Christian Kalvenes timed his first Burnley goal to perfection with an 85th-minute winner to plunge Lancashire rivals Blackpool deeper into the Coca-Cola Championship relegation mire.

The Norwegian left-back burst into the box to sweep a low left-foot drive past Seasiders goalkeeper Paul Rachubka to settle a miserable and at times farcical encounter.

The fierce gusts which swept a bitterly cold Bloomfield Road meant precious little football was played and the ball would not lie still when the respective goalkeepers tried to take dead-ball kicks.

Referee Lee Mason consulted Blackpool caretaker boss Tony Parkes and opposite number Owen Coyle in the 21st minute but a joint decision was taken to continue playing.

Blackpool may wish the game had been abandoned as they went on to lose their fourth home match in succession to slide into deeper trouble.

Yet it was they who fashioned the better opportunities in a truly dire opening period and they almost led inside the second minute.

Danny Coid whipped in a vicious cross from the right flank and Claus Jorgensen’s header was deflected out for a corner.

In the eighth minute, Burnley midfielder Kevin McDonald, recalled to the side after his side were thumped 4-2 at home by Sheffield Wednesday last weekend, collected possession 20 yards from goal.

The Scottish youngster produced a delightful lofted effort which went narrowly over the far angle of bar and post.

Moments later Coid again crossed dangerously from the right but both DJ Campbell and Brett Ormerod failed to connect and Burnley breathed again.

Burnley came desperately close to leading in the 19th minute when Martin Paterson’s close-range shot was headed off the line by Jorgensen.

Then came the touchline consultation between Mason and the respective managers, and driving rain which soon made conditions even worse.

Blackpool continued to hold the upper hand but they could not find the breakthrough before the interval whistle.

Clarets boss Coyle sought to inject more width into his side in the 56th minute by replacing the below-par Robbie Blake with Wade Elliott.

Seconds later Blackpool appealed vehemently for a penalty after Burnley skipper Steven Caldwell appeared to block the ball with his arm.

Mason was unmoved, however, and the Clarets opened up Blackpool in a fine move which should have produced the game’s opening goal.

McDonald spotted Paterson making a clever run and his defence-splitting pass put Burnley’s leading scorer in on goal with only Rachubka to beat.

The Seasiders stopper was quick off his line to smother Paterson’s scuffed right-foot shot and the pendulum quickly swung back towards the hosts.

In the 79th minute the influential Jorgensen hit a shot which Brian Jensen fumbled but Campbell could not tuck away the rebound and six minutes later Burnley clinched the points.

Kalvenes began a move which involved Chris Eagles and Elliott and culminated in him advancing into the box unopposed to sweep a low left-foot shot into the far corner.