OPENING batter Jamie Heywood scored a superb 64 runs in only his second match back from a serious head injury which ruled him out of the whole of last season.

Heywood, who was in a coma when he fell on his head in a building accident last year, grafted his innings off 148 balls to give Kendal a solid start to the game.

New Zealander Jamie How continued his incredible start to the season with an unbeaten 128 off just 100 balls, including eight fours and 11 sixes, as Kendal batted to 228-2 for a nine-point winning draw.

Progress was slow but steady as the openers were patient on a dry but greenish pitch that had spent most of the week undercover.

Donny Du Plessis was the first wicket to fall when he was bowled by first change bowler Niall Burke with the score on 31 in the 15th over.

Professional How joined Heywood at the crease and these two put on a stand of 157 for the second wicket. How survived a dropped chance on 16 when keeper Davies dived across in front of first slip and spilled the chance.

But he immediately punished the mistake with the next four deliveries going for four, two, six and a single. Heywood at the other end was providing excellent support as How then opened up an all-out assault on the Darwen bowling with several deliveries disappearing on to the A6 over the houses on Shap Road.

The partnership was broken when Heywood fell to returning opener Neil Cordingley. Evergreen Terry Hunte joined How to put on a further 40 runs to close Kendal's innings as they put on 150 runs off the last 20 overs.

Kendal struck early in Darwen's reply as Scott Jackson was removed first ball by Stu Parkin and Jack White followed up by claiming the scalp of sub-pro M.Z.Khan.

A short break for rain removed six overs from the Darwen innings and next wicket to fall was quick-scoring opener Alex Davies, who was caught in the deep by White off Nick Lewthwaite. Danny Fradd soon followed, caught at the wicket by Gary Baker. The three Cordingley brothers played a few shots for their brief innings as Stu Parkin picked up three wickets in seven balls to give Kendal a sniff of victory. Niall Burke and Nathan Jackson held out for eight overs for the match to finish in a draw. Darwen claimed two points from the game.