HITMAN Mark Jackson continued his fine pre-season goalscoring form as Kendal played out an entertaining draw with fellow Cumbrian outfit Workington.

Jackson opened the scoring early on but the Mintcakes were pegged back by two goals in six minutes before the break.

A late deflected effort from Jackson, his eighth goal in six games, sealed a draw against the Evo-Stik Premier Division newcomers.

Kendal made one change to the team that found themselves on the wrong end of a seven-goal thriller against Bootle last weekend with Rob Wilson coming into the midfield ahead of Curtis Haley.

The home side were the first to settle into the game and had the better of the opening 15 minutes.

Utility man Jack Smith, who played at centre-half, central midfield and on the wing throughout the 90 minutes, saw his goal bound effort blocked by Workington skipper Dan Wordsworth. 

Kendal captain Ricky Mercer also saw his header smack off the cross bar via Smith’s corner before the latter almost broke the deadlock with an audacious forty yard effort troubling the back pedaling 'keeper Johnny Jamieson.

The pressure finally told on the 18 minute mark when cheeky Jackson bagged the opener.

The former Skelmersdale United striker caught out Jamieson who casually rolled the ball out unaware Jackson was lurking behind him.

The Kendal front man nipped in front of Jamieson and dispossessed him before exchanging a one-two with Smith and rolling home into an empty net.

The visitors, relegated from the Conference North last year, restored parity ten minutes later as Connor Tinnion’s teasing left-footed in-swinging cross deceived Kendal 'keeper Danny MacDonald.

The presence of former Town striker Martyn Coleman distracted MacDonald as the ball sneaked into the net.

Tinnion and Kyle May then saw chances come and go before the away side took a thirty-fifth minute lead.

Midfielder Stephen Hindmarch found space in the box and fired the ball across the goal to a waiting May who converted from six yards to give Workington a 2-1 lead at half-time.

The visitors started the second half strongly as MacDonald saved spectacularly to thwart the lively Tinnion.

The winger then saw a swerving twenty five yarder narrowly miss the target before smashing a right-footed drive into the side-netting.

Workington were made to pay for their wastefulness as Jackson equalised on the 79 minute mark.

Craig Carney exchanged passes with Wilson on the right-wing. Carney, in space, pulled it back to the penalty spot where prolific Jackson was waiting to side-foot home into the bottom-left corner.

No major chances followed as both teams were forced to settled for a 2-2 draw.