When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Lake alert as algae blooms are found
5:04pm Tuesday 16th October 2012 in News
EVIDENCE of toxic blue-green algal blooms have been found in Windermere.
The Environment Agency has informed South Lakeland District Council that it has been found at Harrow Slack.
The agency says that blue green algae blooms should be treated with caution and contact should be avoided as skin rashes and illness may occur if the water is swallowed.
Farmers and pet owners should also prevent livestock and animals coming into contact or drinking the affected water, as it can sometimes prove fatal for animals.
Coun Clare Feeney-Johnson, SLDC’s portfolio holder for the Eenvironment, said: “Blue green algae can potentially make people feel quite ill, even by just swimming in it. “We want people to be aware of the affects and are asking people to be extra vigilant when using the lakes and rivers for recreational purposes.
“The public should observe any notices near affected areas and avoid contact or drinking the water.”
Many waters are vulnerable to problems with blue green algae, typically between June and November. All blue green algae blooms should be assumed to be toxic. They vary in colour from discoloured green to blue-green, greenish brown or reddish brown.
Further information about blue-green algae can be found on the EA website at www.environment-agency.gov.uk