KENDAL remain in hot pursuit of third-placed Widnes after overcoming a tenacious Liverpool St. Helens at Moss Lane as skipper James Gough ran in the last of five tries.

Aside from Gough, the forwards dominated the try-scoring effort with James Thompson, Reece Tomlinson, Garry Holmes and Richard Harryman touching down for the away side.

While always chasing the game, Liverpool St Helens – hovering one place above the League North One West relegation places – replied through Neil Hull and Sam Molyneux.

The Black and Ambers opened the scoring after four minutes, Thompson taking full advantage of the Kendal pack out-muscling the Liverpool scrum, as Andrew Boardley converted.

Further pressure at the scrum resulted in a series of Kendal penalties although the visitors failed to get over the line, while latterly a Boardley kick at goal struck a post.

However, after Liverpool centre Hull was shown a yellow card, Boardley successfully kicked his second penalty to extend the Kendal advantage to ten points.

Veteran second row Adam Jackson became the second Liverpool player to be sin-binned following a line-out offence before the hosts reduced their arrears on 33 minutes.

After Chris Park and Matty Houghton prevented a certain try, the home side claimed line-out ball with play spread wide for Hull to cross the line, as fly-half Simon Worsley converted.

Kendal soon replied and after line-out ball was won following Dan Lowther’s kick to touch, the visitors’ pack once again paved the way for Tomlinson to score, with Boardley converting.

With a ten-point advantage restored heading into the second period, Houghton was halted before the line as Kendal were reduced to 14 men with Liam Hayton receiving a yellow card on 44 minutes.

Seven minutes later flanker Molyneux scored Liverpool’s second try of the afternoon after a cross-field move, with Worsley again converting to reduce the deficit to a three-point margin.

Kendal were back in the ascendency moments later, Tomlinson again taking line-out ball as the forwards drove to the line with Holmes on-hand to finish the move.

With quarter of an hour remaining, young hooker Robbie Collinson replaced Duncan Green while Boardley made way for Jordan Johnson at left-wing.

And with ten minutes left on the clock, Kendal pressure told as Harryman powered over from short range to claim his side’s bonus point try, as Park converted.

Late points added gloss to the scoreline as Gough was on-hand to gather the ball and cross the line after an apparent knock on by Johnson, with Park’s conversion completing the scoring.

The away side withstood late Liverpool pressure, denying their opponents a consolation try at the end of a hard-fought League North One West fixture.

Kendal’s victory makes in six wins in seven games since the turn of the year, with the Black and Ambers three points behind Widnes who have a game in hand.

Liverpool St. Helens: James Windle, Mario Bonati (c), Mark Fryer, Adam Jackson, Adam Donlevy, Mark Potter, Sam Molyneux, Phil Kearns, Rob Dyer, Simon Worsley, James Laycock, Neil Hull, Matt Cunliffe, Danny Roberts, Jack Hodson. Replacements: Andy Barrow, Paddy Royle, Matt Jackson

Kendal: Glen Chesher, Duncan Green, Richard Harryman, Liam Hayton, Reece Tomlinson, Garry Holmes, Matty Houghton, James Thompson, James Gough (c), Dan Lowther, Mark Carruthers, Ian Voortman, Alistair Thompson, Andrew Boardley, Chris Park. Replacements: Robbie Collinson, Jordan Johnson, Chris Evans