A MAN had to be airlifted to hospital from Brought after suffering 18 per cent burns to his body.
The 28-year-old set himself alight after pouring fuel on a bonfire, according to a spokeswoman for the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS).
The service was called at 3.23pm yesterday.
The man suffered severe injuries to his head, neck and arm in the incident.
He had second degree burns to his forearms and third degree burns to his face.
He was treated by an aircrew doctor and paramedics before being flown to the James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough, by the Great North Air Ambulance Service.
A spokeswoman for the NWAS reiterated advice that accelerants should not be poured on bonfires or barbecues.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Kendal man given community order for punching manager at Indian restaurant
- BOOK REVIEW: Show Me Colour by Rosalind Gibb, £8
- NOSTALGIA: where is this building?
- Holocaust survivor visiting Kendal says he was 'reborn' in South Lakeland