Ambleside Reserves up to third as Staveley and Burneside battle it out for draw

First published in Sport The Westmorland Gazette: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

AMBLESIDE United Reserves moved up to third in the Westmorland League after a 2-1 success at Kendal Celtic.

Celtic remain second from bottom and didn’t get going until the last 15 minutes when Ben Hughes pulled a goal back.

Before then, Ambleside’s Reserves put themselves 2-0 ahead and they navigated the last 15 minutes to pick up three points.

Staveley United and Burneside shared the spoils in a close battle between the sides.

Jamie Stott put Staveley ahead when he outpaced the defence and slotted beyond the keeper after 20 minutes, but their advantage was short-lived as Karl Satterthwaite equalised 30 seconds later with a strike from the edge of the area.

Burneside had Lee McNeill sent off after 70 minutes but there were no further goals as both sides had to settle for a point.

Lunesdale United progressed to the next round of the Westmorland Senior Challenge Cup as they squeezed past Kirkoswald in a 4-3 home win, while Wetheriggs United were not given any problems by Division Four outfit Esthwaite Vale as they eased to a 7-0 success.

Bottom club Sedbergh Wanderers put their league form to one side by beating Penrith Rangers 6-3 in the first round of the High Sheriff’s Cup.

Related links

Keswick also progressed to the next round with a 5-1 victory over Kendal United in a laboured performance.

Kendal were always a threat as they counter-attacked well with pace but Keswick defended well and in a superb 10-minute spell for Keswick they scored three goals. Bannister rolled his marker on the edge of the box and placed the ball past the on-rushing keeper for the first, Kirkby headed home for the second and Andy Frampton struck a majestic 25-yarder into the top corner for the third.

Jay Turner scored from the penalty spot in the 40th minute to pull a goal back for Kendal and they should have scored when an unmarked player somehow put the ball over the bar from four yards.

Substitute Andy Rigg got the fourth goal for Keswick and despite hard work by United to get back into the game, Bannister scored his second and Keswick’s fifth when he raced onto a through ball, and took the ball around the keeper to slot home.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree