JOHN Mason put on a great showing in his last match as captain of Netherfield despite their four-wicket defeat to Barrow.

He scored 61 off 68 balls before he was controversially run out by Gary Collins.

A straight drive was hit by Netherfield sub-pro Mitchell Clayden which was allegedly diverted onto the non-striking wicket where Mason was stood via a deft touch from Collins.

The Barrow bowler claimed Mason was out of his crease but despite Mason vehemently denying this, the umpires sided with Barrow and Mason walked with the score at 157-5 in the 42nd over.

Chris Parry and Ben Haddrick had gotten Netherfield off to a good start with a 47-run partnership after ‘Field won the toss and decided to bat.

Parry scored 23 and Haddrick 24, and another good pairing of Marc Brown and Mason added 60 to the scoreboard before Marc Brown was caught by Ryan Brown off Liam Livingstone to make it 151-4.

It was six runs later when the Mason incident struck, and wickets began to fall with slightly more regularity from this point as Australian sub-pro Clayden added 18, as did Chris Williams, while John Huck, who played despite an injury, struck 10 batting from number seven.

Robbie Lambert was run out for seven on the last ball of the innings as he failed by a whisker to get Netherfield up to the 200 mark, the Parkside Road outfit having to settle for 199-9 after their 50 overs.

In reply Chris Williams struck to get the dangerous Jon Miles out for three when stand-in wicketkeeper Chris Parry caught him in the fourth over as Barrow were reduced to 14-1 early on.

The introduction of Ryan Brown sparked the game going towards the favour of Barrow after Nicky Burns was bowled by Clayden for 19 in the 13th over to make it 44-2.

Pieter Malan and Ryan Brown scored a partnership of 42 but more runs were needed if Barrow were going to knock off their target of 200.

However Malan’s wicket, out when Marc Hadwin bowled him for 41, simply brought in Liam Livingstone, whose 48 off 51 balls was the catalyst for Barrow to secure their win as he upped the run rate.

He also put on a partnership of 76 with Ryan Brown, who was solid throughout the innings on his way to 65 not out, as Barrow came to within 38 runs of victory when Livingstone was caught by Bradley Earl off Marc Brown just two runs shy of his half-century.

Chris D’Leny was out for two and Greg Reynolds dismissed for eight but Netherfield simply couldn’t stop Ryan Brown and Barrow secured a 12-point success with four wickets left.