TWO late goals condemned Kendal Town to defeat in their final game of pre-season as Evo Stik Premier Division Skelmersdale United came away from Parkside Road 3-2 victors.

Prolific Mark Jackson gave the Mintcakes a half-time lead but former Kendal hitman and fan favourite Danny Mitchley levelled from the penalty spot.

Kendal skipper Warren Beattie restored parity with a spot kick of his own before Peter Wylie and Kenny Strickland gave Skelmersdale the win with just five minutes left on the clock.

The home side started brightly and were rewarded for their early pressure after just ten minutes.

Right-back Kieran Walmsley delivered a dangerous right-footed corner which caused confusion in the penalty box.

The ball fell at the feet of Jackson who composed himself, took a touch and fired left-footed into the top corner, beating visiting goalkeeper Martin Fearon all ends up.

Ricky Mercer thought he had doubled the lead after 33 minutes but the goal was disallowed after referee Alex Beckett judged there was a foul in the box before Mercer headed home.

Debutant Samberg was first called into action moments later when he tipped a Conor McCarthy volley around the post.

A dominant Kendal left the pitch at half-time with a one goal advantage over their rivals, who just missed out on the play-offs last season and will undoubtedly have their eyes firmly set on promotion.

Kieron Pickup, returning to the side from a spell on the sidelines, had a half chance before Mitchley fired a snapshot wide after 56 minutes.

Minutes after and Skelmersdale found themselves level.

Samberg played the ball out to Beattie who miscontrolled allowing Mitchley to nip in.

The Kendal captain hauled down Mitchley in the 18 yard box who duly converted the penalty.

Samberg made another acrobatic save, flicking the ball onto the crossbar from a driving Josh Sumner volley.

The introduction of pacy winger Isaac Kusaloka proved instant dividends for Kendal.

Kusaloka was played in over the top by Mike Rushton and was brought down by on rushing goalkeeper Fearon.

Beattie stepped up and made no mistake with the penalty sending the keeper the wrong way.

Few chances followed but the game was turned on its head on the 85 minute mark with two quickfire goals.

Substitute Curtis Haley was robbed of possession in midfield by Wylie who drove on and side-footed into the net.

Skelmersdale took the lead one minute later when Strickland's free kick bounced just in front of keeper Samberg and into the net to give the away side an unlikely victory.