TWENTY-five thousand people are expected to line the streets of Kendal for the 47th annual Torchlight Carnival.

Organisers say the Friday night outdoor spectacular will contain around 70 groups processing through the town all entering into the spirit of the Fairy Tales theme.


Several primary schools are putting in floats and the Pied Piper of Hamlin will feature in the parade. The theme was chosen by children from Vicarage Park and Castle Park primary schools.

Cllr Chris Hogg, who working with Rinteln twinning, helped to fund the inclusion of the Pied Piper, said that given the carnival's theme he thought he would be the ideal addition to proceedings.

"It's fantastic," he said. "We have the Pied Piper, a genuine international living legend, leading this year's Torchlight parade. I'm delighted to have played a part in him coming here to strengthen our links with German friends in Rinteln."

The torchlight parade takes place on the evening of September 16 and the following day there will be a street party in the town centre with live music, dance performances, food and free creative workshops.

Event director and team leader Craig Russell said: “It’s one of Kendal’s biggest events, and it’s something very different. It brings the town together.

"It’s always been a very successful event, and we’re expecting the same this year.”

Donation buckets will be circulating at the event with 80 per cent of proceeds going towards the carnival’s four partner charities, which will announced in the lead up to the event. The other 20 per cent will go towards ensuring the future of the carnival.

Organisers are still looking for volunteers to take part in the street party. Anyone interested can visit their stall in the Westmorland Shopping Centre from 10am-4pm for more information.

* Torchlight road closures, September 15 from 6.30pm to 11pm: Burton Road at Helme Chase, Romney Road at Ford Terrace, Milnthorpe Road at Glebe Road, Gillinggate at Anchorite Fields, All Hallows at Low Fellside, Library Road at the Library, Stricklandgate at Busher Walk, Sandes Avenue at Victoria Bridge, Stramongate Bridge at the Riverside Hotel, Parkside Road - access only from Valley Drive to Lound Road.

Once the roads are closed no vehicles will be able to enter or leave the closure boundary. If you need to drive out of the town centre after 6.30pm then you will need to make plans to park outside the closures.

Visit for more information about the carnival and to see the procession route.