9:34am Friday 22nd June 2012
By Daniel Orr
THE first day of the Great North Swim on Windermere has been postponed.
The two-mile event had to be called off because of strong winds and will now be incorporated into Sunday's programme.
Plans for Saturday's one mile swim remain unchanged, as does Sunday's half mile swim which will be followed by today's postponed two-mile event at 3pm.
All participants have been notified by email and text or phone message of the change.
The decision was taken this morning by the independent event planning group, as the weather forecast for today predicts strong gusting winds and torrential rain, which are expected to ease overnight.
The programme is set to be replicated on Sunday afternoon, with weather conditions being monitored on a regular basis.
All participants will be offered a full refund of their event entry fee if they are unable to participate.
David Hart, of organisers Nova International, said: “We are sorry to delay the two mile event by 48 hours and fully understand the inconvenience this will cause, but the safety and well-being of our participants will always be our number one priority.”
For more information visit www.greatswim.org
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group