When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Kendal Torchlight Carnival 'definitely' on in 2013
KENDAL Torchlight Carnival will ‘definitely’ go ahead next year, organisers have revealed.
A question mark was hanging over its future after this year’s parade was cancelled for the first time in 42 years because of funding shortfalls and a lack of volunteers to marshal the event safely.
But the organising committee has told the Gazette the ‘biggest and best’ Torchlight will take place on Friday, September 13, 2013.
Kendal town councillors agreed to allocate £10,000 towards the 2013 carnival at a recent meeting.
Committee chairman Carole Knowles said the committee had been strengthened by the addition of new members and its financial position was ‘stronger’.
“We are bringing the carnival back to the streets of Kendal,” said Mrs Knowles.
“The £10,000 from Kendal Town Council is a springboard. We are in talks with a number of other people.
“We have got three new committee members and we are looking at marshalling from a different angle.
“We are confident we will be able to secure the neccesary amount.”
Although the exact cost changes from year-to-year, organisers need to secure a minimum of £20,000 to stage the spectacle.
This is to book certain entries, cover the cost of town centre road closures and pay for licenses.
Mrs Knowles added: “Because of the disappointment this year, we want to be back on the streets with the biggest and best Torchlight yet.”
Mayor of Kendal John Willshaw welcomed the announcement and said he had volunteered to be a marshal on the night.
“I’m really pleased to hear it’s going ahead; we don’t want to lose community events like this,” said Coun Willshaw.
“I’m also pleased that the town council was able to show the event support - the £10,000 is a solid base for the committee to work on - but Torchlight needs as many people as possible to help.
“It’s very important for Kendal that this sort of event goes ahead.”
Meanwhile, a separate group of volunteers - known as Keep The Flame - still hopes to see the procession go ahead this year.
Members are continuing their efforts to stage ‘an event’ in the town on October 19.