WINDERMERE moved up to second in Cumbria Division One after beating rivals Millom by the narrowest of margins in a top of the table blockbuster.

Millom came to Windermere one place ahead of the home side but with equal points, and 250 supporters were not disappointed.

After five minutes a Millom player held onto the ball on the ground inside his own 22 and Crawford took a difficult penalty to put the home side into the lead.

But just 10 minutes later Windermere’s Curry was penalised for tackling a moving maul and Millom equalised.

On the half hour a pod of Millom forwards assembled on the blind side of a ruck and bulldozed over the line from short range, with a difficult conversion scored to put Millom 10-3 ahead.

Windermere responded Millom offended repeatedly. Eventually the referee tired of giving penalties and a Millom player was shown the yellow card. Crawford kicked an easy penalty to make it 10-6 to Millom at half time.

After 50 minutes another Millom player was sin-binned so Windermere pounced. They won a lineout and Sheasby, carrying the ball at the tail of a fast-moving maul, touched down wide on the left to give ‘Mere a one point lead.

Millom re-took the lead from a penalty with 10 minutes left but with a minute left, Crawford scored a penalty to cap an excellent 14-13 victory for Windermere.

Kendal 2XV secured their second win of the season against Carlisle Crusaders 2XV.

Kendal got off to a flyer, scoring their first of four tries in the second minute as standoff Jordan Johnson sniped through a gap in the defence to score the try which he converted himself.

Nine minutes later and Carlisle levelled with a powerful run through midfield by their right wing, aided by some very poor tackling, to give Carlisle a converted try.

Johnson’s penalty put Kendal back in the lead at half time and Dan Boardley got Kendal’s next try which was converted to make it 17-7.

On 60 minutes Carlisle pulled three points back when Kendal were penalised in front of their own posts.

but Kendal upped the intensity in the final 10 minutes to produce two more tries and gain a bonus point.

Centre Graham Coulter chipped through the defence, gathering his own kick to score an unconverted try, before prop forward Dan Reid combined pace and power out wide to burst over the white wash for Kendal’s fourth try which Johnson brilliantly converted from close to the touchline.

Netherhall got their first victory of the season with a comfortable 57-0 victory over Kirkby Lonsdale 2XV, while Furness got a good 20-12 win at Penrith RFC A XV.

Hawcoat Park made it eight wins out of eight as they overcame fourth-placed Silloth 29-7.