Kendal shop faces uncertain future

THE future of a Kendal shop is in doubt after the owners admitted it is set to enter administration.

The video game company Game, which has a branch in Westmorland Shopping Centre, has seen its business eroded by competition from online retailers.

Trading in its shares was also suspended yesterday ‘pending clarification of the company’s financial position’.

Ben Berry, who shops at the Kendal shop, said: “Lots of local hard working independent retailers are struggling and going out of business on our high streets, so it’s all the more showing when a massive 1400-shop company starts to crumble.”

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:28pm Wed 21 Mar 12

Lakeuk says...

Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online
Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online Lakeuk
  • Score: 0

9:34pm Wed 21 Mar 12

Ben Berry says...

Lakeuk wrote:
Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online
Thats it.

60% of my purchases from GAME in the last 12 months have been through their online store. Im being honest when i say i used to shop there more when i got 30 mins free parking at WSC.

Nip to Subway, eat, look round GAME for 5 mins, out before I had to pay.
[quote][p][bold]Lakeuk[/bold] wrote: Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online[/p][/quote]Thats it. 60% of my purchases from GAME in the last 12 months have been through their online store. Im being honest when i say i used to shop there more when i got 30 mins free parking at WSC. Nip to Subway, eat, look round GAME for 5 mins, out before I had to pay. Ben Berry
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Fri 23 Mar 12

motherof2 says...

How many other high street names are going to fold with in the next year? Its the staff i feel sorry for.
How many other high street names are going to fold with in the next year? Its the staff i feel sorry for. motherof2
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Fri 23 Mar 12

motherof2 says...

How many other high street names are going to fold with in the next year? Its the staff i feel sorry for.
How many other high street names are going to fold with in the next year? Its the staff i feel sorry for. motherof2
  • Score: 0

7:44pm Fri 23 Mar 12

onelocal says...

Ben Berry wrote:
Lakeuk wrote:
Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online
Thats it.

60% of my purchases from GAME in the last 12 months have been through their online store. Im being honest when i say i used to shop there more when i got 30 mins free parking at WSC.

Nip to Subway, eat, look round GAME for 5 mins, out before I had to pay.
Nice to see our local councillor supporting local business and SLDC parking facilities. Some of your constituents can't nip in and out in 30 minutes
[quote][p][bold]Ben Berry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lakeuk[/bold] wrote: Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online[/p][/quote]Thats it. 60% of my purchases from GAME in the last 12 months have been through their online store. Im being honest when i say i used to shop there more when i got 30 mins free parking at WSC. Nip to Subway, eat, look round GAME for 5 mins, out before I had to pay.[/p][/quote]Nice to see our local councillor supporting local business and SLDC parking facilities. Some of your constituents can't nip in and out in 30 minutes onelocal
  • Score: 0

10:29pm Fri 23 Mar 12

Ben Berry says...

onelocal wrote:
Ben Berry wrote:
Lakeuk wrote:
Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online
Thats it.

60% of my purchases from GAME in the last 12 months have been through their online store. Im being honest when i say i used to shop there more when i got 30 mins free parking at WSC.

Nip to Subway, eat, look round GAME for 5 mins, out before I had to pay.
Nice to see our local councillor supporting local business and SLDC parking facilities. Some of your constituents can't nip in and out in 30 minutes
Do i sense a hint of sarcasm sir? hehe.

Like most people id much prefer to pay 0 for parking, with less to pay I visited more! So im happy not to prop up the Lib Dem administration with their high charges.

Im at a loss to find a local computer game supplier so unfortunately Im more than happy to go to a national chain that has superb staff and customer service.

Subway is a locally owned franchise. The owner is in there nearly every day.

If you would like more information with regards to my support of Kendal's high street may i refer you to the my Mary Portas pilot town bid which goes live at the end of next week.

Kind regards,
Ben Berry
Windermere
[quote][p][bold]onelocal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ben Berry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lakeuk[/bold] wrote: Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online[/p][/quote]Thats it. 60% of my purchases from GAME in the last 12 months have been through their online store. Im being honest when i say i used to shop there more when i got 30 mins free parking at WSC. Nip to Subway, eat, look round GAME for 5 mins, out before I had to pay.[/p][/quote]Nice to see our local councillor supporting local business and SLDC parking facilities. Some of your constituents can't nip in and out in 30 minutes[/p][/quote]Do i sense a hint of sarcasm sir? hehe. Like most people id much prefer to pay 0 for parking, with less to pay I visited more! So im happy not to prop up the Lib Dem administration with their high charges. Im at a loss to find a local computer game supplier so unfortunately Im more than happy to go to a national chain that has superb staff and customer service. Subway is a locally owned franchise. The owner is in there nearly every day. If you would like more information with regards to my support of Kendal's high street may i refer you to the my Mary Portas pilot town bid which goes live at the end of next week. Kind regards, Ben Berry Windermere Ben Berry
  • Score: 0

7:11am Sat 24 Mar 12

Moonbase says...

Mary Portas.......My A**e......
If you think that's going to work you've more faith than Billy Graham!
Simple,there is no money about.
At 30-40 pounds for a game your asking for trouble.
The pubs are dead and soon after the VAT comes in the chippies will start to close.
Too much greed for years from the fat cats.
Wages have'nt kept pace for 15-20 years whilst utilities,petrol etc has rocketed.......somet
hing has to give and here you have it.
And as daft as sounds,cutting benefits does not help,at least they spend the dosh.
On that note perhaps the powers that be should do a string pole in Last Orders,because that always looks busy.........even in the morning.
Mind how you go!!!!!
Mary Portas.......My A**e...... If you think that's going to work you've more faith than Billy Graham! Simple,there is no money about. At 30-40 pounds for a game your asking for trouble. The pubs are dead and soon after the VAT comes in the chippies will start to close. Too much greed for years from the fat cats. Wages have'nt kept pace for 15-20 years whilst utilities,petrol etc has rocketed.......somet hing has to give and here you have it. And as daft as sounds,cutting benefits does not help,at least they spend the dosh. On that note perhaps the powers that be should do a string pole in Last Orders,because that always looks busy.........even in the morning. Mind how you go!!!!! Moonbase
  • Score: 0

10:52am Sat 24 Mar 12

life cycle too says...

GAME are in trouble nationally - and they will not find help from SLDC, whose sphere of influence is unlikely to help in any way.
It does however illustrate the whole issue of the way our High Streets are changing, and what local councils CAN do to help.

I think most voters seem unaware of how much money is raised from car parking charges.

Last year three car park machines in Bowness were robbed of the takings over just one weekend - £10,000.
If you multiply that sum by the appropriate number of SLDC car parks and busy weekends, you will see just how much money SLDC soaks up from the local economy.

The business rates of course do not go to SLDC.

Most people accept that services cost money, and that a certain level of taxes ar required to pay for them.
It is the leakage in the SLDC collection system that most informed people object to - pointless consultations, needless expenditure on trivial projects, and lack of spending on essential services that is objectionable.

When he oversaw the closure of TICs (and public toilets), Cllr. Graham Vincent said that SLDC is not in the business of serving tourism - yet they are happy to take tourists money from parking!
The Windermere Air Show earned SLDC huge sums in parking charges, and rental of the Glebe - but what did they put into the Airshow?

As peoples spending power reduces, there is less money to go around - and that include car parking - especially where there is no alternative affordable public transport infrastructure.

A family of four can travel between Staveley and Windermere cheaper by taxi than they can by bus!
GAME are in trouble nationally - and they will not find help from SLDC, whose sphere of influence is unlikely to help in any way. It does however illustrate the whole issue of the way our High Streets are changing, and what local councils CAN do to help. I think most voters seem unaware of how much money is raised from car parking charges. Last year three car park machines in Bowness were robbed of the takings over just one weekend - £10,000. If you multiply that sum by the appropriate number of SLDC car parks and busy weekends, you will see just how much money SLDC soaks up from the local economy. The business rates of course do not go to SLDC. Most people accept that services cost money, and that a certain level of taxes ar required to pay for them. It is the leakage in the SLDC collection system that most informed people object to - pointless consultations, needless expenditure on trivial projects, and lack of spending on essential services that is objectionable. When he oversaw the closure of TICs (and public toilets), Cllr. Graham Vincent said that SLDC is not in the business of serving tourism - yet they are happy to take tourists money from parking! The Windermere Air Show earned SLDC huge sums in parking charges, and rental of the Glebe - but what did they put into the Airshow? As peoples spending power reduces, there is less money to go around - and that include car parking - especially where there is no alternative affordable public transport infrastructure. A family of four can travel between Staveley and Windermere cheaper by taxi than they can by bus! life cycle too
  • Score: 0

11:20am Sat 24 Mar 12

onelocal says...

Ben Berry wrote:
onelocal wrote:
Ben Berry wrote:
Lakeuk wrote:
Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online
Thats it.

60% of my purchases from GAME in the last 12 months have been through their online store. Im being honest when i say i used to shop there more when i got 30 mins free parking at WSC.

Nip to Subway, eat, look round GAME for 5 mins, out before I had to pay.
Nice to see our local councillor supporting local business and SLDC parking facilities. Some of your constituents can't nip in and out in 30 minutes
Do i sense a hint of sarcasm sir? hehe.

Like most people id much prefer to pay 0 for parking, with less to pay I visited more! So im happy not to prop up the Lib Dem administration with their high charges.

Im at a loss to find a local computer game supplier so unfortunately Im more than happy to go to a national chain that has superb staff and customer service.

Subway is a locally owned franchise. The owner is in there nearly every day.

If you would like more information with regards to my support of Kendal's high street may i refer you to the my Mary Portas pilot town bid which goes live at the end of next week.

Kind regards,
Ben Berry
Windermere
I suspect a Conservative led council, if we ever see one, would also charge for parking. Someone has to pay, whether its the motorist or the council taxpayer.
£1.20 for an hour is not extortionate, compared with the price of computer games. In fact if you support local retailers and employers such as Booths or M&S, then the first hours parking is free.
Being an elected councillor is not just about opposing the party in power, it's also about supporting the local community in its entirety.
If no one pays for parking, we will have no parking. If no one supports all our retailers, we end up with a town full of fast food outlets and charity shops, not that both don't have a role to play in a thriving community.
[quote][p][bold]Ben Berry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]onelocal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ben Berry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lakeuk[/bold] wrote: Sign of the times, games industry and customers moving towards downloads and buying online[/p][/quote]Thats it. 60% of my purchases from GAME in the last 12 months have been through their online store. Im being honest when i say i used to shop there more when i got 30 mins free parking at WSC. Nip to Subway, eat, look round GAME for 5 mins, out before I had to pay.[/p][/quote]Nice to see our local councillor supporting local business and SLDC parking facilities. Some of your constituents can't nip in and out in 30 minutes[/p][/quote]Do i sense a hint of sarcasm sir? hehe. Like most people id much prefer to pay 0 for parking, with less to pay I visited more! So im happy not to prop up the Lib Dem administration with their high charges. Im at a loss to find a local computer game supplier so unfortunately Im more than happy to go to a national chain that has superb staff and customer service. Subway is a locally owned franchise. The owner is in there nearly every day. If you would like more information with regards to my support of Kendal's high street may i refer you to the my Mary Portas pilot town bid which goes live at the end of next week. Kind regards, Ben Berry Windermere[/p][/quote]I suspect a Conservative led council, if we ever see one, would also charge for parking. Someone has to pay, whether its the motorist or the council taxpayer. £1.20 for an hour is not extortionate, compared with the price of computer games. In fact if you support local retailers and employers such as Booths or M&S, then the first hours parking is free. Being an elected councillor is not just about opposing the party in power, it's also about supporting the local community in its entirety. If no one pays for parking, we will have no parking. If no one supports all our retailers, we end up with a town full of fast food outlets and charity shops, not that both don't have a role to play in a thriving community. onelocal
  • Score: 0

12:27pm Sat 24 Mar 12

Lakeuk says...

To goal of public car parking should be to maximise usage - Is SLDC & LDNPA doing this with their car parks - Maybe we shouldn't look at it on parking cost and start measuring them by usage - I can see a FoI request in this (I may request some stats).

At peak times I'd expect an usage rate of 80%+ in urban areas (another council uses this as a measure). Off peak you'd expect less but not so low that cost is the reason that's putting people of (night time parking?)

I think if usage was the measure then this would lead to better, more flexible pricing structures

Has anyone noticed how LDNPA is putting up car parking meters everywhere. I used to park at the top end of Thirlmere when out walking which could take around 10 cars. Now it has a parking meter charging £2.50 for 2 hrs, £4.50 for 4 hrs, £7 upto 12hrs or £28 !! for a week - tickets are not transferable. As expected the car park was empty on a sunny day last week and I like others parked a 100m up the road where it's impossible for them to charge
To goal of public car parking should be to maximise usage - Is SLDC & LDNPA doing this with their car parks - Maybe we shouldn't look at it on parking cost and start measuring them by usage - I can see a FoI request in this (I may request some stats). At peak times I'd expect an usage rate of 80%+ in urban areas (another council uses this as a measure). Off peak you'd expect less but not so low that cost is the reason that's putting people of (night time parking?) I think if usage was the measure then this would lead to better, more flexible pricing structures Has anyone noticed how LDNPA is putting up car parking meters everywhere. I used to park at the top end of Thirlmere when out walking which could take around 10 cars. Now it has a parking meter charging £2.50 for 2 hrs, £4.50 for 4 hrs, £7 upto 12hrs or £28 !! for a week - tickets are not transferable. As expected the car park was empty on a sunny day last week and I like others parked a 100m up the road where it's impossible for them to charge Lakeuk
  • Score: 0

10:16pm Sun 25 Mar 12

Airfix says...

We LOVE going into GAME to browse games but almost never buy as they are so much more expensive than online. Why are the games in store more expensive than their own online store - stupid strategy.
We LOVE going into GAME to browse games but almost never buy as they are so much more expensive than online. Why are the games in store more expensive than their own online store - stupid strategy. Airfix
  • Score: 0

7:44pm Mon 26 Mar 12

Lakeuk says...

Airfix- Shops have to pay rent, staff etc...
Airfix- Shops have to pay rent, staff etc... Lakeuk
  • Score: 0

9:06pm Mon 26 Mar 12

Ladyxxmacbeth says...

I hope GAME does go down the swanny as I actually quite like it in there...The staff are knowledgable and one is quite tasty, but Im not saying which one!!! :-) The trouble is they are too expensive...and atm we all want a bargain
I hope GAME does go down the swanny as I actually quite like it in there...The staff are knowledgable and one is quite tasty, but Im not saying which one!!! :-) The trouble is they are too expensive...and atm we all want a bargain Ladyxxmacbeth
  • Score: 0

11:38pm Mon 26 Mar 12

Airfix says...

Lakeuk wrote:
Airfix- Shops have to pay rent, staff etc...
Yes I fully understand economics but the last game we looked at was £29.99 instore, £21.99 on their website and £17.99 at amazon. Now if you were 8 year old and earned £1odd a week what would you do?
[quote][p][bold]Lakeuk[/bold] wrote: Airfix- Shops have to pay rent, staff etc...[/p][/quote]Yes I fully understand economics but the last game we looked at was £29.99 instore, £21.99 on their website and £17.99 at amazon. Now if you were 8 year old and earned £1odd a week what would you do? Airfix
  • Score: 0

10:01am Tue 27 Mar 12

life cycle too says...

Is that a slip of the "pen" LXMB? :-O

The trouble with electronic games shops is that many of the visitors to the shop, simply want to try the games before buying cheaply elsewhere.
GAME had to join the online process to stand a chance of competing - for financial expediency, they should have closed down nearly all their shops sooner.

I am of the opinion that the game and music producers are responsible for much of the ills of the electronic media retailing problems, as they want to maintain THEIR margins, while the retailers are forced to cut theirs to compete.
Is that a slip of the "pen" LXMB? :-O The trouble with electronic games shops is that many of the visitors to the shop, simply want to try the games before buying cheaply elsewhere. GAME had to join the online process to stand a chance of competing - for financial expediency, they should have closed down nearly all their shops sooner. I am of the opinion that the game and music producers are responsible for much of the ills of the electronic media retailing problems, as they want to maintain THEIR margins, while the retailers are forced to cut theirs to compete. life cycle too
  • Score: 0

2:59pm Tue 27 Mar 12

Spies says...

What GAME thrives on is their trade-ins, I don't think many people actually go in and buy full price games. Problem is, that Argos and the supermarkets are muscling in on the trade ins and for the sake of convenience, people are just buying their games when they do their weekly food shop.

People don't have the money themselves to support their local businesses, would you spend an extra £10 on a game in the hopes it means that they might be able to afford to pay their wages for another day?
What GAME thrives on is their trade-ins, I don't think many people actually go in and buy full price games. Problem is, that Argos and the supermarkets are muscling in on the trade ins and for the sake of convenience, people are just buying their games when they do their weekly food shop. People don't have the money themselves to support their local businesses, would you spend an extra £10 on a game in the hopes it means that they might be able to afford to pay their wages for another day? Spies
  • Score: 0

10:19pm Tue 27 Mar 12

Lakeuk says...

Airfix- If I was that 8 year old and really wanted that game then I would save up my money or be a little realistic with my young spending power.

In fact I was that 8 year old back in the 80's saving up my 20p weekly pocket money for a commodore 64 game, now I could of saved and saved for the latest game that would of cost me £9.99 but I was taught the value of money and would settle for saving for a game from the budget range that cost £2.99
Airfix- If I was that 8 year old and really wanted that game then I would save up my money or be a little realistic with my young spending power. In fact I was that 8 year old back in the 80's saving up my 20p weekly pocket money for a commodore 64 game, now I could of saved and saved for the latest game that would of cost me £9.99 but I was taught the value of money and would settle for saving for a game from the budget range that cost £2.99 Lakeuk
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Wed 28 Mar 12

Kendmoor says...

hardly surprised, it was just a matter of time. Their prices have always been through the roof and could never hope to compete with the internet. Of course you could say that about any store - but by games very nature they were clearly going to be hit by online sales in a tech savvy world. I can only echo what Airfix said. I'm not sure what LakesUK is getting at - that 8 year old today just asks their parents to get it through amazon or ebay: financial lessons will have to be learnt elsewhere as its not the 80's anymore ;)
hardly surprised, it was just a matter of time. Their prices have always been through the roof and could never hope to compete with the internet. Of course you could say that about any store - but by games very nature they were clearly going to be hit by online sales in a tech savvy world. I can only echo what Airfix said. I'm not sure what LakesUK is getting at - that 8 year old today just asks their parents to get it through amazon or ebay: financial lessons will have to be learnt elsewhere as its not the 80's anymore ;) Kendmoor
  • Score: 0

2:54pm Wed 28 Mar 12

Spies says...

Don't worrry LXMB, I'll let Chris know you find him 'tasty'. You should maybe refrain from licking him though.
Don't worrry LXMB, I'll let Chris know you find him 'tasty'. You should maybe refrain from licking him though. Spies
  • Score: 0

3:37pm Wed 28 Mar 12

life cycle too says...

Spies wrote:
Don't worrry LXMB, I'll let Chris know you find him 'tasty'. You should maybe refrain from licking him though.
I'm worried that LXMB DOES want GAME to fold so thatshe can snap up an ex-member of staff for employment in her household!

I think licking is outside of the usual terms of employment!
[quote][p][bold]Spies[/bold] wrote: Don't worrry LXMB, I'll let Chris know you find him 'tasty'. You should maybe refrain from licking him though.[/p][/quote]I'm worried that LXMB DOES want GAME to fold so thatshe can snap up an ex-member of staff for employment in her household! I think licking is outside of the usual terms of employment! life cycle too
  • Score: 0

7:09pm Wed 28 Mar 12

Moonbase says...

life cycle too wrote:
Spies wrote:
Don't worrry LXMB, I'll let Chris know you find him 'tasty'. You should maybe refrain from licking him though.
I'm worried that LXMB DOES want GAME to fold so thatshe can snap up an ex-member of staff for employment in her household!

I think licking is outside of the usual terms of employment!
Perhaps LXMB could open one of the wings at 'MB Towers' and gainfully employ this obvious Adonis.
[quote][p][bold]life cycle too[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Spies[/bold] wrote: Don't worrry LXMB, I'll let Chris know you find him 'tasty'. You should maybe refrain from licking him though.[/p][/quote]I'm worried that LXMB DOES want GAME to fold so thatshe can snap up an ex-member of staff for employment in her household! I think licking is outside of the usual terms of employment![/p][/quote]Perhaps LXMB could open one of the wings at 'MB Towers' and gainfully employ this obvious Adonis. Moonbase
  • Score: 0

8:38pm Wed 28 Mar 12

Lakeuk says...

Kendmoor- You've hit the nail on the head, parents not teaching their kids the value of money - I wonder why we're in a credit crunch
Kendmoor- You've hit the nail on the head, parents not teaching their kids the value of money - I wonder why we're in a credit crunch Lakeuk
  • Score: 0

10:57am Thu 29 Mar 12

Kendmoor says...

Nonsense, I would say that parents showing the children how much cheaper things are online as opposed to rip-off stores like game is actually a very good lesson in the value of money. With the prominence of online shopping and a consumer savvy society I'm afraid GAME was going to suffer credit crunch or not.
Nonsense, I would say that parents showing the children how much cheaper things are online as opposed to rip-off stores like game is actually a very good lesson in the value of money. With the prominence of online shopping and a consumer savvy society I'm afraid GAME was going to suffer credit crunch or not. Kendmoor
  • Score: 0

10:58am Thu 29 Mar 12

Spies says...

You can't sell at competitive prices compared to the internet in a high-street store, it's impossible.
You can't sell at competitive prices compared to the internet in a high-street store, it's impossible. Spies
  • Score: 0

11:33am Thu 29 Mar 12

life cycle too says...

If High Street stores dried up however, a few people would be reluctant to buy games online that they had not had a chance to try out in a shop - or could part exchange when they grew tired of it.

My eldest son is very careful with money, and prefers to buy on the High Street - also realising the benefit of their "free" advice.
If High Street stores dried up however, a few people would be reluctant to buy games online that they had not had a chance to try out in a shop - or could part exchange when they grew tired of it. My eldest son is very careful with money, and prefers to buy on the High Street - also realising the benefit of their "free" advice. life cycle too
  • Score: 0

9:54am Fri 30 Mar 12

Ladyxxmacbeth says...

I meant to say I don't want it to go under....yes, a slip of the pen !!!
They are all lovely but Chris wasn't the one I had in mind!!!! :-P
I meant to say I don't want it to go under....yes, a slip of the pen !!! They are all lovely but Chris wasn't the one I had in mind!!!! :-P Ladyxxmacbeth
  • Score: 0

6:39pm Fri 30 Mar 12

life cycle too says...

Ladyxxmacbeth wrote:
I meant to say I don't want it to go under....yes, a slip of the pen !!!
They are all lovely but Chris wasn't the one I had in mind!!!! :-P
I wonder if Mills and Boon would be interested in this plot...? :-)
[quote][p][bold]Ladyxxmacbeth[/bold] wrote: I meant to say I don't want it to go under....yes, a slip of the pen !!! They are all lovely but Chris wasn't the one I had in mind!!!! :-P[/p][/quote]I wonder if Mills and Boon would be interested in this plot...? :-) life cycle too
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree