HONOURS were even as Kendal Town and Northwich Victoria played out a goalless draw in the curtain raiser of the Evo Stik First Division North.

In a game of little goal mouth action, Mintcakes keeper Danny McDonald was rarely challenged while Northwich's backline restricted Kendal's attackers to a handful of half chances as both teams settled for a draw at Valley Road on Saturday afternoon.

Rob Wilson was missing so Danny Wisdom slotted into his familiar left-midfield role while a host of summer signings, including Mark Jackson, Rory Winters and Kieran Pickup, made their full league debuts.

Vics striker Gary Burnett had the first real chance to open the scoring on nine minutes but his tame volley fell straight into the arms of McDonald.

Six minutes later and Kendal were caught on the break by Burnett. He raced clear of the Kendal defence before pulling the ball back to right-back Chris Smalley whose low cross was met by a diving header from Joshua Amis. The ball rebounded to Godwin Akabandi whose shot was scrambled off the line before Lydon Hodgkiss headed Brian Summerskill's follow up around the post.

Both teams cancelled each other out and the ball spent more time in the air than it did on the bumpy pitch.

Northwich had the better of the first half with eight corners and a hatful of half chances but lack of finishing meant the score remained goalless at the break.

The second-half followed suit as both teams were restricted to half chances and left to rue wastefulness in front of goal.

Amis dragged a shot wide of Mcdonald's net when he was played through by Burnett after 50 minutes before Burnett's shot was deflected out to Stuart Cook whose effort was hacked off the line by Walmsley.

Pickup wasted Kendal's best chance of the match when he narrowly flicked a shot just wide of ex-Barrow goalkeeper Tim Deasy's goal after a loose ball fell perfectly for him on the 60 minute mark.

Craig Carney blazed two effort wildly over the bar before Summerskill almost gave Northwich the lead on 69 minutes.

The central midfielder's piledriver had McDonald beaten but rattled against the crossbar as the game faded away in the last 20 minutes to an opening day draw.