Cumbria roads blackspot warning

Cumbria roads blackspot warning

Cumbria roads blackspot warning

First published in News

CUMBRIA and Lancashire are among the worst counties in the country for the number of people killed or seriously injured on their roads.

Lancashire sat at the bottom of the table while Cumbria was found to have performed third worst, when figures for 2013 were compared with the previous year.

Last year Lancashire had 72 more serious incidents, while Cumbria’s roads saw an increase of 43 incidents.

Simon Best, chief executive of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, which pulled together the figures, said: “Figures will always vary from year to year but the wide variations do suggest that some councils are much better at putting measures in place that are having a marked difference in reducing the numbers of deaths and serious injuries on their roads.

“As the economy improves, spending on road safety must be seen as a priority across the whole of the UK with clear strategies in place to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our roads. Even one death or injured person on our roads is one too many.”

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:15pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Grumpyoldbiker says...

Remove all the airbags from cars and mount a 3" spike on the steering wheel. It might make drivers concentrate on what they are doing and what they supposedly are in control of. On the way to work this morning I had another idiot pull out of a junction in front of me. It is a big bike, headlight on and I wear hi-viz.
Remove all the airbags from cars and mount a 3" spike on the steering wheel. It might make drivers concentrate on what they are doing and what they supposedly are in control of. On the way to work this morning I had another idiot pull out of a junction in front of me. It is a big bike, headlight on and I wear hi-viz. Grumpyoldbiker
  • Score: 2

8:44pm Wed 13 Aug 14

philipio says...

There appears to be no deterrent on the roads nowadays , especially in Lancashire. No Police actually Police the Motorways due to 'cut backs'. The Police only go to incidents on the M6 only IF a Motorway trained Officer is on duty!!
Minimum Policing standards I am informed are 6 Officers for Lancaster, Morecambe and the Lune Valley etc and 15 Officers for the Fylde. That includes Blackpool, Fleetwood etc.
No wonder driving standards are so bad and crime is not being reported and so statistics state it is 'reducing'.
There appears to be no deterrent on the roads nowadays , especially in Lancashire. No Police actually Police the Motorways due to 'cut backs'. The Police only go to incidents on the M6 only IF a Motorway trained Officer is on duty!! Minimum Policing standards I am informed are 6 Officers for Lancaster, Morecambe and the Lune Valley etc and 15 Officers for the Fylde. That includes Blackpool, Fleetwood etc. No wonder driving standards are so bad and crime is not being reported and so statistics state it is 'reducing'. philipio
  • Score: 3

10:05pm Wed 13 Aug 14

TwoHat says...

Grumpyoldbiker wrote:
Remove all the airbags from cars and mount a 3" spike on the steering wheel. It might make drivers concentrate on what they are doing and what they supposedly are in control of. On the way to work this morning I had another idiot pull out of a junction in front of me. It is a big bike, headlight on and I wear hi-viz.
I'd make it a 6" spike, and also have a steel claw under the seat designed to shoot up into the groinal area activated by the now defunct airbag mechanism. Theres no such thing as a road accident, they are always caused by people not concentrating on what they are doing. A vehicle is a lethal weapon, and anyone who doesn't use proper precautions when handling it should face serious consequences, not be cocooned in safety.
(rant over)
[quote][p][bold]Grumpyoldbiker[/bold] wrote: Remove all the airbags from cars and mount a 3" spike on the steering wheel. It might make drivers concentrate on what they are doing and what they supposedly are in control of. On the way to work this morning I had another idiot pull out of a junction in front of me. It is a big bike, headlight on and I wear hi-viz.[/p][/quote]I'd make it a 6" spike, and also have a steel claw under the seat designed to shoot up into the groinal area activated by the now defunct airbag mechanism. Theres no such thing as a road accident, they are always caused by people not concentrating on what they are doing. A vehicle is a lethal weapon, and anyone who doesn't use proper precautions when handling it should face serious consequences, not be cocooned in safety. (rant over) TwoHat
  • Score: 0

10:21pm Wed 13 Aug 14

kendal brat says...

At least in Cumbria there are always motorway and road policing trained officers on duty. Funding reduction has necessarily reduced their numbers and increased the range of their duties, so there is little doubt that their reduced ability to referee the road will have a knock on impact on attitudes towards road safety.
The datasets for individual counties are mercifully small, hence statistically unreliable as an indicator of progress from one year to the next.
I'm always a little suspicious of 'serious injury' data, because the level of injury is subjective and down to individual interpretation. This makes it easier for government targets to be met. Road fatality, on the other hand, while involving smaller numbers, is not at all subjective, and is therefore a better barometer of trend reduction, although with a small dataset, it must be looked at in the longer term.
In the case of Cumbria, road fatalities were 27 this year, compared with 30 last year, and if you go back to 2006, the figure was 60, so it could be argued that Cumbria's road safety figures stand up pretty well.
At least in Cumbria there are always motorway and road policing trained officers on duty. Funding reduction has necessarily reduced their numbers and increased the range of their duties, so there is little doubt that their reduced ability to referee the road will have a knock on impact on attitudes towards road safety. The datasets for individual counties are mercifully small, hence statistically unreliable as an indicator of progress from one year to the next. I'm always a little suspicious of 'serious injury' data, because the level of injury is subjective and down to individual interpretation. This makes it easier for government targets to be met. Road fatality, on the other hand, while involving smaller numbers, is not at all subjective, and is therefore a better barometer of trend reduction, although with a small dataset, it must be looked at in the longer term. In the case of Cumbria, road fatalities were 27 this year, compared with 30 last year, and if you go back to 2006, the figure was 60, so it could be argued that Cumbria's road safety figures stand up pretty well. kendal brat
  • Score: 2

4:47pm Thu 14 Aug 14

greenbell says...

