A BRACE from in-form Jack Smith helped Kendal record a comfortable 4-0 home win over a youthful looking Morecambe team on Tuesday night.

Mark Jackson continued his fine goalscoring start to life back at the Lancaster and Morecambe Stadium and broke the deadlock from the penalty spot prior to Smith bagging a double before half-time.

Centre-back Ricky Mercer added gloss to the result when his header crept under the Morecambe stopper.

Boss Dave Foster made three changes to the side that drew with Workington last weekend.

Lydon Hodgkiss, Danny Forbes and Tommy Watson made way for Warren Beattie, Mike Rushton and new signing Rory Winters. Danny Wisdom was deployed in the left-back role while skipper Beattie took his place in the heart of the midfield.

The home side dominated the opening spells of the game with Rushton, Rob Wilson and Smith all having half-chances.

Kendal thought they should have had a penalty on the 15 minute mark when Jackson's attempted flick appeared to strike the hand of a Morecambe defender but the referee waived away the claims.

However, just minutes later he pointed to the spot when Smith, who has impressed throughout pre-season playing in a number of positions, was hauled down as he tried to get on the end of a dangerous looking Kieran Walmsley cross.

Jackson stepped up confidently and sent the keeper the wrong way as he stroked the ball home into the bottom left-hand side corner after 17 minutes of play.

The home side, sporting their brand new away kit for the first time, doubled the lead five minutes later when a slack pass from Morecambe right-back Tyler Edwards landed at the feet of a grateful Smith.

His right-footed effort was well saved by 'keeper Tom Stewart but Smith was not to be denied as he rifled home the rebound into the bottom right of the goal.

The scoreline was made even more handsome after 29 minutes.

Craig Carney fed a perfectly weighted through-ball inside the left-back and pacy Smith latched onto it before driving home right-footed into the roof of the net.

No changes at half-time for either time as Kendal began the second-half as they did the first - on the front foot.

And their dominance was almost rewarded instantly as another dangerous Walmsley cross found its way to Wilson waiting at the back stick. He dummied his marker but could only find the side-netting with his shot.

Smith could have completed his hat-trick on the 50 minute mark but he side-footed another Walmsley cross just wide.

But Kendal did find the fourth goal soon after when the unmarked Mercer headed under Stewart from an inswinging corner.

Morecambe's Aaron Pomeiye had a handful of half-chances but Kendal's defence and goalkeeper Danny MacDonald were rarely tested as they finished their penultimate pre-season game with a confident, and comfortable, victory.