A PENALTY save by Phillip King proved to be crucial as Kendal County claimed a hard-fought 1-0 win against a tough Todmorden Borough side on Saturday in Division Two of the West Lancashire League.

Both teams had chances in the first half with Gary Hartley hitting the bar before King saved a penalty just before the break.

After the interval County pressed Todmorden back and made their pressure count in the 70th minute when a Jason Jones shot rocketed off the bar, bouncing out to Jordan Knowles, who headed in from eight yards.

County had several opportunities to finish the game off but failed to take any further chances.

The away side tried to break County’s defence but nothing came of it and County prevailed with a well-deserved victory.

A quick goal after half time spoiled the chances of Milnthorpe Corinthians getting something out of their game against Ladybridge.

Scott Singleton scored just before the interval to halve Milnthorpe’s deficit and make it 2-1 against Ladybridge at the break.

But the home side scored just after half time and later on in the second period they bagged two more as they ran out 5-1 victors, with Liam Boswell claiming four goals.

Jack Gardner scored the only goal for Gsk Ulverston Rangers as they succumbed to a 3-1 home defeat to in-form Walney Island.

Jordan Brough, Will Bolton and A Carr scored the goals for Walney.

In Division One Dalton United emerged triumphant with a 2-1 victory at home to Ambleside United.

Early play was fairly even and a chance fell to Ambleside when it took a fine save by the Dalton keeper to keep out a header by Perry Duggan from a cross by Callum Hoctor.

Dalton opened the scoring goal when Ambleside failed to clear a cross which allowed Gareth Jones to tap in after 12 minutes.

But their lead was short-lived when Ambleside equalised three minutes later following a solo run by Hoctor, who drilled a low hard shot into the corner of the net from just outside the penalty area.

Dalton regained their lead when Ambleside lost possession in midfield. The ball was played out to their right and Dean Crossman finished off the move with a well taken goal for a 2-1 half time.

Several fine saves and some resolute defending from Dalton kept Ambleside at bay, with Ryan Close’s shot tipped over the bar and Michael Barron’s powerful shot hitting the crossbar.

But it proved to no avail and Dalton claimed all three points to move up to ninth in the table.