TwoHat wrote:
Grumpyoldbiker wrote:
Remove all the airbags from cars and mount a 3" spike on the steering wheel. It might make drivers concentrate on what they are doing and what they supposedly are in control of. On the way to work this morning I had another idiot pull out of a junction in front of me. It is a big bike, headlight on and I wear hi-viz.
I'd make it a 6" spike, and also have a steel claw under the seat designed to shoot up into the groinal area activated by the now defunct airbag mechanism. Theres no such thing as a road accident, they are always caused by people not concentrating on what they are doing. A vehicle is a lethal weapon, and anyone who doesn't use proper precautions when handling it should face serious consequences, not be cocooned in safety.
(rant over)
I have to agree with you two. The average driver just does not realise the lethal weapon they have in their hands and if they are Audi or BM drivers they have had their brains removed at the time of purchase so no chance there.
[quote][p][bold]TwoHat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpyoldbiker[/bold] wrote: Remove all the airbags from cars and mount a 3" spike on the steering wheel. It might make drivers concentrate on what they are doing and what they supposedly are in control of. On the way to work this morning I had another idiot pull out of a junction in front of me. It is a big bike, headlight on and I wear hi-viz.[/p][/quote]I'd make it a 6" spike, and also have a steel claw under the seat designed to shoot up into the groinal area activated by the now defunct airbag mechanism. Theres no such thing as a road accident, they are always caused by people not concentrating on what they are doing. A vehicle is a lethal weapon, and anyone who doesn't use proper precautions when handling it should face serious consequences, not be cocooned in safety. (rant over)[/p][/quote]I have to agree with you two. The average driver just does not realise the lethal weapon they have in their hands and if they are Audi or BM drivers they have had their brains removed at the time of purchase so no chance there. greenbell
  • Score: 0

6:04pm Thu 14 Aug 14

kendal brat says...

greenbell wrote:
TwoHat wrote:
Grumpyoldbiker wrote:
Remove all the airbags from cars and mount a 3" spike on the steering wheel. It might make drivers concentrate on what they are doing and what they supposedly are in control of. On the way to work this morning I had another idiot pull out of a junction in front of me. It is a big bike, headlight on and I wear hi-viz.
I'd make it a 6" spike, and also have a steel claw under the seat designed to shoot up into the groinal area activated by the now defunct airbag mechanism. Theres no such thing as a road accident, they are always caused by people not concentrating on what they are doing. A vehicle is a lethal weapon, and anyone who doesn't use proper precautions when handling it should face serious consequences, not be cocooned in safety.
(rant over)
I have to agree with you two. The average driver just does not realise the lethal weapon they have in their hands and if they are Audi or BM drivers they have had their brains removed at the time of purchase so no chance there.
greenbell wrote:
"I have to agree with you two. The average driver just does not realise the lethal weapon they have in their hands"

The 'average driver' probably does realise that they are driving a 'lethal weapon'. There only needs to be a very small minority of idiot drivers to make the roads much less safe for themselves and for us.

I cycle a lot, and to be fair, the vast majority of motorists are extremely courteous and considerate. But it only takes 1 in every 50 motorists to not be concentrating, or not be considerate, to make me feel a lot less safe on the road. Road safety needs to target the attitudes or the ignorance of this small proportion of drivers, rather than level blame and guilt on the 'average driver'.
[quote][p][bold]greenbell[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TwoHat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpyoldbiker[/bold] wrote: Remove all the airbags from cars and mount a 3" spike on the steering wheel. It might make drivers concentrate on what they are doing and what they supposedly are in control of. On the way to work this morning I had another idiot pull out of a junction in front of me. It is a big bike, headlight on and I wear hi-viz.[/p][/quote]I'd make it a 6" spike, and also have a steel claw under the seat designed to shoot up into the groinal area activated by the now defunct airbag mechanism. Theres no such thing as a road accident, they are always caused by people not concentrating on what they are doing. A vehicle is a lethal weapon, and anyone who doesn't use proper precautions when handling it should face serious consequences, not be cocooned in safety. (rant over)[/p][/quote]I have to agree with you two. The average driver just does not realise the lethal weapon they have in their hands and if they are Audi or BM drivers they have had their brains removed at the time of purchase so no chance there.[/p][/quote]greenbell wrote: "I have to agree with you two. The average driver just does not realise the lethal weapon they have in their hands" The 'average driver' probably does realise that they are driving a 'lethal weapon'. There only needs to be a very small minority of idiot drivers to make the roads much less safe for themselves and for us. I cycle a lot, and to be fair, the vast majority of motorists are extremely courteous and considerate. But it only takes 1 in every 50 motorists to not be concentrating, or not be considerate, to make me feel a lot less safe on the road. Road safety needs to target the attitudes or the ignorance of this small proportion of drivers, rather than level blame and guilt on the 'average driver'. kendal brat
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree