Employees need a work card permit

First published in Search by

JANUARY 1, 2007, saw the expansion of the EU to include Romania and Bulgaria. This means Bulgarian and Romanian nationals have free rights of movement and residence in other EU states, including the UK.

However, this does not automatically give nationals of these countries the right to work in the UK.

There are certain restrictions that apply. Bulgarian and Romanian nationals can come to the UK and work on a self-employed basis without the need to obtain any formal documentation.

They are, of course, subject to the usual requirements of registering with the Inland Revenue and will need the necessary insurance to comply with the industry in which they operate.

Bulgarians and Romanians must obtain a Work Authorisation Document before commencing employ-ment if they wish to be employed in the UK. This will take the form of either an Accession Work Card or Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme Card.

For more on this story, see today's Westmorland Gazette.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree