High hopes that Windermere's Great North Swim will go ahead tomorrow (Sunday) (From The Westmorland Gazette)
When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
High hopes that Windermere's Great North Swim will go ahead tomorrow (Sunday)
ORGANISERS of Windermere's Great North Swim will decide this afternoon (Saturday) whether to go ahead with tomorrow's event.
An emergency meeting has been scheduled for 2pm at the Low Wood Hotel, Windermere, following the cancellation of today's programme and postponement of yesterday's two-mile swims.
Press officer Philippa Morrow spoke to The Westmorland Gazette at the venue this morning about the latest situation.
She said the team was hopeful that events planned for tomorrow, plus the rescheduled two-mile swims from Friday, would be able to go ahead.
She said: "We had to cancel today's event for safety reasons the wind and everyone is being given a full refund.
"Right now, we think yes, it will go ahead tomorrow, because the forecast says that the wind will blow itself out.
"Everyone has been really understanding and we have had some really good comments on social media.
"This is one of six major events planned for the north of England that have had to be cancelled this weekend due to the weather, so I think people realise the situation.
"People understand that we are putting the safety of our participants first - that is the main priority."
One swimmer Demelza Nock, of London, (pictured) arrived at the starting point at the Low Wood Bay Hotel and Marina unaware that today's swim had been cancelled.
She told The Gazette: "I am disappointed really but they have told me that the conditions aren't right. We have come up from London for the weekend but this was the main reason we were here."
Sisters Jane and Nicky Keane (pictured) were among nine family members who had travelled from Essex, Gloucestershire and Herefordshire for the weekend's events.
Nicky was set to take part in yesterday's two-mile swim which has been rearranged for Sunday at 2pm.
Jane, who was going to take part in today's swim, said: "We found out yesterday that the two-mile swim was postponed, and then last night we were told about today's swim being cancelled."
Nicky, who has taken part in the swim three times, said: "We are gutted but we are still enjoying being in the Lakes. We love it here.
"Hopefully tomorrow's events will be able to go ahead."
Jane said: "I've raised about £300 for Kidney Research UK in sponsorship, so it's a shame, but we do understand that the conditions aren't right and it isn't worth risking people's health and safety.
"We're still gonna have a nice weekend while we're up here."
As it stands at the moment, tomorrow will see the half-mile swims starting at 9am followed by one-mile swims until 2pm when the Elite Men and Elite Women events will take place.
Then at 3pm the rescheduled two-mile swim which was postponed on Friday is set to take place.
Check back on thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk for further updates.