City of York 0

Kendal 2

North Women’s Hockey League

Premier Division

KENDAL Ladies were thrilled to take to the pitch on Saturday having not played for three weeks because of the weather.

It had been a long journey to York, so captain Nicola Martindale asked the team to start strong and they duly did.

Kendal were all over them for the first 10 minutes, creating a hatful of chances.

The first one to be converted was by Abby Bland, who tapped it in following a cross from the right and a goal-mouth scramble.

Kendal sat back a bit after the goal and allowed York to control the game for a while.

Goalkeeper Fiona Battersby made a diving save to preserve Kendal's lead and the Cumbrians’ defence of Whalley, Morris and Taggart were tight, especially at short corners.

The tension continued in the second half, with Melanie Whalley executing a goal-line save in mid-air.

Ten minutes from the final whistle, Nicola Conway's shot was deflected in by the keeper to give Kendal a two goal cushion and with this, the result was secured.

Kendal will head to Bowdon (Manchester) next week for the crucial top of the table clash.

Women’s hockey roundup

IN DIVISION Two North West, Kirkby Stephen comfortably took Wigan apart with a 5-0 win that keeps them fifth, 10 points behind Garstang with two games in hand.

In the Cumbria League, Kirkby Stephen Thirds got their second win of the season with a 5-0 success over Wigton Seconds, while Penrith beat Keswick 3-0.

Urmston 2nds 4

Windermere 5

Men’s North West League

Division Three North

WINDERMERE were forced to dig deep against suprisingly strong west Manchester opponents but they clinched maximum points to extend their 100 per cent record to 10 games.

Urmston scored the only goal of the first half and Mere's woes were compounded by the loss of skipper Scott Santamera with a serious finger injury.

However, a change of formation to fully exploit the flanks was quickly rewarded.

Harry Jackson found Matt Hartnett, whose shot rebounded off the keeper for Liam Derome to score.

Then Mere took the lead through a well taken Steve Johns strike.

Urmston drew level with a lucky deflection from a penalty corner but Keenan Quill put Mere ahead again from a penalty corner before Derome beat two players on the left to feed Will Dolman, whose finish made it 4-2.

However, Urmston bounced back again with a penalty stroke goal and a fifth Mere goal, scored by Derome, did not crush their spirit.

Urmston scored their fourth just before the final whistle but it was too little too late.

Windermere's Seconds beat Kirkby Lonsdale's development side 4-0 in their Sunday Association match.

Mere's goals were scored by Jason Balmer (three) and Ed Evans.

In Division Six North, South Lakes Seconds lost 5-1 to Warrington in a result that leaves them ninth in the table.