KESWICK emerged victorious against Appleby in the battle of the top two teams in the Westmorland Football League to move within five points of the leaders with four games in hand.

Chances were few and far between in the first half for both sides as they cancelled each other out.

It was not until 10 minutes before half time when Appleby full back Lee Turnbull nicked the ball off Andy Frampton and charged down the right. He kept his composure to pick out Jordan Crawford in the box and from six yards the young striker calmly side footed Appleby into the lead.

The goal seemed to be what Keswick needed as they immediately upped their tempo and they equalised before half time when Little swung in a near post corner which Bannister flicked on, with Dowson smashing in from close range.

Thomas Armstrong headed Appleby into a 2-1 lead, after which Keswick kept plugging away at Appleby until with 15 minutes remaining a good move down the left saw the ball played into Frampton. He cut inside and from the edge of the box Frampton struck a fierce shot which deflected into the net to make it 2-2.

But with 10 minutes left, another deflected effort from Andy Rigg went in off the bar to give Keswick a 3-2 lead and despite Appleby throwing the kitchen sink at Keswick, they could not glean a leveller as Keswick recorded victory over their title rivals.

Staveley Utd cruised to a 5-0 success at Kendal Celtic in The High Sheriffs Cup.

Staveley opened the scoring straight from kickoff after a cross into the box deflected off a Celtic Player, and went into the back of the net for an own goal.

Celtic could have equalised with Jordan Coathup going close and Nick Chaplow forcing a save from the visiting keeper, but Staveley went in at half time 2-0 up when Kaine Taylor converted from inside the box.

In the second half, Staveley went 3-0 up a minute into the game when Callum Thwaites prodded the ball home after being left unmarked in the box.

Ex-Celtic player Jamie Stott gratefully made it 4-0 when the ball fell kindly to him after Dean Wicks spilled the ball before John Holiday grabbed a fifth for Staveley.

Burneside progressed to the next round after they beat Lunesdale United 5-4 on penalties. Ten goals were scored in normal time as the teams played out a 5-5 draw before Burneside won on the spot kicks.

Kirkoswald are also through to the next round after they came from a goal down to beat Ambleside United Reserves. A Chris Mills header gave Ambleside a 1-0 lead but Kirkoswald equalised through a penalty and a goal just before half time put the home side into the lead.

Kirkoswald scored two second half goals to wrap up the tie.

Sedbergh Wanderers are also out of the High Sheriff’s Cup after they were beaten 3-1 by Wetheriggs United.

In the Westmorland Benevolent Trophy, Penrith Rangers won 1-0 at Unisun Athletic to book a tough semi-final tie where they will entertain Keswick.