat 7 Jun 14

Baycan says...

Deeply saddened by the fire at the Queens happy no injuries but so sad we have had so many happy memories there !!!!
Deeply saddened by the fire at the Queens happy no injuries but so sad we have had so many happy memories there !!!! Baycan
  • Score: 13

6:45pm Sat 7 Jun 14

churchy66 says...

How very sad - best wishes to all those who were involved in fighting the fire, a tragic thing to happen to such a historic building
How very sad - best wishes to all those who were involved in fighting the fire, a tragic thing to happen to such a historic building churchy66
  • Score: 7

12:04pm Tue 10 Jun 14

Ben Berry says...

*hundreds of years.

Very glad to hear in the updated story that it will rise from the ashes.
*hundreds of years. Very glad to hear in the updated story that it will rise from the ashes. Ben Berry
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree