A BONUS point victory moved Broughton Park clear of the relegation zone as prop Donald George maintained his try-scoring form during Kirkby Lonsdale’s first defeat in five matches.

Stephen Elliott, Chris Martin, Richard Barton and Ade Titiloye also crossed the line for the home side while Ben Walker and Stuart Storey touched down for Kirkby.

On top of travel problems which delayed kick-off, the visitors were without five senior players including influential fly-half Dave Barton and wing Sam Latu.

Tom Slater replaced Barton at ten while senior colt Ryan Terry was at full-back with Josh Pewsey returning to the first-team picture on the wing.

The forwards also required some reorganisation as John Whittaker came in at two with regular hooker Dan Armistead moving to prop, although Tim Groves remained at three.

Despite the disruption, Kirkby enjoyed a positive start with scrum-half Ben Walker darting through the Broughton Park defence to score after only three minutes, although Tom Pickthall’s conversion drifted wide.

After exerting pressure on the Kirkby defence, Broughton Park were awarded a penalty at the breakdown which was duly dispatched by Ronan O’Brien.

The hosts were now controlling possession as well as territory and after a well-constructed maul took Broughton Park into Kirkby’s twenty two, Elliott sneaked down the blindside to score.

Kirkby’s temporary prop Armistead picked up an injury and was forced out the game with Ryan Holmes coming off the bench into the front row.

Then came the best move of the match as neat interplay between the backs and forwards culminated in Martin sliding under the posts, with O’Brien’s conversion taking the half-time score to 15-5.

Broughton Park maintained their ascendency at the start of the second period with the forwards making their presence felt with impressive control, as Barton touched down for an unconverted try.

Kirkby were uncharacteristically missing first tackles and losing ball in contact situations, subsequently juggling their backs division with Jack Akrigg moving to ten and Slater to centre.

The home side secured a bonus point when Paddy O’Donnell led the Borughton Park forwards to within five metres of the Kirkby line, with George scoring his third try in as many matches as O’Brien converted.

Broughton Park continued to find space and with a good supply of ball began to turn the screw further, rewarded with Titiloye’s try out wide.

The final 20 minutes was a scrappy affair with Broughton Park’s Tom Ranaboldo and O’Brien both receiving yellow cards before Kirkby made the most of their numerical advantage.

The away side had the final say as flanker Storey crossed the line although by this stage this damage was done with Kirkby surrendering their four-game winning run.

Kirkby are back in action this weekend against Widnes at Underley Park while shock away results for Leigh and Carlisle mean Broughton Park still have work to do to avoid the drop.

Kirkby Lonsdale: Dan Armistead, John Whittaker, Tim Groves, Matt Hughes (c), Simon Dowker, Sam Chesney-Benson, Stuart Storey, Craig Galbraith, Ben Walker, Tom Slater, Martyn Knapton, Jack Akrigg, Tom Pickthall, Josh Pewsey, Ryan Terry. Replacements: Ryan Holmes, Tom Capstick