AN EXPLOSION at a popular Furness hotel which caused ‘substantial’ damage left one person hospitalised and another two in shock today (September 3).
Firefighters were called out at 1.12pm to Dalton’s Clarence House, on Mount Pleasant, where a build up of gas which ignited and led to a ‘fireball’ tearing through the roof space and damaging the ceiling, doors and windows.
A spokesman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival gas and electric utilities were isolated.
“The hotel was evacuated and the owner is cooperating to bring the hotel up and running.”
Pumps from Barrow and Ulverston attended the scene and Cumbria Police said the North West Ambulance Service was on hand and treated three people for shock.
The Cumbria Fire spokesman said one person was treated for difficulty hearing and shock while another was taken to Furness General Hospital.
A structural engineer from Barrow Borough Council was called to assess the damage and the case has been referred to United Utilities.
The Cumbria Fire spokesman added that other safety precautions would have to be carried out before the hotel was reopened for business.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Parking meters still 'months' away from being introduced in South Lakeland
- Man, 67, with medical problems missing near Kendal
- Benefits fiddle woman escapes prison term
- Cyclist taken to hospital after Kendal crash