KENDAL Town slipped to a 2-0 home defeat to Buxton today, Saturday, as a cloud hung over the Lakeland Radio Stadium.

The sun was shining but news of manager Lee Ashcroft's three month ban shrouded the rays and a rare poor performance saw Town lose at home for the first time in the league since February 21, 2009.

Goals from Kieran Lugsden and Lee Morris gave the visitors three well deserved points.

The visitors started brighter and should have taken the lead in the first minute when a Scott Maxfield header bounced off the crossbar.

Just four minutes later you would have bet your life on Lugsden scoring after being put through but his snap shot went just wide of David Newnes' goal.

Town took time to get going and didn't have a real chance until the 20-minute mark.

A ball into the box by Alex Taylor set Andy Bell on his way but a last ditch tackle by Steve Ridley saw the ball cleared.

In a dour first half there were few chances, but Buxton were commanding, cutting out through balls and collecting loose balls upfield.

The sides went in 0-0 at the break and the tempo was much quicker afterwards, both teams clearly told to raise their games.

Seven minutes into the second half, Lugsden opened the scoring from a set piece.

After Christian Miller was fouled on the right flank, Maxfield sent a looping ball into the box which Lugsden headed home unmarked.

Town came into the game and looked threatening but failed to pressure the goal of visiting keeper Scott Hartley until the 65th minute.

Dave Foster, who had replaced Danny Wisdom up front, hit a shot just wide of the mark after good link up play from Taylor, Bell and Osman.

And five minutes later a Bell effort at the near post was stopped by Hartley after Bell had run into the box on the right.

Buxton pushed again though and a new wave of pressure brought their second goal, putting them out of sight of a Town side who lacked the finishing touch.

A ball across goal from the left wing was met by Lee Morris who headed home on 81 minutes.

Tempers flared late on for the second game running and Taylor picked up a booking after reacting to a push in the face from Lugsden.

But the goals were not coming for Kendal who lost at home for the first time this season in the league, ahead of a tricky week for the Parkside Road outfit.

It is expected Ian Kilford will take charge of the club in Ashcroft's absence, starting against Guiseley in Yorkshire on Tuesday night.

HOW THEY RATED: David Newnes 7, Keiran Walmsley 7, Paul Byrne 7, James Connolly 7, Glenn Steel 7, Callum Warburton 7 (rep George Melling 79 mins), Carl Osman 7, Andy Bell 7, Alex Taylor 7, Ian Kilford 7 (rep Gary Stopforth 7 45 mins), Danny Wisdom 7 (rep Dave Foster 54 mins).

STAR MAN: Paul Byrne: stood firm in defence and made some good efforts to get up field and get Town back into the match.

Att: 250.