'Fireball' rips through Dalton hotel

'Fireball' rips through Dalton hotel

'Fireball' rips through Dalton hotel

First published in News
Last updated

AN EXPLOSION at a popular Furness hotel which caused ‘substantial’ damage left one person hospitalised and another two in shock today (September 3).

Firefighters were called out at 1.12pm to Dalton’s Clarence House, on Mount Pleasant, where a build up of gas which ignited and led to a ‘fireball’ tearing through the roof space and damaging the ceiling, doors and windows.

A spokesman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival gas and electric utilities were isolated.

“The hotel was evacuated and the owner is cooperating to bring the hotel up and running.”

Pumps from Barrow and Ulverston attended the scene and Cumbria Police said the North West Ambulance Service was on hand and treated three people for shock.

The Cumbria Fire spokesman said one person was treated for difficulty hearing and shock while another was taken to Furness General Hospital.

A structural engineer from Barrow Borough Council was called to assess the damage and the case has been referred to United Utilities.

The Cumbria Fire spokesman added that other safety precautions would have to be carried out before the hotel was reopened for business.

MORE TOP STORIES:

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree