Sunday saw the replay of the Hackney & Leigh Final, which was abandoned two weeks ago because of rain.

The rain on Saturday could have put the match in jeopardy but immense effort by the Cartmel groundsman made sure the match went ahead.

The competition is for teams in divisions one, two and three of the Westmorland Cricket League.

Winning the toss, Warton put Shireshead into bat and bowled a very tight 14 overs with just 21 runs from Graeme Crowther and 12 from Ryan Needham but no wickets until Needham got a breakthrough in his last over, having Joe Cunliffe LBW for 6.

This brought Phil Bovis to the middle and, along with opener Tom Jacques, they built a substantial platform with a partnership of 88 from the next 14 overs, until Jacques was caught by Patel off Jamie Cassidy at 123-2 with seven overs to go. This should have seen Shireshead posting a score of around 170. However, Warton dug deep and managed to restrict Shireshead to just 31 runs for the last eight wickets to finish on 154 all out on the last ball of the innings.

In reply Warton had a terrible start, losing opener Stuart Mayor for 0 in the first over and then third man Saead Patel for 5 in the third over to make it 10-2.

A solid partnership between Jeff Winder and captain Ryan Nelson took the score to 57 before Nelson was caught by Rafferty off the bowling of Wilson on 5. This brought Tom Barnfield to the middle and a partnership of 39 before Winder was bowled by Jack saw Warton needing 6.5 an over from the last 9. Over 28 saw 14 runs scored but then Barnfield was caught by Wilson off Oliver, leaving Ricky Nelson and Graham Cassidy at the crease.

Cassidy was another Wilson victim on 0 leaving them 127-6 with three overs left.

After Nelson was caught, Crowther hit a massive six, meaning six were required from the last ball. Somehow the 'keeper missed the delivery and it rolled through for four byes.

Warton picked up their first major cup for 12 years. For his 61 and anchoring the innings Jeff Winder was named Man of the Match.