When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Grange house fire demonstrates need for smoke alarms
12:53pm Saturday 6th October 2012 in News
FIREFIGHTERS re-enforced the importance of working smoke alarms after attending a Grange house fire last night.
Crews from Grange and Milnthorpe arrived at the Hampsfell Road house at around 9.46pm, to find an en-suite bathroom alight and a property filled with smoke.
Watch manager Sean Hevey said: “Luckily the female occupier of the house was ok, and only suffered slight smoke inhalation.
“But it could have been a lot worse. There was no smoke alarm in the house and the owner was only notified by the dog barking.
“It was in the bathroom adjoining to her bedroom, so it was lucky it wasn’t later. There was a lof of toxic smoke due to all the plastics in the room.
“It re-enforces the importance of having working smoke detectors in houses, because in this case it would have allowed firefighters to have responded a lot quicker.”