First outing in Epilepsy Society vest sparks huge adrenaline rush

Sponsor Patrick's marathon effort

Sponsor Patrick's marathon effort

First published in Patrick O'Kane The Westmorland Gazette: Photograph of the Author by , Senior News/Sport Reporter

THE last week has been quite a nervy one for me as I edged closer to my first 15 mile run as the London marathon draws ever nearer.

I have done long distance running before but I've never attempted anything beyond a half marathon (13.1miles) so I knew it was a mental thing in my head getting me panicky!

If I couldn't do 15 miles then how was I ever going to get around 26.2 in April?

I also had a week off running just 10 days ago because of shin splints, so the prospect of further injury also crept in.

I rang my mum last night for a pep talk and it gave me a bit more confidence that I could do it, but even if I couldn't I still had nine weeks.

That's what parents are for right?

So I got myself ready for bed and tucked up before 10pm, set the alarm clock for 6am, so I could do the proper prep for my run in the morning.

For me, today, Sunday, has been a massive day. Not only did I want to complete my 15 miles unscathed, but my football team, Nottingham Forest were playing a top of the table clash on Sky, so I needed to get home to watch that too.

I woke before my alarm, at 5.30am in fact, got up, had my breakfast and then waited for it to digest.

At 7.45am I ate a banana and a protein bar and headed out the door.

And the next 2.16.13 were the most comfortable running hours I have ever had.

I couldn't believe how fine I felt. Before I knew it I had looped my way down the A65 past Endmoor and Crooklands to the roundabout and was darting back towards Barrows Green.

How had I managed to run 10 miles in less than 1 hour 30?

This astonished me, but even more so the fact I felt like I had plenty more in the tank.

So I kept going at the same pace, waiting for 'the wall' but I reached Oxenholme, looped around the train station and was soon in full flow as I hit the 13.1 mile mark.

And I glanced at my watch to see 1.56.23 - this was my fastest half marathon distance - and a new PB for that distance.

I had anticipated a 3-hour run to complete my 15 miles, despite hoping for 2 hours 30.

So here I was in the crazy position of having an hour, or really half an hour in the bag for my final two miles.

The adrenaline started to kick in and I went awash with cold. I told myself not to get too carried away as I still had two miles to run and having already been out in the pouring rain for two hours, I didn't want my body to get colder.

So I pulled myself together and maintained my speed as I passed Lakes Leisure and 14 miles.

Yes, 28 minutes in the bag to finish my last mile!

At this point I eased up, there was no point injuring myself as 2.30 was the aim - and my final mile was mainly uphill.

But just 13 minutes later I had looped a couple of estates and passed my 15 mile mark.

I stopped the clock at 2.16.13 - just over 9 minute miles - super!

I was in shock that a) I had ran the complete distance b) I had completed the run 1 minute per mile than anticipated and c) I felt fine that I just needed to add another 11 miles to get around England's capital in nine weeks time.

I allowed a rush of adrenaline to kick in as I cooled down and walked back to my house and strangely I had so much energy.

It was a real high point for me in my training and now I am convinced I can make it to London, but I won't be getting complacent.

Today, Sunday, was also the first outing for my Epilepsy Society vest - the one I will wear on race day! - and it returned relatively unscatched too, apart from being completely soaked through.

So now I am looking to my first 10 mile race in Maryport in two weeks, before the next hurdle, an 18 mile run in about four weeks time.

I can't wait though. I have passed the halfway mark in my training and now I can see the finish line.

Before that though I also have my 70s and 80s fancy dress night in Kendal - on Friday, March 4th, from 7.30pm.

The fancy dress party is at The Park Nightclub in Parkside Road and tickets are available from Sandylands Spar and also from myself, tel, 07792685508.

I hope you can all make it to support me, but if not, log on to and make a contribution.

For information on the Epilepsy Society please visit I am very excited about my run now in case you can't tell and I hope you continue to follow my progress as I edge towards the big day!

For those that are interested, Forest did my proud with a battling 1-1 draw to stay in the promotion hunt, so it has been a good day, but now I'm tired and should be in bed before 9pm!

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree