Girl hospitalised after drinking cocktail containing liquid nitrogen in Lancaster

AN investigation is underway after an 18-year-old girl was taken ill during a night out in Lancaster city centre.

The girl, of Heysham, had been out with friends on Thursday evening and reported feeling breathless after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

She then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm.

There she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove her stomach.

She is currently in a serious but stable condition.

Lancashire Police continues to work closely with partner agencies and the licensed premises involved.

A Lancashire Police spokesperson said: "The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.

"The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen."

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:24pm Sat 6 Oct 12

actionjaxon666 says...

They REMOVED HER STOMACH? Or just part of it? Christ.

Never realised liquid nitrogen was so readily available. So bars can just buy this stuff as easily as anything else to make trendy drinks?!
They REMOVED HER STOMACH? Or just part of it? Christ. Never realised liquid nitrogen was so readily available. So bars can just buy this stuff as easily as anything else to make trendy drinks?! actionjaxon666
  • Score: 0

7:05pm Sat 6 Oct 12

zaney5 says...

Words fail me. Whats next? Gin & Sulphuric Acid?
Words fail me. Whats next? Gin & Sulphuric Acid? zaney5
  • Score: 0

9:51am Mon 8 Oct 12

nixon1 says...

I can't believe this has been allowed.....Was she the first person to have the drink or has it been available for a while and something went wrong?

Either way i hope she makes a full recovery......I'd also hope she is involving the courts to stop this from happening again and recieving compensation for this life changing event.
I can't believe this has been allowed.....Was she the first person to have the drink or has it been available for a while and something went wrong? Either way i hope she makes a full recovery......I'd also hope she is involving the courts to stop this from happening again and recieving compensation for this life changing event. nixon1
  • Score: 0

6:16pm Mon 8 Oct 12

Ben Berry says...

nixon1 wrote:
I can't believe this has been allowed.....Was she the first person to have the drink or has it been available for a while and something went wrong?

Either way i hope she makes a full recovery......I'd also hope she is involving the courts to stop this from happening again and recieving compensation for this life changing event.
Pretty common thing tbh.

Something onviously went bad with this one! :-(
[quote][p][bold]nixon1[/bold] wrote: I can't believe this has been allowed.....Was she the first person to have the drink or has it been available for a while and something went wrong? Either way i hope she makes a full recovery......I'd also hope she is involving the courts to stop this from happening again and recieving compensation for this life changing event.[/p][/quote]Pretty common thing tbh. Something onviously went bad with this one! :-( Ben Berry
  • Score: 0

11:57am Tue 9 Oct 12

nixon1 says...

I've heard now that it is becoming increasingly common and usually the drink is allowed to settle allowing the liquid nitrogen to evaporate but in this case it seems it was still in liquid from when drank.
I've heard now that it is becoming increasingly common and usually the drink is allowed to settle allowing the liquid nitrogen to evaporate but in this case it seems it was still in liquid from when drank. nixon1
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree