From 1 October wheel clamping was banned on private land.

Only the police, bailiffs and other government organisations have the authority to clamp and only in exceptional circumstances. If you are aware of anyone else threatening to clamp let us know.

To control parking, companies can issue tickets and use barriers at entrances and exits of car parks.

On private land there are new procedures for issuing parking tickets (called a Parking Charge Notice) and dealing with appeals, which is now a two-stage process, appealing first to the parking company, then to an independent appeals body called Parking on Private Land Appeals (POPLA).

All landowners and parking companies who use this new parking process must be members of the British Parking Association (BPA).

Non-BPA members can still issue parking tickets but can’t use the independent appeals process. For more information check or contact your local Citizens Advice.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from the Citizens Advice Bureau on any aspect of debt, benefits, housing, employment and any other problems. You can contact the Grange or Windermere Citizens Advice Bureau by phone or in person.

Call 015395 33100 / 015394 46464. If you don't need us for advice, how about helping us by becoming a volunteer or making a donation? Not many people realize that we are a charity - see our website for details